What do you do to be seen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

makes for terrible pics with all those reflective surfaces.

I almost said that...

divers look so no nice as just a black profile, secondary to the beautiful colors of nature...

I don't think being visible saves that many people underwater...

I'm currently fighting the urge to go cami-freediver style.

catherine96821:
I almost said that...

divers look so no nice as just a black profile, secondary to the beautiful colors of nature...

I don't think being visible saves that many people underwater...

I'm currently fighting the urge to go cami-freediver style.

We know a thing or two about green water to green-minus water diving in SoCal. If you dive with your regular buddies, and have been, you just don't lose yourselves anymore. Claudette and I have had to do the pop and look one time in nearly 250 dives - it was in 13' of water on a lobster dive - when we couldn't see a bloody thing, including a 21w HID from 10 feet away. The stakes were very low, so we drifted off - we both had an attack of the guilts and nearly simultaneously popped up. After we stopped laughing and gagging sea water, we dropped and its never happened again.

Even with I dive with people for the first time, we don't get lost at night, in bad water, in rough conditions, etc. It just doesn't happen.

You gotta dive to stay found. That means no Crazy Ivans, disclose your intentions, dive to the plan, you both know the route, the nav points, light communication, touch communication in no viz, etc. And I'm a photographer - I still don't lose buddies.

This isn't a big deal. If you're constantly losing your buddy, bright colors (or worse - lame noise makers) aren't gonna change things. You need to be open to the fact its very likely its not 100% your buddy's fault.

---
Ken

fisherdvm:
I was going to paint tiger stripes on my hood... I might do the same to my black wetsuit....

Probably will scare away the tiger sharks!!

I like the idea, but it may well end up with the paint flaking off into the ocean.

My gear is mostly black, but I dive with doubled yellow fabers, and a can light.

Xman:
I like the idea, but it may well end up with the paint flaking off into the ocean.

My gear is mostly black, but I dive with doubled yellow fabers, and a can light.

As I understand, wetsuits are porous neoprene. Some are coated, but some are not. As they are coated, they will take up paint. I think when they stretch, the paint will crack, but will not flake. That explains why they can silk screen designs and logos on wetsuits.

White gloves with reflective stripe on the hood and bright yellow stripes painted across the fins :)

I don't know if any of those are a rule 6 violation or not :D

fisherdvm:
As I understand, wetsuits are porous neoprene. Some are coated, but some are not. As they are coated, they will take up paint. I think when they stretch, the paint will crack, but will not flake. That explains why they can silk screen designs and logos on wetsuits.

Wetsuits are made from closed cell neoprene and are not porous. Both characteristics are the key to them functioning.

The nylon facing is somewhat absorbent. My experience so far has been that the stretching will eventually make the graphics break down and crack but not usually peel.

Pete

I carry a 1400 lumen light that can be seen from space :)

and a strobe in the ocean as well as smb and liftbag if needed (yellow).

Here is Photo of a diver I took while diving the Bahamas in January.

beSceen2.jpg

Definatly can't be missed.

What sharks would eat that?? Can't mistake him for a seal !!

I didn't purchase it to be seen, but I understand my hot pink wing is very visible!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom