What does the R in DIR stand for?

What does the R in DIR stand for?

• Right

Votes: 34 45.3%
  • Righteous

Votes: 41 54.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba
I need to agree with the others here

you started this thread trolling for action, and you got it..

now it is your turn to be specific about your acusations or implications.

come on its not that tuff

MikeS once bubbled...
Scuba troll,
“Where’s the beef?”

Scuba has not been making remarks on how unsafe DIR is, but talks about how some safe things are not DIR.

(This is my guess)
by putting out the question of "Right or Rightious" he is watching the message board and deciding if R stands for Right or Righteous by the responses he gets.

Then again, I could be wrong. ( Its not like thats ever happened :wink: )
Jeff

JeffG once bubbled...

Theres a Ring too?!!!!?:eek:

Well that explains alot

The ring contains a small pill that you take if you lose a piece of registered DIR dive gear. :boom:

MechDiver once bubbled...

The ring contains a small pill that you take if you lose a piece of registered DIR dive gear. :boom:

And here I was, just using beer instead;-0 :wink:

Scuba once bubbled...
detroit diver,

Maybe your right, maybe the one to use is a short scissors or frog kick. Are you proposing that the cave diving kick used in a silted cave while swimming just above the bottom is the "best right" kick in all conditions? This is exactly the near sightedness I see, to various degrees, up and down the DIR structure.

O-ring,

Ive'd seen a lot of your posts since I've been here. You're very funny sometimes, but have you ever considered taking a course in logic. Seriously.

I never said that the frog kick is the best in all conditions. Sometimes you need the modified frog. Sometimes the modified flutter. But the straight leg flutter is the most inefficient kick known and there is no use for it that I can see. The force of the kick is either up, or it's down. Very little of it is where you want it to go. So what's happening here? You're working too hard to get where you want to go.

Why the heck am I explaining this to a troll??? Take the darn class....

Scuba once bubbled...
detroit diver,

...... This is exactly the near sightedness I see, to various degrees, up and down the DIR structure.

Nah, you need glasses. That's the problem. You're an internet DIR thinks-he-knows-it-all. And you don't know squat about DIR.

detroit diver once bubbled...

Nah, you need glasses. That's the problem. You're an internet DIR thinks-he-knows-it-all. And you don't know squat about DIR.

And I think this is exact type of response Scuba was looking for.....

Mike S,

What’s your point other than DIR bashing? I see a propensity to bash with innuendo and generalization. “Where’s the beef?” Give us a specific, factual example of how DIR dismisses safety issues

Lets get the context right, I said.

I see a propensity to easily dismiss, not recognize or accept, safety issues and concerns that challenge their "right" way, while being quick to emphasize, recognize and accept the issues which present a weakness in others "right" way.

I will point you out to the recent thread of "why computers rot your brain" as an example. In this thread some DIR, and some not DIR proponents, were very quick to point out the problems and limitations encountered when using a computer, while refusing to acknowledge that many of these problems are the result of operator error and that such an operator can encounter the same problems when using tables. They also refuse to acknowledge some benefits computers offer over table planning while unable to refute with anything better than "We Know Better". Wheres the beef?

I have seen a discussion involving a DIR instructor, regarding the benefits and shortcomings of a particular piece of gear, where the instructor dismissed all the benefits of such gear by claiming that he could always take a different course of action when the situation presents itself, and "totally" denying that a certain postulated scenario could develop where this gear could be crucial, by simply saying in effect that he was too good for that to happen to him. "Just can't happen to me" While at the same time being more than eager to admit all the shortcomings of said gear.

I will not name names or comment further on this specific instance. Believe it or not. My intent with this thread, as other have commented, is to show that "RIGHT" is a subjective term - not objective. And if you can't keep this in context, then when you come across a better or more suitable piece of gear or technique, you are simply going to dismiss it and look for faults while not wanting to see how it can help you. Since you know you have the right way. Its no longer about what is right for the task at hand - but about you proving that you are right.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
No - this point is always being brought up. You don't take anything on a dive that is not required - this is the minimalisation approach. You dive the same gear as your buddy though.

"hey you DIR people, justify DIR to me even though I won't ever listen to what you say and I'll keep believing you're all a bunch of arrogant bastards because I didn't buy a backplate and wings and some dick with an attitude problem called me a stroke on a boat once".

Actually, he said gear never changes.

I have 2 backplates and think DIR is a fine example of safe and efficient diving.

I have not met Dick.

I don't think you're an arrogant bastard. Bit bullheaded sometimes, but definatly of superior lineage.

Phil

MechDiver once bubbled...

Actually, he said gear never changes.

I have 2 backplates and think DIR is a fine example of safe and efficient diving.

I have not met Dick.

I don't think you're an arrogant bastard. Bit bullheaded sometimes, but definatly of superior lineage.

Phil
I think we're in agreeance(sp?) - gear DOES change depending on the dive, and I'm bullheaded :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom