What do you do to be a better solo diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just started diving last April again after about 5 years and have dome about 390 dives since then, almost half on dive trips. Unless I solo, I'm always with new buddies. I would say about one third I trusted and the rest I had to watch throughout the dive.

Do things by yourself and don't talk to anybody for a period of time. Get used to your mind and ask yourself all the fool questions you need to ask before you go diving. You'll enjoy the dives better :wink:
Get in the zone and concentrate. There are a number of things that will fill the bill at the surface. I'm a Watchmaker and I can get lost on a project for some time if I'm left alone and the concentration level is like that of Scuba for me , maybe more at times.
If you need intense try cutting brush with a chain saw. That's an intense solo deal too you know !! :D
Running is a solo deal for me too. 5 mile runs get me used to being alone and thinking to myself. I've done that for years and it works. It gets rid if stress too.

Ohhh and a....
Kiss your Wife often !!! ( works for me eyebrow )

I got a real pressure gauge to replace the unreadable "button" gauge on my 19cf (you-will-die) pony. If you carry it like a stage, its easy to adjust for pick-up buddies and depth.

I have tried to streamline all my gear. I have two cutting tools, two lights, a SMB and a lift bag, and carry a pony. Trying to cover my bases without taking the kitchen sink. My dives are always from a charter that knows me well. Usual profiles are a wreck any where from 60-125' followed by a reef of 60' or less. I do enter the wrecks, however the local wrecks are barely more than swim thrus and stripped clean. Mentally I believe I am prepared. I have, in the past, been faced with a panic situation where I talked myself down and was able to do the next right thing (something you will never know until faced with a real situation). I dive almost every weekend and solo sites I have been to before, some many times. Fitness is one area I need to improve on. The ocean can be a humbling thing and I am not so ignorant as to think I am above learning to be a better diver. I appreciate the in put so far.

Most of my solo dives are night shore dives for lobster. The biggest safety rule I have is " when in doubt, scrub the dive." The biggest danger in solo diving, in my experience, is the entry and exit, not the dive. Fall and hit your head on the rocks during the day with a buddy and you'll probable be OK. Do it alone at night and the consequences can be permanent. I don't solo dive anywhere that I have not dove several times with buddies, the familiarity factor reduces stress and leaves the mind free for the task at hand.

I carry a 13cf pony with the reg bungied to my neck. The tank is mounted with circle clamps to my bp/w bands and I can't easily reach the valve so I leave it on throughout the dive. One knife, two flashlights. All solo dives are within NDLs so I can always blow for the surface in an emergency.

Other than that, it's pretty much just diving.

I stay under 100' when solo. I streamlined all of my gear, and went to a wrist mount air intergrated computer so I know exactly where I stand on air. Set the low gas alarms to give myself time if I failed to keep up with my tank pressure. Dove in the pool and ran the air out to zero to verify the accuracy of the equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom