What is an "advanced" diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I learned about the history of advanced diving courses recently.

The idea of an advanced certification was started by Los Angeles County. This was nearly 50 years ago. They were concerned that too many divers were getting certified and then quitting the sport altogether. NAUI then created its own advanced diver program shortly after that, for exactly the same reason. They saw that too many of the divers they certified were dropping out, and they wanted to encourage divers to keep active. PADI added their program after that.

That was all very different from what I had always believed, so I was surprised to read it. (I read it in a history of NAUI that was written by one of its founding members, Al Tillman, NAUI instructor #1.)

I would consider the definition of advanced diver to contain elements of training and experience. For training (and I only have experience with PADI) I would suggest that an advanced diver would be at a minimum a Rescue diver and have a number of specialties completed (navigation, nitrox, O2 provider, equipment, deep). Experience would contain both a number of dives completed element and dives in various environments (for example night, various depth, varying visibility, currents and depths).

The idea of an advanced certification was started by Los Angeles County. This was nearly 50 years ago. They were concerned that too many divers were getting certified and then quitting the sport altogether. NAUI then created its own advanced diver program shortly after that, for exactly the same reason. They saw that too many of the divers they certified were dropping out, and they wanted to encourage divers to keep active. PADI added their program after that.

That was all very different from what I had always believed, so I was surprised to read it. (I read it in a history of NAUI that was written by one of its founding members, Al Tillman, NAUI instructor #1.)

A NAUI Advanced class in the 70s/80s covered much of the same material as the Master Scuba Diver program now covers. In 1995/1996 NAUI renamed their Openwater 2 class to Advanced, and renamed their old Advanced to Master Scuba Diver. The materials were updated and a few requirements were added to the "new" Advanced program at the time, but it was a far cry from the old advanced program.

The change was made due to market pressures. The old NAUI Advanced was a very rigorous course that covered instructor level academic knowledge and nearly a dozen dives in a variety of environments.

I would label an advanced diver as one that engages in diving that is beyond the normal ow limitations. This would be dives that include:

overheads (soft/hard)
dives that exceed NDL
dives that exceed the 130 depth zone.
dives that use mix gasses other than nitrox
dives that use sofisticated equipment such as Rereathers or hard hat
dives that are done for the purpose other than recreation such as salvage, rescue demolition ect.

I would label an advanced diver as one that engages in diving that is beyond the normal ow limitations. This would be dives that include:

overheads (soft/hard)
dives that exceed NDL
dives that exceed the 130 depth zone.
dives that use mix gasses other than nitrox
dives that use sofisticated equipment such as Rereathers or hard hat
dives that are done for the purpose other than recreation such as salvage, rescue demolition ect.

For most of the above, I would describe that as a technical rather than advanced diver.

How I see it, in 10 points:

1. Training level should match experience; appropriate level of confidence in their diving competencies and capabilities. Plans and conducts their diving appropriate to that confidence. Accurately appraises their capabilities without over-/under-estimation and can predict how those capabilities measure against novel diving challenges.

2. Profoundly understands their own strengths and weaknesses; is able to determine their own parameters for safe diving and does not let task-loading deteriorate dive safety or their performance of fundamental skills, able to distinguish and remedy short-falls in competency and resolve them to achieve a desired outcome or mission.

4. Core skills of sufficiently high level to enable swift adaptation to new environments, equipment and tasks. Foundational scuba skills ingrained at an unconscious level, performed automatically and appropriately.

5. Able to competently lead dives in planning and conduct, mentor other divers, add value for others and preserve safety. Sufficient experience and knowledge to accurately assess the capability of other divers in relation to the diving undertaken.

6. Breadth of knowledge, training and experience to permit an expanded 'tool set' of technique and equipment to safely and appropriately accomplish specific tasks and missions underwater. Able to select and utilize appropriate techniques and equipment to achieve complex goals.

7. Highly developed stress management and problem solving capabilities, well beyond taught protocols and rehearsed scenarios. Significant experience of, and exposure to, dealing with real-life diving problems and incidents. Knows, rather than estimates, their performance under pressure.

8. Knowledge and experience to contribute significantly to wider diving logistics and operations. Able to support or direct diving activities through transportation, preparation, maintenance, communication, logistical and contingency planning.

9. Breadth of diving knowledge well beyond taught syllabus of training; encompassing wider community/industry developments, equipment innovations, evolving protocols and skills... as well as diverse supplementary knowledge in subjects like diving medicine, marine ecology and decompression theory. Accurate understanding of diving disciplines beyond one's own training level (understanding what's ahead and what others do).

10. Respected in their diving peer group.

Should the word advanced be used at all? We've read an assortment of views.
1. Best trumpet player in elementary school band
2. Lead Trumpet All City High School Band
3. Principal Trumpet Detroit Symphony

Who's "advanced"?

I consider myself and advanced diver compared to many divers I've run into. I also consider myself a complete Noob compared to many I've run into.

I don't think I've ever used the phrase "advanced diver" with respect to myself or others (except regarding certification level). Experienced diver (after 52 years and thousands of dives I'd hope I've learned something), yes.

---------- Post added May 26th, 2014 at 10:00 AM ----------

I certified OW with Los Angeles County (LAC) back in the 60s (when I learned one had to be certified to get tank fills when I was moving to California). Their OW course was pretty advanced, covering many of the things currently in the OW-AOW-Rescue sequence. LAC's Advanced Diver Program (ADP), which is a step above their old OW course, will certainly create divers with far better knowledge and skills than a standard AOW course by most other agencies.

The idea of an advanced certification was started by Los Angeles County. This was nearly 50 years ago. They were concerned that too many divers were getting certified and then quitting the sport altogether. NAUI then created its own advanced diver program shortly after that, for exactly the same reason. They saw that too many of the divers they certified were dropping out, and they wanted to encourage divers to keep active.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom