What do you use to hold your octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can see that it would be hard for the octo to fall out but it seems like it would be hard to deploy in an OOA situation.

Thank you all for your advice

Interestingly enough, and despite that I am a fan of a bungied necklace, that design is a break-away. There is a velcro tab in the middle of the webbing link that allows for it to pull apart. Don't know effective it is, but appears better than some designs....

When I visit dive shops and see the range of octo-holders available for sale, it always reminds me of the old joke about 'space pens' (you know the one - normal pens don't work in space, so NASA spent $1m with a team of 80 to design an amazing pen the writes in -50degrees, zero gravity and works in a vacuum.... the Russians encountered the same problem - they gave their astronauts pencils).

A simple 50 cent snorkel holder works great. You can place it on any d-ring, it secures the AAS well and it deploys easily.

Bungeed necklace is equally simple and effective. It also keeps the AAS close to your own chin, which encourages immediate self-rescue if you have a problem with your primary. It can also be built DIY for a $1. However, I do think it works best if the diver actually has a strategy concerning the hose lengths they use. It's optimal for use with a short hose AAS (primary/long hose donation). With a 'regular' length longer AAS hose, it can be a bit awkward to stow.

Interestingly enough, and despite that I am a fan of a bungied necklace, that design is a break-away. There is a velcro tab in the middle of the webbing link that allows for it to pull apart. Don't know effective it is, but appears better than some designs....

I didn't notice the velcro at first, I guess it would not be to hard to deploy.

Agreed, these DR versions are awesome and the best design out there! The user can easily adjust how tightly they want their octo 'held'.

Considering you can make one DIY for a buck... and perfectly size it during that construction... I wouldn't agree that the DR design was the best. It's just approaching a simple concept with a 'space pen' attitude. Besides... that big loop on the back makes it very inadequate for any type of overhead environment (and risky for water entries from boats).

Personally, I think it's just a marketing effort to differentiate a product that is otherwise very simple, effective... already produced by numerous companies and can, ultimately, be self-manufactured by any diver who has the technical prowess to tie a fishing knot or tighten a zip-tie...

The ultimate self-truth of the scuba manufacturing industry "How do we sell this product, when it is essentially identical in function to every other product on the market? Add a pointless gadget! Competition manufacturers respond by adding more pointless gadgets than yours? Add even more yourself!"

I didn't notice the velcro at first, I guess it would not be to hard to deploy.

Velcro designs work ok at first.... but once the velcro starts to degenerate (as it obviously will) the AAS will start dropping out during dives. Again... an overly complicated approach to a relatively straight-forward concept.

Space Pen. Needs an 'online video' to promote sales and justify the cost.

1.jpg

Pencil. Does exactly the same job, to the same performance. Doesn't need a marketing budget to justify it's existence.

snorkel keeper.jpg

.... keeps crap out of the mouthpiece.

So does proper buoyancy control :wink:

Space Pen. Needs an 'online video' to promote sales and justify the cost.

1.jpg

Pencil. Does exactly the same job, to the same performance. Doesn't need a marketing budget to justify it's existence.

snorkel keeper.jpg

So does proper buoyancy control :wink:

How does buoyancy control keep the mouthpiece clean & clear in water that hasn't had the benefit of being run through a Britta filter? Some of my diving has been in water that contains a fair amount of floaty "stuff".

I don't wholely disagree with your basic premise, but this works (I found the video while looking for a pic, BTW). I paid < $10, so cost is not exactly an issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom