What do you do when the cab driver lies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it's a racial issue in part. It's their rate card, but not for gringos.
Probably more of local rate vs a tourist rate. I saw and experienced the same in Egypt. I learned to stand behind a local when buying food so to know what they paid. The tourist price was typically twice 60 cents vs 30 cents for a sweet roll or similar.

Knowing the local price was really helpful as sometimes vendors wanted ridiculous prices so I would refuse and walk up the next stall. Once had a vendor who I refused to buy from because of their prices watched me go up the street to another vendor. First started yelling at the second not sell to me below his prices. Which he did so I went to another market.

Probably more of local rate vs a tourist rate. I saw and experienced the same in Egypt. I learned to stand behind a local when buying food so to know what they paid. The tourist price was typically twice 60 cents vs 30 cents for a sweet roll or similar.

Knowing the local price was really helpful as sometimes vendors wanted ridiculous prices so I would refuse and walk up the next stall. Once had a vendor who I refused to buy from because of their prices watched me go up the street to another vendor. First started yelling at the second not sell to me below his prices. Which he did so I went to another market.
You literally walked around, wasting your time to avoid paying .30 more?

I have to agree with Don here. As someone that used to travel to Cozumel six times a year, I have reduced my visits greatly over the last two years. Why? Because I'm getting tired of people trying to take advantage of me when I'm there. Yes, it may only be .70 in this instance, but it adds up over the week AND it takes the joy out of my vacation when people are constantly trying to hustle me. I ABSOLUTELY love that island, but the opportunistic people there trying to take advantage of tourists is going to cost them a lot of revenue.

I don't argue with the cab drivers. We ALL KNOW how much it's supposed to be (me and the driver). So, if I'm quoted the correct price, I tip. If I'm not, I pay what's on the taxi schedule and no more.

This issue has absolutely nothing to do with how much money I or the cab driver has in the bank. It has nothing to do with how impoverished Mexico is and them working for low wages. It has EVERYTHING to do with honesty and integrity. I will not reward dishonesty.

Take your pick, the Cayman Islands or Cozumel? I know I'm going to pay the "Mexico tax" in Cozumel but for the money, it's a very inexpensive place to dive. Or go to the Cayman Islands, pay a lot more and no "Mexico tax." BTW, we just got back from the NW wall of Grand Cayman and had a great time with excellent food and a wonderful time.

Don’t cab drivers always lie? I’m convinced the meter was the only thing keeping Chicago cabbies semi-honest.

The following is merely my opinion.

When we vacation in Mexico, even on Cozumel, we are taking advantage of the economic disparities that exist between where we live and the place we are visiting. We should not be surprised when the people who live there try to get a little more from us for goods and services than they would from their fellow residents, i.e., with the so called "gringo tax". When it amounts to literally pennies, going to the mat over it makes us seem petty, and it fuels the "ugly American" stereotype. YMMV, but I won't do it.

In the scenario Don lays out, the only action I might take is to make note of the cab number and not give him any more of my business.

A quick google search says that those rates are set by the taxi union in Cozumel. It's called Lic. Adolfo Lopez Mateos according to the Cozumel Sun. So if the driver is a member of that union, you could conceivably figure out how to complain to that union. I don't read or speak Mexican Spanish (or Castilian for that matter), so I wasn't able to figure out much more about it. Are you sure that compliance is compulsory for cab drivers?

I doubt Mexico has laws against Bait & Switch or most other business practices that we've deemed illegal inside the US.

Attachments

• cozumel taxi ratecard 1.jpg
    cozumel taxi ratecard 1.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 31
  • cozumel taxi ratecard 2.jpg
    cozumel taxi ratecard 2.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 38
The following is merely my opinion.

When we vacation in Mexico, even on Cozumel, we are taking advantage of the economic disparities that exist between where we live and the place we are visiting. We should not be surprised when the people who live there try to get a little more from us for goods and services than they would from their fellow residents, i.e., with the so called "gringo tax". When it amounts to literally pennies, going to the mat over it makes us seem petty, and it fuels the "ugly American" stereotype. YMMV, but I won't do it.

In the scenario Don lays out, the only action I might take is to make note of the cab number and not give him any more of my business.

I think it fuels the "ugly Mexican" stereotype. Again, it's not about the amount but the constant barrage of hustling that leaves you wondering with every transaction if you are getting fleeced. And if you accept it, just like paying a bribe to a cop instead of insisting on the ticket, it just encourages more of it. If Mexico doesn't want to be thought of as a Third World country then maybe it should stop with the Third World practices? Maybe Mexico is what it is because of thise "culture"?

I think it fuels the "ugly Mexican" stereotype. Again, it's not about the amount but the constant barrage of hustling that leaves you wondering with every transaction if you are getting fleeced. And if you accept it, just like paying a bribe to a cop instead of insisting on the ticket, it just encourages more of it. If Mexico doesn't want to be thought of as a Third World country then maybe it should stop with the Third World practices? Maybe Mexico is what it is because of thise "culture"?
If it so bad why fo you go there?

If it so bad why fo you go there?

It's not "so bad" because I am able to keep it manageable. And I go other places, too. I guess you never have a complaint about anything, ever.

Back
Top Bottom