What is best for a 5-6 foot entry from a pier? Giant stride?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have done giant stride of 6+ feet in doubles with no problem and in singles from 8-10ft with no problem. You don't go under more than about 6 inches if you know what your doing. Usually on the longer drops I have done, we do them as a negative entry due to conditions. I have done some 6-7 foot range though as positive entrys as well and no problems there.

Just make sure you secure all and hold your mask and regulator and know what is under you when you go. BP/W helps a lot where everything is secured and you have a crotch strap.

Good thread.
There are many different types of deep water entry, giant stride, back roll, forward roll etc etc etc. These are all ok of the person has been taught how to do them. When I teach open water, I teach a range of water entrys, so that if the student will go and dive off a rib, they will know how to do a back roll.

From the height that has been mentioned i would do a forward roll. Make sure you land on your tank, tuck your chin into your chest, and hold on!

You don't go under more than about 6 inches if you know what your doing.

I have to say I sure do not know what I am doing because I have every time, 100%, broken more than 6" when I have splashed in, even back rolling. I cannot even figure out how I would master a technique like that from 5ft or more, feet first. This is not even sarcastic because I am not good with heights and hops, and readily admit I am tentative about entries... but I have to wonder about half a foot...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom