What does the R in DIR stand for?

What does the R in DIR stand for?

• Right

Votes: 34 45.3%
  • Righteous

Votes: 41 54.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
Doing it Right - is their claim.

There are many ways of doing something right.

The best - right way - varies dependent on the objective

The best - right way - varies dependent on the considerations, intent, and desires of the person taking the action.

I find many of the DIR precepts to be logical and useful. They have taken or adapted many of the proven diving techniques, gear, and safe habits, while expanding the frontiers of diving.
Along with developing new and improved gear and techniques.

However, they are not the only ones.

I find their thinking to be more flexible then one might believe from many posts here. But I do find a troubling pattern exhibited by most adherents I have come in contact with, either in person or on boards. I see a propensity to easily dismiss, not recognize or accept, safety issues and concerns that challenge their "right" way, while being quick to emphasize, recognize and accept the issues which present a weakness in others "right" way.

This intransigence is troubling because in order to find a "better right way" we must keep an open mind. We have to be able to see the benefits along with the shortcomings our right way contains, in order to compare it to, and learn from others. If we can't do this - we have found the "Righteous" way.

Once we our righteous, there is no need to search any more, for we have found "the true and only way". All that is left to do is enjoy, and wait for the next pronouncement from the high priests.

We all choose how to live our lives, but do we know what we have chosen.? Can we see what we have chosen? Much easier to see and know what the other has chosen, isn't it?

I have not seen anything that DIR proposes that I would remotely consider "unsafe".

Although you have a valid point or two amongst the philosophical ramblings, I sure don't agree with that one.

Phil

I would have to agree with MechDiver. The whole piont of DIR is to be safe. I dought they would purpose anything "unsafe."

Tekkie.

Do you honestly think that the equipment choices of DIR are pulled from thin air? That's your implication here. All of this stuff was developed thru the study of accidents and deaths while diving-mostly cave diving. When I hear of something that works better than DIR, I'll listen. I haven't heard anything of that nature yet.

And I only mention equipment because unless you've taken one of their classes, you can't speak to the philosophy.

The "best-right way" does NOT vary depending on the objective. That's one of the basic tenents of DIR. You dive the same way, with the same equipment every time so that when the s*it hits the fan, everyone's on the same page. You don't have one guy sucking on an AIR2 while another is trying to find his pocket on his HUB, while another's mouthpiece came off while trying to get to his "octopus"while it was freeflowing.

You take with you what you need, and leave that which you dont.

Does anyone notice that it's those that are intimidated by DIR are the ones that scream the loudest??

Examples of?

Please, not everything.

I never proposed that DIR proposes unsafe practices.

Some see things in black and white, others see shades of grey.

Philosophical ramblings - Yes.

Sounds like you have some specific issues in mind.

Instead of vague claims, air your specific grievances. We're dying to hear them.

just to add fuel to the fire

there are many things they do correct and well.

and the few things i don't agree with may not be unsafe but there are preffered and yes maybe safer ways to do them.

1-all tanks on one side -- unbalnced rig
2-single bladder -- lack of redundency or conveluted way of dealing with failure
3-overdependency on buddy -- lack of self suficiancy
4-no computers -- lack of advanced diving techniques
5-attitude -- closed minded to new ideas from outside the DIR organisation
6-speedos - just rude

I see a propensity to easily dismiss, not recognize or accept, safety issues and concerns that challenge their "right" way, while being quick to emphasize, recognize and accept the issues which present a weakness in others "right" way.
Just post some of the DIR tenets and then the "better" right way and we will be getting somewhere..

Back
Top Bottom