What do you recommend buying/not buying online?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 for online buying... just make sure that youre lds supports and,services whatever you get (of course thats for gearthat needs servicing)

And be prepared to pay for that "service & support", if you have purchased online and then stroll right in to your LDS for support. The VALUE of purchasing locally is the relationship, and the often included FREE Service & Support", and unlimited questions, visits and phone calls. Also, another thing to remember, if you purchase a product online from a dealer/seller who is not an Authorised Reseller/Dealer of "said brand or product", you will often have NO WARRANTY. I can't tell you how many times I've been standing in my LDS, (no I don't work there or in the Scuba products industry), where I have seen people come in that "purchased online", and expect not only free service/repairs/adjustments, but warranty work on gray market products that were purchased from NON AUTHORISED RESELLERS, only to find out that they are "up the creek" and start flipping out ! It's rather amusing actually. See Aqualungs website about their thoughts/policy on Gray Market, Non Authorised resellers, etc. Price is one thing, but VALUE is another. Just my 2 cents.

Well how about this? I will service any reg of the brand I sell no matter where it was bought and charge the same as I would someone who bought it from me. I don't play warranty games with where you got it or when it was due for service. The brand I sell doesn't have a free parts gimmick so there's no issue with that. Bought it from another dealer and want me to assemble it? sure. No problem. Want me to assemble your reg set? Got it from another dealer? OK no problem. For one I've sold it's free. For one I've not there is a small charge for my time and shipping if needed.

I've handled issues for people that did not get their items from me. Why? Because it's the right thing to do. And if I was an Aqualung or ScubaPro dealer and you bought it "grey market" I wouldn't give a rat's behind. You're in my store now. That makes you a customer and I'm going to take care of you cause the next time you just might buy from me and I won't let a mfg tell me how to treat my customers.

I don't see "grey market". I see green as in cash in my place now. Where you spent it before I couldn't care less. I'm going to use this as an opportunity to treat you right and have you come back. And does anyone even believe for a second that the so-called grey market is really under the table and not in some way, somewhere authorized by somebody as far as the mfg is concerned? C'mon. Gimme a break.

Great Question!!! I too support my LDS as much as I can. I live in a small community and a small state (Montana) Of course I'm talking population wise. The guy that runs my LDS is a friend who happens to make a living in a business that does not have a lot of supporters in this area. I'm prepared to pay just a little bit more than I would on line... but I'm ok with that. In the past, I've come right out and said "I was looking online at this or that, how much are you selling it for?" Of course then I have to listen to a 10 min speech about the "no warranty" thing but usually am quoted a price that is very close to what I see on line.
Back to the question of your Amazon gift cards. I would make sure that anything that I buy is can be serviced locally. Heck... I feel good enough to tell my my LDS... I have these gift cards and am going to spend em on this item, can you service this. I'm upfront, friendly and honest. They know what I'm doing and I get a place that I can hang out in, swap diving stories and find the occasional new dive buddy.

I am no lds, selling or servicing dive gear, but as jeweler I am very familiar with internet customers bringing their "finds" to me for service. Of course I service it (if the quality is sufficient, which in my field is not always true), and I charge a good $ for that service.

We do not gouge, but we do charge well for services that we would normally eat the cost of, if the customer had purchased the item from us. Personal service is a large part of what you are shopping for by dealing local, and when a customer decides to shop purely for bottom line price using the internet, they have chosen to go a la carte for everything, including service.

Thanks for all the helpful responses, everyone. You brought up some things i hadn't considered, like whether or not an LDS charges for servicing an item. (To be honest, I just assumed they would have charged me whether I had bought items from them or not.) And I agree, I would never treat an LDS like a fitting room; I'm happy to pay more $$ for an item when a shop owner takes 30 minutes to help me out and answer my questions.

I have a feeling I may end up going with the BCD; I've worn the Knighthawk before and I like it, and there seem to be more in-store deals on computers and regs coming up. (Including that Suunto free wireless transmitter deal I keep seeing banner ads for...may have to check that out.)

And be prepared to pay for that "service & support", if you have purchased online and then stroll right in to your LDS for support. The VALUE of purchasing locally is the relationship, and the often included FREE Service & Support", and unlimited questions, visits and phone calls.

well everybody's situation is different... so depends on your lds.. my LDS is cool and he understand the economics so he wont hold a grudge if i didnt buy from him...

after i bought my gear (i assembled) then went to him to vet and make adjustments where necessary (hose placement, clips on bc etc)... additionally i purchased gear i know he is an authorized dealer for and also ensured that i purchased from an authorized dealer (leisurepro.com)...

ONLINE DOESN'T MEAN GREY MARKET!!! and if you have an LDS that gives you a hard time because you didnt purchase from them... find another LDS...

p.s. i like Jim's approach

Allow me to clarify my earlier post. I didn't say that my LDS doesn't take care of the customer, regardless, as they do. Jim Lapenta is dead on, in that it is an opportunity to take care of the customer, be it a new on or returning one. Business 101. It's one of the reasons my LDS is successful, profitable and their business is growing. Phoenix31tt, you are correct too, in that "online doesn't mean gray market", or at least all the time. I would still do my homework and research the Online Reseller that the purchase is being made from, and verify with the Manufacturer themselves, that they are an Authorised Re-Seller (if purchasing new), and that there will be no issues in the event of Warranty issues, not just normal service issues.

ONLINE DOESN'T MEAN GREY MARKET!!! and if you have an LDS that gives you a hard time because you didnt purchase from them...

That's really an irreverent distinction and a red herring from the industry.

Your local shop doesn't care if you bought your stuff from the guy down the street or a push cart in NYC or from the moon, all he cares about is that you didn't buy it from him. That translates into actual folding green money that's not in his pocket. Just like you, he enjoys getting paid.

... find another LDS...

Feel free to buy anywhere you want, but realize that the laws of finance still apply: Businesses that don't make enough profit to stay open will close.

SCUBA shops go out of business every day. "find another LDS" is a nice phrase, but not especially useful if there was one shop in town and now there isn't.

You'll always be able to find equipment and service if you're willing pack it up and ship it out for service but that may not be as convenient as you might like.

flots.

Last edited:
I've bought several things on-line (new and used) and am an equipment tech. If you buy used, the biggest thing to keep in-mind is the condition/wear/serviceability of the item. What you think you will receive isn't necessarily the case and because of this, I wouldn't purchase a dry suit unless it was new (I've purchased 4 used suits on-line and have only been happy with one).

I've purchased seven computers (three new) and have been 100% satisfied. One computer that I ended-up selling was damaged by the post office, so be sure to have your items insured.

Make sure that you research the item that you're purchasing; so even if it's received "as advertised," it will suit your needs. I'd buy any used regulator (that would suit my needs), as you're going to want to have it serviced anyway (there's not a lot that can go wrong with a late model reg that a tech can't make right). It's all about what you pay for what you receive. There are excellent deals in used equipment out there.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom