What identifies someone as a "good" diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a difference between methodical attention to detail and someone who knows it takes a long time to gear up but waiting to the last second to begin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a bit of a pet peeve of mine. People that don't at least start to gear up at the 10 minute warning and the extreme case of the diver that doesn't have a single piece of gear on at splash time. I have been on the boat and had to step over a row of fins for other divers to get in the water while the captain is yelling "get off the boat!"

What? Where? The only harassing thing about it might be if your candidates were trained poorly to begin with. Or their buoyancy and trim suck. If the latter they shouldn't be in an instructor course to begin with. Or open water at all for that matter.

Jim,

I'm not exactly sure. I feel that someone would have to be pretty uptight to get worked up over a cartoon of an old man running naked, but nothing can be seen. I think it is "could anyone possibly get offended by this?" My answer to that question is an emphatic no. They'd have to be sooooo incredibly uptight. Personally, I think it is a great cartoon for teaching. I think I'll contact headquarters and go to the source.

I'm sure that there are as many ways to define those characteristics that make up a "good" diver as there are people that will answer the question.

Nah, it's as simple and straightforward as black and white: a good diver washes all pee out of their wetsuit before stepping over my kit.
(Or have we done this one already? -- I only skimmed over this thread & could've easily missed that.)

I think what kind of diver you are and where you dive have a lot to do when answering this.. To me a good diver can be thrown into mess and keep their cool.. Can tie knots in the dark.. Good awareness... Seeing things from outside the box.. Able to drink rum underwater without flooding the bottle with water...

Jim...

IMHO, good diver = someone we want to dive with = someone who contributes positive net balance to dive enjoyment = someone who contributes to solving problems vs. creating them, but maybe also someone who is flexible, accommodating, thoughtful, and pleasant to be around.

A good diver knows diving isn't a competition. They know their skill set and are comfortable saying no to dives/actions they are not comfortable with. They are thoughtful and considerate of the Marine environment and those around them.

How do you spot one "at a glance"? They will be quietly and efficiently organizing and setting up their gear. They will be listening and if necessary asking respectful questions about the dive plan.

In the water they will be efficient, have decent trim, Situational Awareness and buddy awareness. Confidence is good complacency is a killer. When it comes right down to it... I would rather dive with a newbie who is striving to perform the basics well and improve skills than a highly skilled but complacent diver who thinks the basics don't apply to them anymore.

They're better than me. They can teach me something. I want to emulate what they do. Other than that, I have no idea.

A quote I live my life by..
Every person is my superior in that I can learn from them.
Every diver can teach me something by what they do or fail to do. They may teach by positive or negative example and positive or negative consequences :doh: I wonder which way people learn from me :daydreaming: probably both :no:

When evaluating unknown divers for the first time, I keep the "good" or "not so good" diver categorization simple, tells me a lot about a diver's experience and attitude:

Good diver: aware of the necessity for and willing to do a pre-dive safety check with their buddy

Not so good diver: unaware of the necessity and/or unwilling to do the safety check

I see plenty of "experienced" divers treat pre-dive safety checks as "something for beginners". And I see plenty of new divers treat the safety check as "something we had to do in class because the instructor made us."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom