What do you do when the cab driver lies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree wit Don also. If the union hasn’t updated their prices maybe they should. Strive for honesty and integrity. Dont give people reasons to not want to return.

I had a waitress once in Buenos Aires that was putting great effort into scamming/stealing money from me. I kept trying to tell her if she gives me good attentive service, I’ll give (tip) her more than she’ll ever steal from me.

I believe rates were last increased in late 2016.

@DandyDon I'm with you. I don't like being lied to, even if it is a small amount. I don't mind giving to charities, but I don't have a specific desire to give to the taxi mafia. While many drivers are nice (and those I tip well), I've also had a number of experiences where drivers tried to hit me with the Gringo tax. I think I would have handled it the same way, and would not have added any tip onto the negotiated (increased) rate. I don't tip those who try to over-charge me.
Ok, but, we are talking about $0.70 (seventy cents) more. I personally would not stress out about that. Instead, I’d look at the sea and think, wow, glad I am not in an office working today. Just say’n

It’s Mexico…we all pay the gringo tax.

It‘s Mexico…there are no rules, only suggestions.

It’s Mexico…if there are rules…those are suggestions as well.

It‘s Mexico…if a rule become a suggestion but then reverts back to a rule…it’s still a suggestion, unless it is also simultaneously a rule, in which case it is just a suggested operational guideline. That’s the rule.

It‘s Mexico…there are no lies, just different versions of the truth…perhaps an occasional misunderstanding. Probably due to the language barrier….amigo.

It’s Mexico…the dollar to peso exchange rate is a suggestion (see above) only that will vary from shop to shop and minute by minute, ingoing or outgoing tide, moon phase, wind direction, the particular ferry in operation that day, humidity index, Celsius or Fahrenheit temperature measurement, odd or even number passports, whether Mega had the little bananas that are like crack in stock, whether Noche Bueno is in season, some College Algebra, and three other mandatory factors that I forgot…

It’s Mexico…the tequila you tasted and thought you purchased won’t be anything close to the tequila you open at home. The tequila you brought home does make excellent paint thinner though.

It’s Mexico…you probably shouldn’t get that jewelry you bought appraised once you get home.

It’s Mexico…the authentic Mexican blanket/pancho/drugrug you purchased was probably made by a 5 year old Asian kid. Still make great gifts though.

It’s Mexico…a family of 5, and a dog, on a scooter is perfectly normal.

It’s Mexico…the traffic accident is your fault.

It’s Mexico…no one speaks English if you have a problem with them, but it’s more fun to not let them know you habla the Espanol Until it’s time to let them know

It’s Mexico…That’s why we are here.

Seriously Though, I expect honesty for those around me, but I just have to adjust my offend-o-meter to the Mexico setting once I get on the plane. With the exception of cabs, tourist crap shop owners, and airport personnel, 95% of the people I have dealt with in Cozumel have been wonderfully honest to deal with. Besides, if you know you are being lied to…is it really a lie if you are not fooled? I accept the gringo tax as a standard cost of a Mexican Vacation that offers world class diving, friendly people, incredible food, and an easy day of travel(mostly) for about a third of the cost anywhere else in the world….including America. If I know I’m getting gringo taxed, I just don’t tip as much or at all.

Should you be reading this while in Cozumel, please have the Lionfish Marsala at New Especias for me and wash it down with a very cold Bohemia Obscura (or 10) for me!!

Safe Travels,
Jay

I’ve used Uber in Mexico

This is more fun than even the tipping threads! :wink:

Further to my thoughts about making at least a half-hearted effort to negotiate, it has always seemed to me that Mexico has a culture of bargaining. Sure, there are establishments where prices are non-negotiable, but if there is an opportunity for a Mexican to ask a high price (and thus open the door to negotiations), I'm not surprised they will take that opportunity. If someone asks a high price, they know they are opening the door to negotiation. The taxi rates should be in the non-negotiable category, but my guess is the taxi drivers don't like it, especially now that the rates are in need of updating.

There are people whose respect is important to me and there are people whose respect I do not care one way or the other about. For the former I will go to great lengths, for the latter I won't waste my time. YMMV.
Good point. Will I feel more respected by negotiating with a taxi driver I will be with for a total of five minutes? Or should I save the negotiations for someone I interact with for a bit longer? I dunno. It might be different if I were living there and had to deal with this every day--it might get tiresome--but for me, an infrequent visitor, every tiny opportunity to interact with a local is part of the reason I enjoy visiting.

So most of you don't care about the dishonesty of bait and switch?
I don't see it as "dishonesty" as much as a reflection of a culture of negotiation.

It’s Mexico…That’s why we are here.
Exactly.

Uber is prevalent in mainland areas like Mexico City, doesn't exist in Yucatan/Coz.
I'm thinking the "taxi mafia" is very much a Coz and region thing.

Uber and other ridesharing apparently exists in Merida, for example. (I haven't tried it.)
Is there Uber in Mérida?
"Of course, hail a regular taxi when in a busy area. Be sure to negotiate the fee up front. Metered rides do not exist with taxis here."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom