What does the R in DIR stand for?

What does the R in DIR stand for?

• Right

Votes: 34 45.3%
  • Righteous

Votes: 41 54.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I want a trimix computer.

You got your sights set on anything yet? I can't find a real trimix computer that works :(

Explorer doesn't do it, VR3 breaks and, now is grossly overpriced, Nitek He is vaporware until first of year and no idea what it will actually do vs what the website says.

Phil

detroit dver,

Do you honestly think that the equipment choices of DIR are pulled from thin air? That's your implication here

No sir, that is your mis-interpretation of what I said. Show my quote.

The "best-right way" does NOT vary depending on the objective. That's one of the basic tenents of DIR.

Objective: swim in silt bottom cave close to the ground.
Best right fin kick: cave diver modified frog kick, or whatever its called.

Objective: swim in open ocean agains a current.
Best right fin kick: straight leg flutter kick.

Please don't say now that I'm implying DIR doesn't recognize this.

The "best-right way" does NOT vary depending on the objective. That's one of the basic tenents of DIR. You dive the same way, with the same equipment every time so that when the s*it hits the fan, everyone's on the same page. You don't have one guy sucking on an AIR2 while another is trying to find his pocket on his HUB, while another's mouthpiece came off while trying to get to his "octopus"while it was freeflowing.

Leave out the first statement, which is false, leave the other example, which is dependent on specifics, and we can agree.

Does anyone notice that it's those that are intimidated by DIR are the ones that scream the loudest??

I assume you read all my post, but did you only see what you wanted to see?

AquaTec, Jeff G. and Mike Ferrara.

Good to see some people here can actually think rationaly for themselves, and I'm not saying this because we agree.

Has anyone noticed how we are not knocking DIR only pointing out other "RIGHT" ways - OHHHH .....RIGHTHEOUS ONESSSSS.

MechDiver once bubbled...
Ahh. So for that 40' reef dive you'll have a drysuit, double 104s, 2 stages and a canister light? I believe that's the "standard" for caving in Florida?
No - this point is always being brought up. You don't take anything on a dive that is not required - this is the minimalisation approach. You dive the same gear as your buddy though.

Why do you think Halcyon make 4 different single tank wings and 3 different double tank wings?

First edit - Damn, these threads are such trolls and I took the bait. Can't we discuss something else on this board? It's a bit repetitive seeing the same old subjects being wheeled out, "hey you DIR people, justify DIR to me even though I won't ever listen to what you say and I'll keep believing you're all a bunch of arrogant bastards because I didn't buy a backplate and wings and some dick with an attitude problem called me a stroke on a boat once".

Second edit - actually I do take my canister light with me on every dive. Can't imagine diving without it now. The new NiMH ones are so small that the canister is unnoticeable underwater, and HID light just rules.

Ahh. So for that 40' reef dive you'll have a drysuit, double 104s, 2 stages and a canister light? I believe that's the "standard" for caving in Florida?

I dive 40 foot dives all the time around here, and yes, I use double 104's, a drysuit and a cannister light. That's what my partners use also. I don't take stages because they're not needed, although we do train with them at this depth.

If I were diving with my partners in warm waters, we'd ALL use the same exposure protection, and if wetsuit, will dive AL80's instead of 104's.

The problem with those that bash DIR is that they don't understand the reasoning behind the decisions made. Everyone would use the same equipment in a cave. Everyone would use the same equipment on a reef. Everyone would use the same equipment on a wreck. The choices of what to take would vary depending on the environment-but they are ALL within the DIR guidelines because that's what works.

detroit diver once bubbled...

If I were diving with my partners in warm waters, we'd ALL use the same exposure protection, and if wetsuit, will dive AL80's instead of 104's.

The problem with those that bash DIR is that they don't understand the reasoning behind the decisions made. Everyone would use the same equipment in a cave. Everyone would use the same equipment on a reef. Everyone would use the same equipment on a wreck. The choices of what to take would vary depending on the environment-but they are ALL within the DIR guidelines because that's what works.

Well DD, I applaude your willingness to throw away all your equipment and buy new stuff to match mine. Good man! In your other post you said equipment "never" changes. I was meerly pointing out your statement.

I'm not bashing DIR, and most don't. What I am bashing is the hard headed secret handshake mentality of SOME of the people who use DIR. I'm sure none of those folks are on this board though.

Phil

If there was a piece of equipment or technique that could increase the odds of guys and gals going 19000 feet into a cave, don't you think that they'd be using it????

DD,

Yes I agree with you, but (in terms of this thread) what about possible future equipment? If someone is "Righteous" about a philosophy they probably would not adopt this new technology.

If the R stands for "Right" they would probably look/examine and make a decision wheither or not this new thing is DIR or not.

Jeff

Scuba once bubbled...
detroit dver,

No sir, that is your mis-interpretation of what I said. Show my quote.

Objective: swim in silt bottom cave close to the ground.
Best right fin kick: cave diver modified frog kick, or whatever its called.

Objective: swim in open ocean agains a current.
Best right fin kick: straight leg flutter kick.

Please don't say now that I'm implying DIR doesn't recognize this.

Leave out the first statement, which is false, leave the other example, which is dependent on specifics, and we can agree.

I assume you read all my post, but did you only see what you wanted to see?

AquaTec, Jeff G. and Mike Ferrara.

Good to see some people here can actually think rationaly for themselves, and I'm not saying this because we agree.

Has anyone noticed how we are not knocking DIR only pointing out other "RIGHT" ways - OHHHH .....RIGHTHEOUS ONESSSSS.

No quote to show. I said it was implied.

Fin kick-straight leg flutter? Are your kidding? Not in my book. Probably the most inefficient kick developed.

No, I read all of your post.

You got your sights set on anything yet? I can't find a real trimix computer that works :(

Explorer doesn't do it, VR3 breaks and, now is grossly overpriced, Nitek He is vaporware until first of year and no idea what it will actually do vs what the website says.

Phil

No, That's why I don't have one yet. I don't think it will be too long before someone comes out with a good one though. From the website I get the impression thet the NiTek is gonna have the same old deco model because they say it can be used in conjunction with the voyager software and I do like my deep stops.

O-ring once bubbled...

Just post some of the DIR tenets and then the "better" right way and we will be getting somewhere..

thought i did that.. ok here goes

as long as this touch issue stays all in good fun and doesn't get nasty i will partisipate.

I am not trying to convince anybody to do things my way...and you are welcome to do them yours...I am quite happy to agree to disagree..

I am just responding to the trolling question of what is not "right" about doing it right.

for those who complain about always having these threads i say BS, there are a lot of great threads here which have nothing to do with DIR, non DIR or one vs the other.

If you open the door to a bar and find a bar fight, you have a choice, exit or jump in. you may get beat up and there will never be a winner. you need to just love the brawl

detroit diver once bubbled...

If there was a piece of equipment or technique that could increase the odds of guys and gals going 19000 feet into a cave, don't you think that they'd be using it????

This is fun!
Can I pick the cave?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom