What is DIR Misinformation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trace Malinowski

Training Agency President
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
In reading posts in this forum, it seems that DIR divers, especially newer divers in general seem to be worried about learning DIR "misinformation." George Irvine remarked that the biggest problem in diving today is misinformation.

I believe that misinformation is dangerous on two levels. The first, and I believe the intended version of "misinformation" as put forth by George Irvine, had to do with the basic tenets of DIR. These were standardized equipment configurations, correct gas mixtures for the planned dives, and standardized team procedures and protocols. At the time, the misinformation was that helium diving was dangerous and there were all kinds crazy configurations that were complicated, unbalanced, poorly thought out and no two rigs alike in a dive team. There was a lot of poorly thought out procedures as well and poorly planned and executed dives. The divers that were doing these dives were usually not the unskilled nor the untalented, quite the contrary, they were the divers who were cutting-edge. But, due to deep air diving, extreme solo diving, and inferior technologies diving was taking the lives of those who otherwise could never be killed within the parameters of the standard envelope of recreational diving which, when I started, was as deep as 190 feet. Beyond this all bets were off. Had DIR existed early on for the stalwart explorer many legends and pioneers of diving would be alive today. It was out of the accidents and through analysis of accidents that DIR started to grow and then took hold during the WKPP expeditions when George Irvine took over as project director. The deeper you dive and the further inside a cave you go, the more the ethos of DIR becomes clear. However, those lessons can filter all the way back to the recreational diver at both the technical and purely leisurely levels. This is "Big Picture DIR" and misinformation at this level will definitely redefine the simplistic foundation and safety of DIR diving.

GUE was once the only game in town for DIR training. But, due to politics, egos, economics and legalities, GUE lost primary players and dive leaders to agencies like NAUI and PDIC. While PDIC DIR had taken over Brasil and other S.A. areas thanks to the efforts of former GUE instructor trainer, Marcus Werneck, others like former GUE training director, Andrew Georgitsis, who developed the very training programs that taught many of us DIR diving and who has moved to NAUI have had greater influence upon DIR alternative training in the United States. George Irvine, who was the WKPP director and maybe even more recognized as the voice and face of DIR, has returned to other personal and business endeavors and is no longer an active sage of advice. Despite George's prominence as the WKPP director and the work that must have gone into that, George was always willing to educate freely on the internet, on the phone or in email. I had several questions answered by George, nothing was too dumb, to not warrant a reply, and believe me you got a reply, and not some political cop out or vague reply either. He even took the time to visit my boss in NYC. The roster of instructors is far different than it was years ago and several of these were just students at the same time that I was. That's not to say they aren't capable. They may even be more skilled and capable than the original instructor ranks. But, to me, something seems different... maybe its just my own sense of loss and disconnect from my original leaders... or is something else going on? I don't know. It could be that I have my own personal biasis against the current training regimen, or, maybe I just became way too sick and tired of hearing attitude and disrespect from yet another DIR-F student aimed at some pretty great non-DIR divers? I don't know.

The second concern about DIR misinformation could be that GUE wants to keep its hold on DIR. Much the same way as PADI warns divers that other C-cards aren't as recognized (maybe not as recognizable but just as accepted), GUE can warn new divers about misinformation to protect its financial and personal interests. If warnings about misinformation are still being given, I would believe that this is market driven. Some statements in the past were politically blatant attacks against instructors like Andrew, who retaliated in kind, while others were directed, rightfully so, at "the usual suspects". But, big picture DIR information floods the internet. Gear, gases, teamwork, decompression strategies, and media all exist to lock in the basic "big picture" of DIR. We live in an age of information and the very founders of DIR accomplished what they did due to information exchange. If we don't exchange information as DIR divers, do we not lose an important tool to improve diving?

I personally love what's happened to the safety of diving thanks to DIR, but I hate what has happened to the fun of diving due to DIR. I'm not talking about the training, the practice, the discipline and procedures. Learning these things has been part of the fun for me. What I'm talking about is the arrogance and the attitude that seems to have sprung up in the diving community. The community has alrerady been divided by recreational vs. technical and both these communities are being impacted by the "Mean Girls" (the film) atmosphere that seems to be stinking up the neighborhood from DIR. This was something we had been addressing before Scubaboard.com crashed and most of us agreed there was an attitude. Some thought the attitude was more of a relic of the Irvine days, while others felt it still showed its presence. But, we did agree that an attitude did or does exist. Where did it come from? That's rhetorical. But, what we can do is to take proactive steps to bring DIR out from under the cloud of this history. We need to first lighten up with each other and other divers. Place nice and share the sandbox. We need to stop arriving at dive sites with the aura of the Nazi SS. Not only should we be good in the water by demostrating great teamwork and skills, we should be the best and most positive public relations machine for safer diving.

Jarrod Jablonski himself said, "DIR is bigger than GUE and GUE is bigger than DIR depending upon how one looks at it, but DIR is bigger than all of us because it speaks to a world of divers."

He also remarked that a diver "Who is 300 to 500 to 1000 dives into the system and who wants to change a D-ring a quater of an inch, if he thinks that will benefit his diving can then do so, because he is qualified to make that decision since he has some experience."

I think the future of DIR isn't going to be from the top down, but a lateral movement of information among divers and agencies that may climb back up to the top as that world of divers gets to speak from experience.

One of the best thought out pieces on DIR, etc., that I’ve had the pleasure to read. A few comments if I might:

TraceMalin:
… It was out of the accidents and through analysis of accidents that DIR started to grow and then took hold during the WKPP expeditions when George Irvine took over as project director. The deeper you dive and the further inside a cave you go, the more the ethos of DIR becomes clear. However, those lessons can filter all the way back to the recreational diver at both the technical and purely leisurely levels. This is "Big Picture DIR" and misinformation at this level will definitely redefine the simplistic foundation and safety of DIR diving.
When you dive as a team in an environment that demands teamwork for survival, standardization is critical. So critical that propose the [SIZE=-1]heresy [/SIZE]that standardization is more important, and more critical, that is getting it exactly "Right." There are many ways to skin a cat, some will work equally well, some are marginally better than others and stone-stupid ways will be easily rejected by almost all thinking divers. Settling on one that is good or marginally inferior is more important than an absolute "Do It Right." The problem has been the pretense (and time and energy spent arguing) that the minutia of the choice (be it that of the WKPP, GUE, NAUI Tech, etc.) is the most critical item. That, to me, is the primary “misinformation.” Dive with your team, dive as your team dives, if you change teams ... well then, "when in Rome, dive like a Roman."

TraceMalin:
The second concern about DIR misinformation could be that GUE wants to keep its hold on DIR. Much the same way as PADI warns divers that other C-cards aren't as recognized (maybe not as recognizable but just as accepted), GUE can warn new divers about misinformation to protect its financial and personal interests. … If we don't exchange information as DIR divers, do we not lose an important tool to improve diving?
Yes!

TraceMalin:
I personally love what's happened to the safety of diving thanks to DIR, but I hate what has happened to the fun of diving due to DIR. I'm not talking about the training, the practice, the discipline and procedures. Learning these things has been part of the fun for me. What I'm talking about is the arrogance and the attitude that seems to have sprung up in the diving community. The community has already been divided by recreational vs. technical and both these communities are being impacted by the "Mean Girls" (the film) atmosphere that seems to be stinking up the neighborhood from DIR.
In the science community we have practiced our forms of “Unified Team Diving” since the very beginning. But that has not eliminated diversity between institutions. You’ll find a reasonable amount of variation between institutions, especially when they’re in very different environments, but friendly relations and a collegial approach has always been the norm. What’s the difference? I’m not sure, perhaps it is ego, perhaps it is profit motive.

TraceMalin:
I think the future of DIR isn't going to be from the top down, but a lateral movement of information among divers and agencies that may climb back up to the top as that world of divers gets to speak from experience.
Excellent … thanks.

I couldn't agree more. I just finished Andrew's Tech 1 program and, although I learned lots about skills, and deco, and gasses, and all that, what I really learned was how to think while underwater. If the DIR protocol is to become more widely used and accepted, the skills and equipment have to be second nature to a thought process of sorting out problems and adjusting plans on the fly. The more I train, the more I dive, the less I care about what stuff is clipped off in somebody's left pocket...I just want to know that I am (and my buddy is) able to think through any situation we might find ourselves in.

We're so wrapped up in (and proud of) being able to buddy breathe a maskless ascent while timing deco and fending off sharks that we're forgetting why we're learning those skills in the first place.

Maybe we should start calling it 'TIR,' for 'Thinking it Right.'

Jeff

I've said this before and got hammered by some guys here....but the only problem with DIR has been presentation. They say they only want "a few good men" and don't want the masses but it's a business, as the departure of some key players has indicated....kind of like the NFL or any other person hoping for a richer financial future.
If they had one fourth of PADI's marketing skills and focus, they'd take a big market share of dive instuction.

I do not have an extensive diving history and so I don't know all the intricacies of how DIR evolved. But when I started diving which wasn't long ago, it seemed
pretty clear what DIR was - it was the diving style/philosophy practiced by the divers in the WKPP and taught by GUE. I remember reading an essay written by David
Rhea wherein he says pretty much the same thing. To paraphrase, "The only way to learn DIR is to dive with the WKPP or to take instruction from GUE."

GUE was once the only game in town for DIR training.

As was pointed out, GUE doesn't have exclusive control over DIR. Those familar with NAUI Tech and the NTEC will see that they have adapted the slogan,
"Just do it right!" as is found in the NAUI Tech instructor manual.

As a person who has taken quite a few classes from Joe T, Delia and indrectly from Andrew, I would be first to admit that there are quite a few people who are quite capable of teaching (and are arguably "authorities" on the subject) the diving style and philosophy of the WKPP and GUE. But to me, that is a different statement than saying that Naui Tec is now a source of DIR learning. And for the first time, I am now hearing this PDIC DIR thing. A while ago, I tripped over a website called DIRRebreather.com. I don't know who is behind that organization - maybe they have a solid foundation on DIR and then maybe again..

In the two GUE classes I have taken (post AG), I cannot remember either instructor using the term DIR. I suspect GUE folks had pretty much figured out that when they could not patent (or trademark) the term DIR, they realized that every Tom, Dick and Harry will be able to use the term to capitalize on it's "popularity". And it seems that we have gone from, "Well AG and other folks are DIR" to "NAUI tec and PDIC" are DIR. Some even seem like they are making the argument that you could cheat on your wife on Tue and Thurs but if you are faithful on Mon, Wed and Friday, you can still consider yourself a good Catholic.

If we are not going to be very specific about who in NAUI tech and PDIC are qualified to teach DIR and if we are not going to insist that we are told when content being covered is a deviation from the tenets of DIR (diving solo by choice rather than by necessity), then I suspect we have lost the connection to "DIR" as I understood it when it was first described to me.

So let me go ahead and agree with you that DIR is bigger than GUE and WKPP. Speaking from a legal perspective, you could not be more correct.

And I look forward to the day when we have DIRdeepair.com and DIRsolodiving.com.

Adobo:
A while ago, I tripped over a website called DIRRebreather.com. I don't know who is behind that organization...

Cedric Verdier.

http://www.cedricverdier.com/

I don't think you understand the solo diving vs. DIR connection. Solo diving IS NOT DIR. The argument is how far can an agency or its philosophy control your life? To get into GUE classes, you can't be a smoker. That's fine. It's their right. Smoking affects you on every dive including team dives. But, there was a time and it's probably still in effect, that you couldn't retain membership status if you did things like dive air or dive solo. Now, I could understand that maybe they don't want you to get a gas fill with a GUE card and go diving solo on trimix at 230 feet and get killed. That's also their right. But, if you go diving solo on air (which you can get with your open water card) what's the problem? Control? "We don't want our reputation ruined or any bad publicity if one of you 'marines' goes out and gets killed diving by himself! That's all we need is a GUE card in the wallet of a corpse being pulled out of Eagle's Nest. And, don't even think about doing it here in Wakulla or they'll shut this project down! We don't care if you fly airplanes, ride your motorcycle or eat French Fries at Floyd's by yourself! You go get yourself killed on your own time... Oh, wait! We don't want any cardiac events on any dives either! Who put the straw in straw-berry? (I dunno) Who put the orange in orange-juice? (I dunno) Who put the ***** in fries? (There ain't no *****-in fries) Right! You'll watch what you eat and run 5 miles a day! This project isn't getting shut down!"

But, that's all big picture stuff. I only disagree that you should be allowed to solo dive on your own time if it doesn't affect your ability to be a great teammate during team dives. But, that's a political matter and not a team safety matter. And as JeffG points out, "Yes, Jeff, there are no DIR divers just DIR dives!" Happy?

Believe everything you read, huh? You must still be young and idealistic. Sigh! Youth!

David is right about big picture DIR stuff. All GUE instructors and former GUE instructors teach that big picture DIR the same way. It's when the small picture stuff becomes dictated and when you want it changed you're told, "No", then they change it later such as the size of lockdown screws on Pathfinder reels, or then telling you it's okay to use bigger clips when wearing thick gloves when you knewthat and were violating DIR to dive safer. Or, you're told that pre-rigged liftbags aren't DIR, then they send out a memo, when it's obvious that pre-rigging a spool to a bag is more efficient, ergo safer. Huge discovery! They now say it is! Guess what folks, new valve drill? Okay, one part looks a little safer... um... why all that attention signaling? I'm thinking that if I can see my buddy is watching me do the valve drill, I have his attention?

I mean these procedural changes are mostly class issues and not battlefield. And, if you've done 2,934 old valve drills, after reading the updates you'll probably keep doing them the way you were taught (the "right" way -- thanks to the Principle of Primacy located in your DIR-F Workbook) unless the team decides to change to the new drill.

Adobo:
I do not have an extensive diving history and so I don't know all the intricacies of how DIR evolved. But when I started diving which wasn't long ago, it seemed
pretty clear what DIR was - it was the diving style/philosophy practiced by the divers in the WKPP and taught by GUE. I remember reading an essay written by David
Rhea wherein he says pretty much the same thing. To paraphrase, "The only way to learn DIR is to dive with the WKPP or to take instruction from GUE."

So let me go ahead and agree with you that DIR is bigger than GUE and WKPP. Speaking from a legal perspective, you could not be more correct.

And I look forward to the day when we have DIRdeepair.com and DIRsolodiving.com.

TraceMalin:
In reading posts in this forum, it seems that DIR divers, especially newer divers in general seem to be worried about learning DIR "misinformation." ...

It is so refreshing to read a cogent, well written, and very informative post about SCUBA diving.

Thank you!

:coffee:

Hey! Marines are trained to go out and DIE!

If you don't want corpses occationally associated with your "club" then don't promote instruction by your organization.

Not only should we be good in the water by demostrating great teamwork and skills, we should be the best and most positive public relations machine for safer diving.

The take home message. This is what I've been trying to do, on the internet and at home in the water, since I started this kind of diving and training. Passing on "big picture" DIR ideas.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom