What is a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not the boat channel. The middle of the channel under the little bridge. Stay away from the boat channel. I have seen the police boats pull divers up by their flags if they are in the channel.

That makes more sense... and sounds a lot less dangerous....

So... they will pull you up by your flag, eh? I wonder who would win that tug-of-war? It would almost be worth losing a flag to see someone pulling on one tied off to the pylon.:evil:

Ken

That makes more sense... and sounds a lot less dangerous....

So... they will pull you up by your flag, eh? I wonder who would win that tug-of-war? It would almost be worth losing a flag to see someone pulling on one tied off to the pylon.:evil:

Ken

Too many people I know customize their flags for Identification. In this case I think it works against you.

My flag is as I bought it. I would have no prolem sacrificing it. I have others. :D

Too many people I know customize their flags for Identification. In this case I think it works against you.

My flag is as I bought it. I would have no prolem sacrificing it. I have others. :D

Same here... no identifiable marks whatsoever... got any spare rope?

Ken

I say log it all. In terms of depth and time and all that other stuff just log it too. If at some point in time you have to meet requirements for a DM in terms of depth and time you will have that logged.

OK, here's a related question. I went on two vacations before I was certified and did the DSD (Discover Scuba Diving) certification and then 3 open water dives each time. So, that's 6 open water dives. Do I add those to my log book, or do they not count because I was not yet fully certified?

Well, I know that for me, looking at all these other forum members with logged dives numbering in the thousands, it's very tempting to log ANYTHING that will help bump my dive total up from that bottom bracket of "0 - 24".

Unless I get a LOT of dives in next weekend at Himalaya Bay, though, I'm not going to bump into the next bracket for actual open water dives very soon. If things go well, we'll get a part day of diving on Friday, all day Saturday, and part day on Sunday before we have to head back.

As tempting as it is to add any pool dive into my "logged total", I'm more of a mind to only count the actual open water dives for that. I'm more interested in the fun to be had than in trying to impress anyone else with numbers (as if I thought most here would be impressed by "pool numbers" anyway).

Well, I know that for me, looking at all these other forum members with logged dives numbering in the thousands, it's very tempting to log ANYTHING that will help bump my dive total up from that bottom bracket of "0 - 24".

I'm not worried about trying to look cool on SB. I know I'm a noob and will be for a while. Just want to be accurate. Since I did 6 open water dives before I was certified, I'm just wondering if I should log them or not.

I'm not worried about trying to look cool on SB. I know I'm a noob and will be for a while. Just want to be accurate. Since I did 6 open water dives before I was certified, I'm just wondering if I should log them or not.

I would add them if they met my other criteria for a logged dive (>20mins) and in open water. My log book's main purpose is to record my memories of dives so I would want to remember DSD dives too :) They might not count towards dive totals for courses but your instructor can work out from your log which ones count and let you know. I don't worry about that part as I am unlikely to be struggling to meet a dive total for a course, given I like to do well over the minimum requirements before I start a course.

OK, here's a related question. I went on two vacations before I was certified and did the DSD (Discover Scuba Diving) certification and then 3 open water dives each time. So, that's 6 open water dives. Do I add those to my log book, or do they not count because I was not yet fully certified?

Why not? You were diving weren't you?

Logbooks have two purposes. One is to record your diving experience. The other is to provide evidence of dive experience to a training agency.

It is your book, log what you like.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom