What do the ToS mean to you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

livinoz

Contributor
Reaction score
This post is not exactly scuba related, but more about some of the occurrences on this board.

So, do the TOS mean anything to you? Have you personally read them? That's what I'd like to know.

I ask this because in the short time I've been here, I've seen people being harassed for expressing an opinion when it differs from that of the original poster, and I've read through replies on many threads when someone has disagreed with another poster and then resorted to name calling or a personal attack on that person's intelligence or training. Whatever happened to "discussion" or "agreeing to disagree"? I'm not naïve enough to think that with over 100,000 members using this forum, differences of opinion aren't going to occur. In fact I have always believed that debate and a constructive comment or criticism provide a great opportunity to learn, but it's the way those differences have been expressed in some cases that have disillusioned me a bit and prevented me from asking many questions. I prefer to read rather than ask in case I'm made the target of someone's criticism, and not of the "constructive" variety. In my opinion I don't think anyone deserves to be personally attacked on a scuba forum, or anywhere else for that matter.

The very first line of the TOS states:

This is a friendly forum based on mutual respect.

and further down:

Profane, racial, insulting or mean spirited language is simply not allowed here and this includes any sort of harassment or cyber-bullying.

I joined here to learn, to see what I could look forward to, and to gain from the experience and insight of those who also enjoy this sport. But even on some of the threads about the technical aspects of diving I've seen people use personal attack and "mean spirited" language to make their point; I know many calmly and succinctly argue their case, but some don't and unfortunately the voices raised in anger often seem to be the loudest. For those of us new to the board it is very off-putting to read such argumentative threads and I believe it leads to people remaining silent, not willing to question or express an opinion for fear of being criticised or being labeled as "silly". I also believe the "lurkers" who read the board and then choose not to join, may feel the same way. There are those brave enough to finally speak up, but again, they aren't always treated with respect when they do.

Can I ask then, what is the point of this forum? I thought it was to exchange information, to learn, to have a friendly conversation with other people who share a love of this wonderful sport, not to be treated with disrespect, or to be shot down.

I know full well I may be "flamed" as it's called for making this post, and that people will think, "WTH? She's just joined and she has the temerity to criticise?" But I think I've dared to speak up where others prefer not to. I know I'm personally not enjoying reading through confrontational threads, especially when I’m trying to weed out the unnecessarily argumentative things and get to the gist of it in order to understand and learn. And I believe I am entitled to express my opinion about that and to put the point-of-view of the "newbie". And I've no doubt I'll find out in no uncertain terms how people feel regarding what I’ve said, or alternatively be ignored. But I for one don’t think it's acceptable for someone to reply rudely to anyone, no matter how vehemently they hold to their opinion. Yes, I know where the "report" button is, and maybe it needs to be used more often instead of people merely "putting up" with this constant bickering, but can't we, as adults, demonstrate the "mutual respect" talked about in the TOS rather than having to resort to "moderation"?

Thanks for your time.

As with anywhere you go, you will find 'certain people' that feel that the rules do not apply to them, internet included. On SB there are tools to help avoid or deal with them. The ignore button is one, as you identify certain individual posters whose opinions and comments you would prefer to avoid add them to your ignore list and you will not see the texts of their posts unless you choose(or unless someone who is not on ignore quotes them). You can also 'ignore' an entire thread if you choose. I find ton's of great information and advice on SB, even if one must sort the wheat from the chaff.

If you see a post that violates the TOS you need only use the report button and those who constantly violate TOS will be given a vacation by the mods.

I feel the moderators do a great job of balancing freedom of expression with polite TOS, and always remember they are volunteers with real jobs and lives so I try to help them by reporting any obvious TOS violations and by trying to avoid commiting them myself. I am better at that now than when I was a SB newb.

Remember to try not to take any of the idiots personally and to have fun.

Yes, the moderators do a great job, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise. What I was saying is that as a group, people should respect the views of others more and then the newer members like myself wouldn't be put off so much. I believe as adults we should be able to act more responsibly and not have to resort to the report button all the time.

Thanks, I'll remember the "ignore" list.

Can I ask then, what is the point of this forum? I thought it was to exchange information, to learn, to have a friendly conversation with other people who share a love of this wonderful sport, not to be treated with disrespect, or to be shot down.

I thought it was to be treated with disrespect and shot down. I mean, that's why we all got into diving, isn't it? :wink:

Yes, the moderators do a great job, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise. What I was saying is that as a group, people should respect the views of others more and then the newer members like myself wouldn't be put off so much. I believe as adults we should be able to act more responsibly and not have to resort to the report button all the time.

Thanks, I'll remember the "ignore" list.

It helps if you remember how many people are on scubaboard(over 100k members) and that most of them are respectful of others viewpoints. Also remember many on SB are not adult yet, and some of our younger members may be logging in under 'assumed' profile information and trying to pass themselves off as adult. And that some of our actual adults aren't really :wink: Have fun diving, both real and cyber :)

I completely agree with you. People can differ without fighting about it. Or maybe I should say that people SHOULD be able to disagree without fighting, because sometimes on this board it doesn't seem that they actually CAN.

Yep... there's nothing I like better than when my dive buddy's abusing me during a long and boring surface interval...

"Well, obviously you don't know anything at all about diving and are a complete idiot, because the visibility in this lake is 2.5 feet (that's 1.4683 pentameters for tech divers, and I am one) and not 2.25 feet."

It helps if you remember how many people are on scubaboard(over 100k members) and that most of them are respectful of others viewpoints. Also remember many on SB are not adult yet, and some of our younger members may be logging in under 'assumed' profile information and trying to pass themselves off as adult. And that some of our actual adults aren't really :wink: Have fun diving, both real and cyber :)

Hmm, yes there's always that too I suppose. And I am enjoying my diving! I just felt the need to say something as I know there are those of us who are put off by this "cyber-bullying" and that's a real pity because this board has some excellent information.

Yep... there's nothing I like better than when my dive buddy's abusing me during a long and boring surface interval...

"Well, <i>obviously</i> you don't know anything at all about diving and are a complete idiot, because the visibility in this lake is <i>2.5 feet</i> (that's 1.4683 pentameters for tech divers, and I am one) and not 2.25 feet."

There are those who like nothing better than a good argument.... but there are ways of dealing with them in real life I believe!

Back
Top Bottom