What does the R in DIR stand for?

What does the R in DIR stand for?

• Right

Votes: 34 45.3%
  • Righteous

Votes: 41 54.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This would be more fun in a bar. We could even shoot the piano player for affect.

AquaTec wrote...
6-speedos - just rude
Ah, common ground!

But that's really those WKPP pervs, not all DIR. Speedos just don't make the grade in 48F water. :)

I don't believe the intent of the poll/question is to point out that DIR is unsafe, but there could be "Safe" things that are not DIR.

And the second half of the "Philosophical ramblings" would be that once it becomes "Righteous" then the ability to embace new Techniques/technology would be hampered and DIR would not be able to evolve/adapt.

So I guessing the author (by means of putting himself in flames way) is trying to asertain wheither the DIR crowd are a group of righteous fantics or open minded safe divers.

But hey, I could also be totally wrong :wink:

Aw shucks.
I thought I'd finally found a board without this argument.
E. merra

AquaTec once bubbled...
6-speedos - just rude
Friends don't let friends wear speedos!! :D

I took Riteous to mean cocky, with is what I've found so far in person with these guys except for 2 people. Like the way they refer to my equipment as "stroke gear" because it doesn't say Halcyon on it.

JeffG once bubbled...
I don't believe the intent of the poll/question is to point out that DIR is unsafe, but there could be "Safe" things that are not DIR.

And the second half of the "Philosophical ramblings" would be that once it becomes "Righteous" then the ability to embace new Techniques/technology would be hampered and DIR would not be able to evolve/adapt.

So I guessing the author (by means of putting himself in flames way) is trying to asertain wheither the DIR crowd are a group of righteous fantics or open minded safe divers.

But hey, I could also be totally wrong :wink:

Jeff,

Therein lies the problem. Just because you wear your backup reg under your chin while diving solo does not make the dive safe. DIR is an all or nothing philosophy. Every part has been thoroughly thought out-how it effects other parts and how it effects other people. It's a system, and it doesn't work without ALL of the components.

If there was a piece of equipment or technique that could increase the odds of guys and gals going 19000 feet into a cave, don't you think that they'd be using it????

detroit diver once bubbled...
The "best-right way" does NOT vary depending on the objective. That's one of the basic tenents of DIR. You dive the same way, with the same equipment every

Ahh. So for that 40' reef dive you'll have a drysuit, double 104s, 2 stages and a canister light? I believe that's the "standard" for caving in Florida?

I'm taking my new sidemount rig for a spin in OW this weekend. A couple weeks ago I carried my doubles up and down some of those Kentucky mountains and crawled through some of those little sumps and have determined that DIR will not work in some Kentucky caves. We're planning for some of the Indiana caves also. Sidemount country

I want an Inspiration. Based on my limited rebreather knowlege I can't see using a SCR. I think CC is the way to go.

I want a trimix computer. Hard to cut tables for a cave if you have no idea what it looks like without padding the schedule. I have talked to some DIR trained divers about their "profiling" but as far as I can tell the math is not valid by any decompression model currently in use. I know that it's not an exact science but...Sure I would (and do) do a similar thing for not so long not so deep dives but the biger ones? No, being a little off could be a big problem. OW, fairly square profiles or a minimum number of levels ok, but some of these caves are real rollercoasters.

We could go over the profiles of some specific caves but the guys with the computers get out of the cave faster than me. They still have tables with them and they can still think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom