What does the R in DIR stand for?

What does the R in DIR stand for?

• Right

Votes: 34 45.3%
  • Righteous

Votes: 41 54.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

No, That's why I don't have one yet. I don't think it will be too long before someone comes out with a good one though. From the website I get the impression thet the NiTek is gonna have the same old deco model because they say it can be used in conjunction with the voyager software and I do like my deep stops.

I have not used Proplanner but that's a big 10-4 on the deep stops. Bummer, I had hopes for that Nitek...

Phil

johnnydan,

Sounds like you have some specific issues in mind.

Read the posts, they're not so hard to see. See what is before you not what you want to see. Hey, I'm stock in a philosophical rut today.

O-ring

I see a propensity to easily dismiss, not recognize or accept, safety issues and concerns that challenge their "right" way, while being quick to emphasize, recognize and accept the issues which present a weakness in others "right" way.

Just post some of the DIR tenets and then the "better" right way and we will be getting somewhere

See what is before you not what you want to see.

Epinephelus,

Welcome to the jungle. Seriously now, we only do this for fun once in a while.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

This is fun!
Can I pick the cave?

Sure, but don't look at me. I don't dive 'em. Not yet anyway.

Read the posts, they're not so hard to see. See what is before you not what you want to see. Hey, I'm stock in a philosophical rut today.
What I see is the same old crap that somebody dug back out and rehashed an old argument with. So, after reading these posts, I am getting the impression that the "better" answer being provided here is a non-speedo wearing, solo diving, trimix computer (that doesn't work) wearing, Inspiration diver that uses straight leg flutter kicks?

No thanks, I'll stick with DIR...but, you can have the speedos...the pink ones might match your gear..

What I am bashing is the hard headed secret handshake mentality of SOME of the people who use DIR

You mean you don't KNOW the secret handshake?!:confused:

Next you are going to tell me you don't have the decoder ring!

Ken

O-Ring
none of the ideas below are the only way, you can continue to do it your way, but i will respond to your request with some of my views.
[/B][/QUOTE]
Just post some of the DIR tenets and then the "better" right way and we will be getting somewhere..

[/B][/QUOTE]
aquatec..

1-all tanks on one side -- unbalnced rig
you have as much as 20 lbs of tanks on one side, and a 5 lbs light on the other, you compensate for this by using unbunggied wings to move the air over to the weighted side.
yes bungied wings will not work because they are ballanced, for a balanced rig, air will not move around.

2-single bladder -- lack of redundency or conveluted way of dealing with failure
in some situations, like a cave a single bladder is fine, in open ocean on walls it is not...with respect to the walls, when set up and used properly a double bladder will offer redundency, without having to rely on your drysuit or real with both have inherant problems. which i have gone ionto great detail with you in the past

3-overdependency on buddy -- lack of self suficiancy
Buddy diving is important, maybe even mandatory in some situations..but co-dependency and over dependence can be hazardess. you should be 100% self suficiant, so that you can solve problems at depth without envolving your buddy putting him also at risk, everything can be solved underwater by your self, well thats enough for now on this one

4-no computers -- lack of advanced diving techniques
just went through a whole thread on this one...the rot your brain thread.... dive flexability is the best advantage, moving forward with technology is another sub reason, better tracking of multiple dives, depths, and dive times, acurate cns tracking, using up to ten gasses for deco, and the ability to switch gasses around in an emergency....quick example your profile calls for two trimix gasses one nitrox and one 100%...you lose your nitrox deco gas, and need to switch back to trimix deco gas..extending your time at 20 feet now you are low on 100% so you switch back and forth between a deco gas and 100%....never needing your budies gas so he can do a proper deco not adding to his risk. your computers monitors all the switches and adjusts your deco profile on the fly..now your budy go to exit and he leaves you the remaining 100%. you switch your computer back to 100% and remain in the water decoing, not requiring your buddy to stay, adjusting your profile as required, and still doing minumum deco [with what ever safety margine you programend in]

5-attitude -- closed minded to new ideas from outside the DIR organisation
Most non DIR divers are open minded to advances in technoligy and techniques....DIR has stopped evolving, wonder were you will be in five years...i think you will be right here with the same gear, while the rest have moved on to better things, like rebreathers

6-speedos - just rude
not going to go there so as to keep it clean on this board

kwesler once bubbled...

You mean you don't KNOW the secret handshake?!:confused:

Next you are going to tell me you don't have the decoder ring!

Ken

Theres a Ring too?!!!!?:eek:

Well that explains alot

O-ring once bubbled...

What I see is the same old crap that somebody dug back out and rehashed an old argument with. So, after reading these posts, I am getting the impression that the "better" answer being provided here is a non-speedo wearing, solo diving, trimix computer (that doesn't work) wearing, Inspiration diver that uses straight leg flutter kicks?

No thanks, I'll stick with DIR...but, you can have the speedos...the pink ones might match your gear..

For opencircuit dives the hub could be used instead of the Inspiration.

But really there are hundreds of caves that require sidemount and even no-mount in order to explore them or even get to them for that matter.

detroit diver,

Fin kick-straight leg flutter? Are your kidding? Not in my book. Probably the most inefficient kick developed.

Maybe your right, maybe the one to use is a short scissors or frog kick. Are you proposing that the cave diving kick used in a silted cave while swimming just above the bottom is the "best right" kick in all conditions? This is exactly the near sightedness I see, to various degrees, up and down the DIR structure.

O-ring,

Ive'd seen a lot of your posts since I've been here. You're very funny sometimes, but have you ever considered taking a course in logic. Seriously.

Scuba troll,

What’s your point other than DIR bashing? I see a propensity to bash with innuendo and generalization. “Where’s the beef?” Give us a specific, factual example of how DIR dismisses safety issues.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom