What got you into diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

got a thing about chicks with snot dripping out of their nose.....:rofl3:

Not to mention that women in diving suits, whether it be dry or wet-suits are incredible sexy.... even irresistible. (i'm acutally... in my little geeky way, not even joking).

What got me into diving was my uncle. He was a marine biologist and he worked at the university where I studied. I was in the computer science faculty (a bunch of flaming autistic geeks being trained to work 88 hours a week for Intel and Microsoft) and he saw that and said.... NOOOOOO.

I was in some kind of student body and he suggested (forced us) to consider diving lessons. We organized it and paid too much with a nice grant from the university, which resulted in one of the most comprehensive open water courses ever given in 1984.

After that I spend hours ... days... weeks ... hovering and counting fish.... watching star fish procreate and slowly coming to the realization that marine biology may be the pure-white-thought of science, but that marine biologists were worse nutzoid geeks than the computer people.

But MAN can I hover!

R..

living on the water,having a 1/2 hp compressor,and a clear plastic bathroom garbage can...
2 older brothers and concrete blocks and a willingness not to expire!
finding the crescent wrench my older sibling dropped of my dads????
priceless!

living on the water,having a 1/2 hp compressor,and a clear plastic bathroom garbage can...
2 older brothers and concrete blocks and a willingness not to expire!
finding the crescent wrench my older sibling dropped of my dads????
priceless!

Somehow I can picture all of that..... vividly.... that was just an awesome post!

---------- Post added May 15th, 2014 at 04:21 PM ----------

My wife found a rubber suit of mine in the garage and ever since then I've been a diver.

good thing she didn't find the pantyhose.....

I kept taking snorkeling trips, like maybe 5 dedicated vacations just for snorkeling. Initially, my Dad. I am kinda chicken and my Dad is a real wild man, unsafe kind of person, so I was worried it wouldn't be for me. Then others (divers) I met at different places sharing the boat encouraged me to get certified. I saw how thorough and cautious you could choose to be and how the DMs and instructors were wanting you to slow down and understand how to setup and dive properly.

Booked a snorkel trip to Bonaire and after more research was reading the shallow stuff got wiped out pretty bad a few years back but that the diving was still really good. Thought about it and then yes, a Groupon of all things at my LDS where I had been buying snorkel stuff, to do a Discover Scuba. As soon as I kneeled in the shallow end of the pool with the reg in my mouth, I was hooked, and hubs and my ears were fine with it, so after that there were really no reasons not to do it! Took me a few months to save up and spread out the Pool and open water dives, but.. totally worth it...

For all the snorkelers out there thinking about it, do a Discover Scuba, its like $25 to try it and you will know if you can handle it or not. Diving is way more expensive, time consuming, and just plain more physical, but its totally worth it.

My dad wanted the insecticide can back that I was using to breath from.

I just wanted to try it, get certified, and say I had done it. That was 30 years ago this July when I did my certification dives at Anacapa Island. Since then, I have made new friends, been all over the world, and seen some pretty amazing things trying to deal with this obsession that diving became.

Discover Dive in Mexico on vacation. I was hooked instantly. My wife (she regrets it now!) bought me lessons from our LDS for my birthday 2 years ago. Got certified with my then-14-year-old son (who is my best bud) and haven't looked back (except to see if a shark was trailing us! WE WISH!!!). So glad we did this... because I couldn't think of anything else to spend all my money on (x2)!!!!

Sea Hunt.

Then, as a surprise present from a favorite uncle, I was given a scuba course as a high school graduation present in 1976. I was hooked from the moment I took my first breath underwater.

And it still every bit as fun as the first time.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom