What do you think about light weight self propelled devices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I do here the concerns of mainly being under powered. This would have to be something that I would have to consider when evaluating the pros and cons over all. I find the small light weight practical aspect is very appealing, but it would have to have at least enough power to propel me forward with my gear significantly. I would not expect it to have me zooming around like a regular scooter with all my gear, if that is what some are comparing it to. Those devices should do that that is why they are so big and heavy. Nevertheless it is amazing that I have met an innovator willing to dedicate his time to
creating such a device.

I have to disagree with the premise that it is only a pool toy. We have powerful heavy scooters right now, I would not be one to lug one of those around. This product seems really practical, and if it works well I am definitely going to share my findings.
I appreciate your comments but this innovator could use all the help he can get. Price point to make this item depends on it. I think there is a market for divers who would love something this size and weight. Even if it less powerful than the other scooters that's alright by me.

I would have to say at least it got me to think about getting one, while before I just wasn't interested.
Frank G
www.zgearinc.com

You know, if I just flap my arms really, really fast, like really fast, I might take off and fly to the moon. But it has not worked thus far, not even an itty bitty little bit. But my neighbors do give the odd look at me running up and down my drive way flapping my arms. If wishes were wishes and all that----.

The propeller certainly indicates the anemic power output. Look at the propeller on the device and then compare it to the propeller on a useful DPV. The disc area is considerably smaller so to make up for that it must spin at a higher RPM to produce equivalent thrust.

It might be fun to play with but if you are expecting any real world use dragging a SCUBA diver about with this particular device, you may as well join me on my drive way.

I do fully expect battery and motor improvements to produce useful and light(er) weight DPVs but the propeller and nozzle assembly will be sized appropriate to SCUBA use.

N

To me it still doesn't look like the target market for this device is divers. It looks to me like the target market is snorkelers and kayakers.

Also, it still doesn't look like it would be fit for purpose unless the depth rating is drastically improved. That's the big problem with the seadoo. The seadoo IS explicitly marketed to divers, even though it has a horrendously bad depth rating, which makes it about as much use as a battery powered brick.
All the seado's are rated for at least 60' except the "jr" one for little kids. Most are rated for 100, some are rated for deeper than 100. Most dives I've done so far are 100' or less. Granted I'm just a beginner compared to you, but spec wise, the devices are rated for the depths I want to go most of the time.

I'd prefer to see 130 or even 150 but I wouldn't avoid these things if my only concern about them was depth rating.

How much is is a real scooter?
I can get a pair of Jets for $139.00
Or a pair of carbon FD fins for $500
Or a dol-fin for??? (Which I heard can outrun a top of the line scooter without much effort.)
And...my fat ass can use the exercise from using the fail proof tried and trued fins, or "flippers" if you're old school.
Thank you.
You can keep your scooters, they're for lazy asses.

Sounds a "me too" to the seascooter gti. Price, depth, speed are all about the same. Seadoo has a slightly longer run-time. They also have a variety of products, from a much cheaper (and less capable) model to slightly more expensive (and more capable) units. Seadoo appears to use a larger propeller, which may account for some of the performance discrepancy between similarly priced seadoo and bixpy products.

I see this thing competing more directly with seadoo scooters than with traditional dive scooters that you are thinking of, @Z Gear The big dive scooters have more power WAY more runtime, far deeper depth rating (and the corresponding weight and pricetags to account for this).

I don't see a weight rating on the bixby, but I'd be surprised if it was significantly lighter than the seadoo (if you include the necessary bixby battery).
It says including battery it is 5 pounds! That is super light.
Handheld Aqua Booster | Bixpy LLC

Plus the fact that you can use this same motor if you like other water sport ,kayak or SUP I think sounds like a reallt cool feature!
Frank G
www.zgearinc.com

It's a pool toy...

How much thrust do you think the 4-5" prop is going to develop? For how long? since a fully laden 200lb. diver with tank, fins, and suit drag (esp. dry suit) is multiple times the drag of their bikini-clad 100lb. model shown freediving with one.

It's interesting to note that they suggest one for each hand for divers. Ummm...how's that going to work? Also there's no footage of any DIVER using it yet they show all the other options and even multiple kayak options. Gotta wonder about that...

I'd buy one using a credit card you can get your money back with. Assuming it's not just vaporware like some percentage of Kickstarter etc. projects eventually turn out to be.

Last edited:
How much is is a real scooter?
I can get a pair of Jets for $139.00
Or a pair of carbon FD fins for $500
Or a dol-fin for??? (Which I heard can outrun a top of the line scooter without much effort.)
And...my fat ass can use the exercise from using the fail proof tried and trued fins, or "flippers" if you're old school.
Thank you.
You can keep your scooters, they're for lazy asses.

Yeah I know there is a down side to getting something like this and exercise is one of them. But on the other hand I could still flutter kick, it would just make me go faster!!!!:yeahbaby:

Frank G

You know, if I just flap my arms really, really fast, like really fast, I might take off and fly to the moon. But it has not worked thus far, not even an itty bitty little bit. But my neighbors do give the odd look at me running up and down my drive way flapping my arms. If wishes were wishes and all that----.

I think your neighbors have a problem with bird man!!! Try and coincide your bird like episode for after a good football game or a stupid presidential debate!!! Then your actions will seem totally normal!

[QUOTE="Z Gear, post: ...
I have to disagree with the premise that it is only a pool toy. We have powerful heavy scooters right now, I would not be one to lug one of those around. ...
Frank G
www.zgearinc.com

A Piranna P1 is 25lbs. While that's not nothing, it's lighter than an al-80 stage bottle. Heavy is a relative term.[/QUOTE] Heavy in comparison 5 pounds compared to 25 lugging out side the water can be heavy maybe more to my wife then to me but it is still a weight difference. The biggest difference that I saw was the price 600 for a kick starter price for the bixpy jet(which you can also use the motor and attach it to other water craft (SUP or kayak). The price for the Piranha is almost $5000.oo thats crazy!!! It just way over priced and I could not justify comparing something like that. For that price it should also come with automatic wings so I could fly if I wanted too!

Speaking from the viewpoint of someone in a two Dive X household, I would welcome an alternative to the usual DPV for recreational diving.

We don't use ours as much as we could (given the investment). Our usual diving is a 2 day 6 tank over night trip staying aboard. Our DPV's are bulky and cumbersome taking up lots of room even in my F150. Batteries are a big investment, so we only have 2 each. recharging overnight is not an option so we must pick our dives carefully (assuming 1 hour run time with spare capacity) Changing the batteries over is just another hassle especially on a rolling boat.

There is a gap in the market, for something between the plastic toys and the hardcore DPV. It should be robust but light weight, have a max depth of 50m/150ft and just have the power for a single tank diver for a 1 hour dive. Ideally it would have a fast recharge rate ideally 90 - 120 mins, with of course the right price point.

It doesn't need to be capable of caves or technical diving as there are products already out there.. If somethign like that came along I'd be interest for sure.

As an owner of two Apollo scooters, I can assure you that there is no way that this product will be able pull a scuba diver through the water at any decent speed for any reasonable time. Forget it!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom