What high def video equipment would you buy with a +/- $10K budget?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Ron!

What you said is why I'm thinking the Sunray 1000 series would be more than enough light for doing my type of diving. I think they would give off plenty of light for close-up and macro work. And of course they cost much less.

Ash

The more I dig around the more it seems the HF-S10 vs. the XR520 debate is not yet settled. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Gates FX7. It's such a good value for a still good performing camera. The newer smaller cameras still don't have the performance of a prosumer model like the FX7. Add a nice Fathoms port on it and enjoy.

The EX1 may be the king, but it's a budget buster even before you buy lights.

The Sunrays are awesome. Can't speak to the 1000's. Some folks don't think they are wide enough.

Remember to discharge and recharge the batteries every month or so when not in use.

The more I dig around the more it seems the HF-S10 vs. the XR520 debate is not yet settled. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Too new for the debate to be settled and another debate will start for UW use because of the housings and unique needs for UW shooting.

FX7 with Gates housing and Fathoms lens work fantastic, but the OP was asking for something compact.

One last thing, I personally shoot and travel the world with the EX1. Its the best camera I would recommend, however if you are not doing a production, I certainly would not consider lugging it all around. It is large, but very much worth all the trouble for those looking for a production quality system. If its personal use...the XR 520 is more than adequate and you will be quite amazed!

I would agree with this as the EX1 is a 3 sensor camera which should give better color. If I were looking into spending $10k, or more, on video gear, I wouldn't consider anything other than a 3 sensor system (except possibly a red one or video DSLR).

Ashley:

What camera are you using, I think that makes a big difference. I use the 2000s myself on my EX1. We also have a lot of customers using them on the smaller single chip cameras, but it depends on the camera (available controls to avoid overexposure) and also what your subjects are. If you are going to be doing a lot of big animal and using a wide angle port, then yeah the 2000s might be the way for you to go.

The EX1 is a fantastic camera...however with a budget of 10k, you certainly cannot get into that system. The biggest problem right now is the large gap in pricing between single chip and 3 chip camera systems. When you look at a complete system (camera, memory if necessary, housing, monitor, port and lights) there is a significant gap. If you go with a 3 chip camera like the FX7 or Ex1, or the like...then the superwide port is really a necessity for optimal image quality (after all that is why you are buying a 3 sensor camera for the $$$).

Rough numbers, you can get a FULLY loaded single chip camera with everything for 10k or less. An EX1 system fully loaded will easily put you into the mid $20s! big difference...in both cost and quality....and more importantly size and weight (Ive traveled extensively with my EX1, its worth it, but definitely can be a hassle)

I didn't realize they were quite that much. I think I'll start praying for a firmware upgrade that makes the HD video on the Canon 5DmkII usefull.

Ashley:

What camera are you using, I think that makes a big difference. I use the 2000s myself on my EX1. We also have a lot of customers using them on the smaller single chip cameras, but it depends on the camera (available controls to avoid overexposure) and also what your subjects are. If you are going to be doing a lot of big animal and using a wide angle port, then yeah the 2000s might be the way for you to go.

Right now I have a Top Dawg and a Sony HC42 in it and I have a pair of HID lights. It's a great little system that I got started on and I'll be doing my 3rd trip with it in three weeks. But after that trip I may look to upgrade into HD. I just wanted to be sure this was something I really enjoyed before I made a more serious plunge into HD video and the associated cost. So I would be looking at getting the Sunrays at that time when I upgrade. I guess you just have to decide is the extra bucks worth the extra lumens. Of course you can burn the 2000's a less power but you could always go to full power if you need it if you get the 2000's to start with. Just a lot to think about. Then there is the tape base vs the hard drive, etc. etc.

Skipped over the compact part. But you can stuff a lot of t-shirts and underwear in side the housing while packing.

The biggest problem right now is the large gap in pricing between single chip and 3 chip camera systems.

So true, but the performance gap is there, too. Has anyone tested low light performance of the XR520? The low light performance of the HC9 and it's ilk really isn't that good.

I guess the free FX7 deal is over. So my suggestion turns out to be $13,800 and bulky.

Not to digress or hijack the thread, but since I hadn't heard about the XR520 housing, is there any chance Gates is working on an FX1000 housing?

Back
Top Bottom