What is a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My daughter was certified earlier this year through SSI and the rule (aside from pool sessions) was 15 ft for 15 minutes. That being said, I agree with the "did you do something" rule... if I didn't follow that rule, most of my BHB dives would be a wash since they were under 15 ft.

Ken

That's why you should always hit the middle of the channel at least once during the dive to hit 21'. :D

Splash-X:
The huge aquarium in Georgia (Atlanta) as well as The Living Seas at Disney World are "confined" by definition but count as dives.

Depends on what you want to count them towards.

I log everything that's open water. But I keep track of my total dives that are both deeper than 20 feet, longer than 20 mins. and are signed by a buddy. So I am sure for example that I have over 60 of these types to sign up for DM course just in case my book is checked.

Interesting comments here.
I'm one of those divers that dive very seldom during the year.
I only do "open water dives" 3 times during the year, but I regularly go to a practice pool and I use scuba gear once a month.
IŽ´m not logging those dives in the pool, but I would if those avoid me to do an scuba update if I have not dived in the last six months.
Besides I was invited several times to dive with sharks in an aquarium. The pool is huge and depth is in the range of 6 mts. Those are photo dives and the shark is the Hollywood start. Should I consider those OW dives ?

Log whatever you like, it is your log book. Bare in mind that for some courses they have their own definition of what constitutes a loggable dive but you can cross that bridge when it comes up and just remove the dives that don't count from your total.

I personally will log any dive longer than 20min (not that I've ever done one shorter than that, but if I did I would not record it as part of my total) that is in the open water. Also if I have surfaced for a bit (less than 20mins) I will count both dives as one if my computer resets. I might record information about a pool dive but would never add that to my dive log total. I have one aquarium dive in my log book though but if I did aquarium dives often I would not include them in my dive total.

Funny that this is being brought up. I will be working with a graduate student this summer. We will be diving in a local river with a max depth somewhere between 12-15ft. We will be down until our 80cf tank runs dry, so the bottom time should be somewhere around 2 1/2 hours. I will be logging these as dives. Would you do you the same?

I am also an Aquarium Diver. We have 3 tanks that we dive in. The depths vary from 17ft to 35ft and bottom times average around an hour. I log all of these as well. To me they are more than just swimming in a pool.

Funny that this is being brought up. I will be working with a graduate student this summer. We will be diving in a local river with a max depth somewhere between 12-15ft. We will be down until our 80cf tank runs dry, so the bottom time should be somewhere around 2 1/2 hours. I will be logging these as dives. Would you do you the same?

I would. I do lots of shallow pier diving (great for photos) :) And I log those dives. Depth can be less than 20ft often.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom