What high def video equipment would you buy with a +/- $10K budget?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In10se

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First off to anyone and everyone who posts their thoughts and experiences here from the depths of my heart AND my wallet I thank you!!

Finding the right HD video rig isn't easy. As I look around the net for what to buy the process of purchasing a great video system becomes more and more daunting of a task. The top end consumer gear vs. the prosumer gear seems to be very different in various important areas such as size, features, add low light recording quality. I'd rather not have a huge system to manage at depth so size does matter, but I want top image quality so I need some help.

If you could spend $8 to $12K on a camcorder, lights, and a housing what would be your choice?

You need to speak with Mike from H2O Photo Pros, he will chime in here shortyl, I am sure! Just call him up, and he will walk you right through it all. He was a big help for me.

But with that budget, your probably looking at something like a Sony FX-7 with a housing and lights will probably put you right around the top end of your budget. I just got done going through what your going through now, and it took 2 months to figure it all out. The final deciding factor was weight. I wanted something easy to travel with. So I went with the new Canon HF-S10 and now I am waiting for gates to make the housings. Which won't be till July. But if you go with consumer, take a look at the Sony XR520V. It has pretty dam good low light ability.

Good Luck!

Check Here

Also here is a sweet deal all you have to do is add a light package and your within your budget!

... I've been looking at the Sony HDR-XR520 series. The size of that unit is sooooo perfect for travel plus the low light imaging is supposed to be tremendous. I almost pulled the trigger on that one. The editing issues people seem to still have with the AVCHD format combined with the fact that the HDR-XR520 is so new the underwater housings haven't had time to catch up with it yet caused me some hesitation.
I still like the HDR-XR520 for dry filming during the extended surface intervals because it is so well designed for that purpose. IÃÎ not sure IÃÅ want to haul something the size of a PMWEX1 around a place like Ajanta caves in India so that 520 would be perfect if the editing issues can be overcame.
Is not that the trouble with selecting the right package though? Everything is great but then that one thing in that one important area stands out as a deal breaker. The endless research can be good start for a bad migraine.

Thanks for the links to H2O's site.

Thanks for kind words Ed. In10se, Ed is pretty much right on with what he said. There are two great cameras to look at, the Canon HF S10 (Gates housing expected July/August) or the Sony XR520, which is my personal fav. This camera also has a large selection of housings available and coming out. Currently for the 520, we have 4 different versions of Light & Motion housings, Seatool housings, and coming in July the Gates housing. Amphibico and Ikelite also have housings for this camera.

I just set up a customer with the exact package of the 520 with all the bells, whistles, camera, accessories, and all from L&M, and it was right around 10k...so depending on your wants and needs, you can actually cut that back quite a bit (this was FULLY loaded).

PM me your email and I can put together some options for you.

One last thing, I personally shoot and travel the world with the EX1. Its the best camera I would recommend, however if you are not doing a production, I certainly would not consider lugging it all around. It is large, but very much worth all the trouble for those looking for a production quality system. If its personal use...the XR 520 is more than adequate and you will be quite amazed!

H2O Photo Pros:
Thanks for kind words Ed. In10se, Ed is pretty much right on with what he said. There are two great cameras to look at, the Canon HF S10 (Gates housing expected July/August) or the Sony XR520, which is my personal fav. This camera also has a large selection of housings available and coming out. Currently for the 520, we have 4 different versions of Light & Motion housings, Seatool housings, and coming in July the Gates housing. Amphibico and Ikelite also have housings for this camera.

I just set up a customer with the exact package of the 520 with all the bells, whistles, camera, accessories, and all from L&M, and it was right around 10k...so depending on your wants and needs, you can actually cut that back quite a bit (this was FULLY loaded).

PM me your email and I can put together some options for you.
One last thing, I personally shoot and travel the world with the EX1. Its the best camera I would recommend, however if you are not doing a production, I certainly would not consider lugging it all around. It is large, but very much worth all the trouble for those looking for a production quality system. If its personal use...the XR 520 is more than adequate and you will be quite amazed!
Thanks for the posts!! I look forward to to sorting this all out.

Larry,

Here are a few housing packages I suggest for the XR 520 camera.

1. Light & Motion Bluefin, WP80 port, Sunray 1000 lights, and Ultralight Control Systems Arm upgrade (from the plastic Loc Line arms supplied with the lights). (available now)

2. Seatool XR 520 housing with monitor back, Wide Angle lens, left handle, Sunray 1000 light system and ULCS arms (available now)

3. Gates XR 520 Housing, WP 25 port, Sunray 1000 lights, ULCS arms. (housing available July/August)

The above three housings are all fantastic. The Gates is purely mechanical, where as the Seatool and L&M housings are electronic and mechanical. Seatool is definitely the most compact of all of the housings...however none of them are large (the Gates is supposed to be around the size of the current HC series housing).

These housings are hard to find on their respective manufacturers websites. Without a dealer's help the consumer is hosed when trying to sort all these issues out with a new model like the XR520. Mike you coming in here and offering up your insight is invaluable. I've read a few threads at wetpixel.com and wondered if there were any other forums where people are sharing their experiences with the XR520?

As far as lighting goes, I'm wondering about distance. With the strobe that came on my DC800 I get very little distance which limits me in very frustrating ways. Past say three meters everything lacks color. What are the effective distances for the Sunray 1000/2000 lighting systems, and are there other options that might work out better? I see you carry the Greenforce Squids. What would be your thoughts on Sunray 1000/2000 systems and the Green Force Squid 250 systems?

Being able to control the light heads from the housing via infrared is an interesting feature, but how prone to mischief will the gadget factor be? I get pi$$ed off enough when my strobe ceases to fire on my DC800 because the optic sensor gets misaligned and that's only a $700 investment. I'd need an emergency field lobotomy if I hoorked up $12K on a video system and the gadgets within became as mischievous as the DC800 strobe seems to be.

Hey Mike,

I also have a question about lighting. I see you recommend the Sunray 1000 LED light series. I know they make the 2000 series also which are twice the lumens on the high setting than the 1000's. I typically dive the caribbean waters like the Caymans, Roatan, Bonaire, etc. and that's pretty much all I'll be doing.

Would the power of the Sunray 1000's be as much as I'd ever need in these conditions or could you see the full power of the 2000's as being necessary at some point?

Thanks!

Ashley

General opinon on UW lighting for video is, filter no lights for wide angle daytime clear water shooting like the Caribbean. Closeup and macro, lights no filter.

Back
Top Bottom