What do you keep in your BCD/Thigh Pocket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have one of those strap on thigh pockets from DR.
And I keep the same thing in it always.
The straps used to secure it IF it were in use.
These strap on thigh pockets are IMHO apsolute garbage.
I'm saving mine to glue onto a drysuit.
Then, I will keep Tables,Spare Mask, and such in it.
Until then, I just use it to pad the bottom of my spare gear box.

Drysuit pockets, as follows:

Right - EMT shears, spare mask, wetnotes, AquaPencil

Left - Flexible snorkel, SMB and attached spool, surface emergency kit (Storm whistle, signal mirror, GloToob, nylon strap), DAN tag

On my usual simple dives, only my empty shell collecting net bag, which comes out if/when I find something. That's about all that will fit in the BCD pocket due to the integrated 10 pound weights, though I can squeeze my back-up light in there if I have to. The rest of the safety stuff I clip on.

Wet suit pocket - slates (deco + instructor) and, when carried, my spare mask.

1+. I use my wetsuit thigh pocket to carry a slate.

Best wishes.

Drysuit pocket:
SMB with attatched finger spool
Shears
wetnotes (that has a bunch of deco info in it)

Right BCD pocket: Secondary light for looking into promising looking holes for critters.

Left BCD pocket: Pair of dive gloves. (I try not to wear them all the time so I'm not tempted to touch stuff, but put them on if the exit is rough, esp if I need to hold onto the bottom during wave surges.) I'm taking rescue now and am considering keeping a pocket mask with my gloves, but haven't decided yet.

My DSMB with reel and shears in sheath are clipped to D-rings.

Left pocket is the "Oh Crap" pocket and has:
spare mask
ememrgency yellow lift bag

Right pocket has:
MP3 player
slate
jon line
keys to my El Camino (cave dives)

A stainless, lock-back knife.

Currently, my right dry suit thigh pocket contains my reel and slate, while my left pocket has my DSMB and a small signal mirror. Every item in the pockets gets clipped to the bungie cord thats threaded through loops sewn into the pockets I'm planning on purchasing a spool to leave attached to the DSMB, and buying a different, more compact reel. Occasionally I've simply left my reel clipped to my right rear D-ring but it tends to end up under my tank when I sit down to de-kit.

Right BCD pocket holds the canister for my Green Force can light (until I get a "proper" mounting option), and the left BCD pocket now holds my emergency shears. Previously had the shears on the strap over the cumber band until the sheath broke (don't know how). My backup light resides on my shoulder strap (conveniently pointing directly to my computer) so I don't have to fumble for it if I need it quickly, and I have a strobe on the other shoulder.

BC pocket: safety sausage, small flashlight, shock-corded tentpole and large foldable plastic orange flag as a signal device when it is windy. I've personally seen safety sausages blow over and be useless on windy days and are hard to see in large seas.

Before my next dive trip I plan to also put a signal mirror in my pocket.

I have a whistle attached to my BC. I consider them largely useless if there is much wind but it may be better than nothing.

Back
Top Bottom