What high def video equipment would you buy with a +/- $10K budget?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not reading through this entire thread, but have to say that Mike's suggestion of the EX1 is one I fully agree with even if my budget can't afford it. I've dived with a videographer using one and the difference between my footage (with an HC-7) and his was like night and day. Absolutely awesome results from that system (which Mike put together for the diver). Of course as Mike mentioned international travel with that rig and housing is not easy.

I'm wondering about the HDR-XR500V. As far as I can tell, the only difference between it and the HDR-XR520V is the size of the hard drive (120 vs 240 GB?). Since I rarely burn a 60 minute tape (about 13 GB of video) on a day of diving, a 240 GB hard drive seems excessive unless you're doing an extended trip and don't edit on a regular basis.

I'm not reading through this entire thread, but have to say that Mike's suggestion of the EX1 is one I fully agree with even if my budget can't afford it. I've dived with a videographer using one and the difference between my footage (with an HC-7) and his was like night and day. Absolutely awesome results from that system (which Mike put together for the diver). Of course as Mike mentioned international travel with that rig and housing is not easy.

I'm wondering about the HDR-XR500V. As far as I can tell, the only difference between it and the HDR-XR520V is the size of the hard drive (120 vs 240 GB?). Since I rarely burn a 60 minute tape (about 13 GB of video) on a day of diving, a 240 GB hard drive seems excessive unless you're doing an extended trip and don't edit on a regular basis.

As far as I can tell you are right on with the difference between the XR500V vs the 520V. I have looked into this system as one option I am considering with Bluefin Pro Housing. The other system is the Bluefin with the Canon HF S10.

Worth looking into the differences between mfr.'s top camcorder and the next model down. Many times the difference has nothing to do with video quality and you can save several hundred dollars. Sony 520 vs. 500. Canon S10 vs. S100.

I can see the extra 120 GB hard drive space if one is traveling and plans to do a lot of dives away from home. However, I'm also leery of having all my footage from a trip on a single hard drive.

I'm thinking about an XR500/520 also now. My solution for the backup is a one of these:
Western Digital My Passport 250GB USB 2.0 Portable Drive. At $69 it's cheap insurance. I bring my laptop wherever I go so I'm not worried that they're only powered from the USB port. The reason I wouldn't back up to my laptop is it's only 80GB and pretty full.

Although even on a week long trip, I can't see shooting 29 hrs. of FH (highest quality) video. So I'd just like the drive for data security. I could maybe exceed 14.5 hrs. if using the XR500 as I sometimes just run the camera during an entire dive while filming nothing specific. I suppose shooting in HQ would be almost as good.

However, I'm also leery of having all my footage from a trip on a single hard drive.
I am too but tranferring all those tapes is a pita sometimes also.

Thanks Steve!

I'll keep that in mind if......no when.....I upgrade to HD. I can see the film based camcorders dying a slow death.

I have noticed the vignetting, and it's a problem with the "Active Image Stabilzer"-the sensor is "oversized" and this was not accounted for by L&M when testing the housing. I have both standard and fathom 90 lenses and it happens equally. Zooming in does not help..Fathom is working on modifying the lens (inside portion) to adjust the optics to accomodate the true sensor size..

I have a longer thread on Wetpixel on this..stay tuned..

wow what timing just sent him email last week , then came cross this thread , I really didn't want to spend that much but maybe be better to take plung right off bat. he suppose to putting few packages for me and said he work on this weekend , we let you all know.

I'm considering the MVD housing from Aditech (aditech-uw.com) for the XR520

Imo great value for money.

Anyone any experience? I'm especially concerned with the manual whitebalance

I'm considering the MVD housing from Aditech (aditech-uw.com) for the XR520

Imo great value for money.

Anyone any experience? I'm especially concerned with the manual whitebalance

Check on Wetpixel, a couple people that post there but not here shoot them. I believe Drew (one of the staff) reviewed one last year also. An easy way to find links is to google: aditech site:wetpixel.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom