What do you do to be a better solo diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

down4fun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This thread is not to dicuss if one should solo dive or not, nor to discuss why those of us who solo dive do it. But rather I am wondering for those of us who do solo dive what do you do to become a better solo diver? I realize all skills are important whether diving with a buddy or solo, but are there any specific skills or techniques that you practice because you solo? For instance I solo with a 19cf pony bottle and pratice switching from my back gas to the pony like I would have to do if I had some sort of failure in my primary gas source. So what do you do to be a better solo diver?

All of the redundancy is good but one thing that you can count on is yourself. That requires a base level of fittness (which sad to say I need to work on some--uh--well). While not a popular notion in this post fitness era that began about 1993, physical fittness actually is a requirment of diving and solo diving in particular. Having a modest base level of fittness makes everything easier, less stressful and ultimately reduces the inclination to panic in stressful situations.

I have the 19cf pony also, now set up to side sling thanks to instructions from the DIR and Hog forums, they have some good ideas on such things. I don't alsways use it, especially if only to 30 or 40 feet depth.

I also go to the Y pool and after swimming laps, they let me use my scuba equipment in the deep end. I do practice doff and don, swaping regulators, switching to the pony, dumping gear, clearing masks and regulators (since I dive double hose) and other such drills. Sometimes the pool actually is a better place to practice such things. In fact, I am headed there now. N

My most important thing, is I know my limit, like with alchohol. I do not go deeper than 100 ft because I dive air usually and get a bit goofy, like my protective inhibitions drop. I liken it to drinking one and driving but I cannot have two over an hour and then drive...

lately, the mental game of focusing on a task like shooting my marker when alone, in poor viz, calmed my mind when I started tripping a bit on tiger sharks. Controlling my own mental game has been my challenge that yields the most rewards.

Dennis and I looking at 15 ft ponys. I keep resisiting because of the drag, I am already pretty encombered with the camera.

Oh...I am more conservative regarding shore dives (as in I don't do them solo). I, as a solo diver am very dependent on the captain for my pick-up. That relationship is fostered a bit by optimizing my communication with him and blowing my marker on the last portion of the drift, once seperated, so he is not too worried because he knows where I am the last 15 minutes as he plucks the other divers out of the water. For me, keeping a good relationship with the captains is has been critical, otherwise they would not put up with me.

13cf with a Quick Draw bracket. Lots of air based on our SACs and depths.

Some solo divers feel the need to carry two of everything, I tend to fall more into the get rid of everything you don't really need, simplify and streamline getting rid of things that bind and catch and tangle and eliminating things that require additional attention. Two regulaotrs, may offer reducndancy but also offer twice the opportunity of failure, something else to tangle, tug, catch and something else to require your attention. Now, that is an example, I am not saying to ditch a second regulator but for some profiles--do you need it? especially if for example you are carrying that pony.

The dive itself, keep it simple, no complicated profiles if possible, in other words, simplify everything. N

I think you're right about certain profiles like maybe above 100' Nemrod. I have not been using a pony in those profiles but I might start. I have my gear serviced by my local LDS who are very reputable, after each trip. I've got a lot of confidence in my equipment.

Conditioning is a good point. I need a bit more of it.

I don't need a lot of practice switching to my pony. Both regs are within easy reach as is the valve knob on the pony. I always reach behind me to turn it on briefly and pressurize the hose. That verifies it is where it should be.

Keeping gear in good maintenance is another good idea. I service my regs although not as frequently as many others. I buy good, reliable equipment (generally dive with Mk10/G250's only). I ensure sufficient redundancy, sometimes "too much" redundancy.

I dive often. I think frequent diving helps keep one thinking about one's skills, profiles and equipment. I probably wouldn't dive solo if I only dove a few times a year.

I've never had to use my pony... except the one dive I planned to go to just 40' but ended up at 70' following a bat ray with my camera. That was also the one dive I didn't carry it. I never dive without one now. Also helps maintain appropriate weighting, etc.

Although I've been diving solo for some 40 years now, I would never recommend to another that they do it. I cannot assess their abilities and their "cool" under fire. Perhaps the only one who should recommend a diver go solo is the instructor who solo certifies them.

As far as preperation goes I believe a proper mental outlook is as important as equipment. I make certain that I have a clear mind, am totally relaxed yet focused on my goals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom