What is DIR Misinformation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TraceMalin:
I don't think you understand the solo diving vs. DIR connection. Solo diving IS NOT DIR.

So let me repeat so that I am clear. Solo diving is not DIR but just because you dive solo on Tuesday and Wednesday, for as long as you dive DIR protocols on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, you are not necessarily "Un-DIR"? Is that correct? So solo diving is okay. Is deep air on Tuesdays and Thursdays okay?

At what point does our attitude towards (and disagreement with) the primary tenets of DIR really say that we no longer really believe in DIR?

Believe everything you read, huh? You must still be young and idealistic. Sigh! Youth!

Oh come on. If you are going to take shots at me then "Do It Right". Honestly, that is a little disappointing coming from someone who writes as well as you do.

It's when the small picture stuff becomes dictated and when you want it changed you're told, "No", then they change it later such as the size of lockdown screws on Pathfinder reels, or then telling you it's okay to use bigger clips when wearing thick gloves when you knewthat and were violating DIR to dive safer. Or, you're told that pre-rigged liftbags aren't DIR, then they send out a memo, when it's obvious that pre-rigging a spool to a bag is more efficient, ergo safer. Huge discovery! They now say it is! Guess what folks, new valve drill? Okay, one part looks a little safer... um... why all that attention signaling? I'm thinking that if I can see my buddy is watching me do the valve drill, I have his attention?

Could we at least agree that solo diving and deep air are a little bit different than bolt snaps and valve drills?

Vie:

I am not sure I understand. Is the content in DIRRebreather considered DIR information or is it considered mis-information? Or maybe I shouldn't really worry about it?

Adobo:
I am not sure I understand. Is the content in DIRRebreather considered DIR information or is it considered mis-information? Or maybe I shouldn't really worry about it?
DIR Rebreather isn't even remotely DIR. It is a lame excuse in which to work the term DIR and rebreather into the same sentence.

I was joking good-naturedly about you age.

No, man, you're right the whole DIR world would slip into total chaos if we allowed solo and deep air diving. I take back support of solo diving and all non-DIR practices.

Adobo:
So let me repeat so that I am clear. Solo diving is not DIR but just because you dive solo on Tuesday and Wednesday, for as long as you dive DIR protocols on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, you are not necessarily "Un-DIR"? Is that correct? So solo diving is okay. Is deep air on Tuesdays and Thursdays okay?

At what point does our attitude towards (and disagreement with) the primary tenets of DIR really say that we no longer really believe in DIR?

Oh come on. If you are going to take shots at me then "Do It Right". Honestly, that is a little disappointing coming from someone who writes as well as you do.

Could we at least agree that solo diving and deep air are a little bit different than bolt snaps and valve drills?

DIR is not Religion. It is possible to dive as a DIR team member doing tech & cave dives one weekend and do a solo beach dive the next. If a tech diver isn't capable of executing a safe solo dive, then he ain't much of a tech diver. In fact, I'll go as far to say that solo diving teaches self-sufficiency and makes a better team diver, assuming the diver is an otherwise good team diver. The fact that some proponents can't understand that, is a big part of the reason I didn't bother to renew my card.

There are those doing solo cave dives, which may be another matter. But again, as long as that diver is a good team member, then there's no reason he should not still be considered DIR when in that mode.

JeffG:
DIR Rebreather isn't even remotely DIR. It is a lame excuse in which to work the term DIR and rebreather into the same sentence.

I can't comment on its lameness. But Cedric's efforts to improve CCR diving practices are a good thing. Not DIR, but still good.

rjack321:
I can't comment on its lameness. But Cedric's efforts to improve CCR diving practices are a good thing. Not DIR, but still good.
He has a serious credibility problem in my eyes.

DeepSeaExplorer:
It is possible to dive as a DIR team member doing tech & cave dives one weekend and do a solo beach dive the next.
Again, that sounds good on paper, but does it work in practice?

Solo diving requires a different type of situational awareness and I can't see how realistically someone could go from "Team mode" to "solo mode".

I'm not saying it is impossible, but I believe it would be improbable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom