What is DIR Misinformation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffG:
He has a serious credibility problem in my eyes.

I can see why, although its impact depends on what you think is important. That whole SE asia CCR crowd is "unusual" to say the least.

Hey they can start by having a BOV on all their mouthpeices, maybe they'll agree on some other "standards". Should have tried to come up with his own lingo though. So I would put his website/initiative in the "misinformation" category.

rjack321:
I can see why, although its impact depends on what you think is important. That whole SE asia CCR crowd is "unusual" to say the least.

Hey they can start by having a BOV on all their mouthpeices, maybe they'll agree on some other "standards". Should have tried to come up with his own lingo though. So I would put his website/initiative in the "misinformation" category.

[offtopic/hijack]
I do believe that team CCR diving is possible. Lots of people are doing it right now. (Chickdiver, Barney come to mind. The Mossman is poking around with CCR's/team diving) Heck, I even tried a Meg in a pool.

I just don't think Cedric has what it takes cranial speaking to pull it off...

But, no matter what, It is not DIR...

The people doing it, couldn't give a rat's dingle dong that its not DIR

[/offtopic/hijack]

ffestpirate:
How can DIR misinform if I can't troll......that hardly seems fair
Hello you fun loving guys:)

ffestpirate is this you? You seem pretty DIR to me... :mooner:

KeyLargojune06063.jpg

:D

rjack321:
ffestpirate is this you? You seem pretty DIR to me... :mooner:
:D
Dig the bubbles on the 1st...You would almost guess he was using a Sherwood reg.

DeepSeaExplorer:
DIR is not Religion. It is possible to dive as a DIR team member doing tech & cave dives one weekend and do a solo beach dive the next. If a tech diver isn't capable of executing a safe solo dive, then he ain't much of a tech diver. In fact, I'll go as far to say that solo diving teaches self-sufficiency and makes a better team diver, assuming the diver is an otherwise good team diver. The fact that some proponents can't understand that, is a big part of the reason I didn't bother to renew my card.

There are those doing solo cave dives, which may be another matter. But again, as long as that diver is a good team member, then there's no reason he should not still be considered DIR when in that mode.

So what?

In this instance, the short answer is: Solo diving does not go with DIR.

DIR is a holistic approach. How can it be holistic if you choose what parts to apply or only to apply it to your diving one day but not the next?

rainman_02:
DIR is a holistic approach. How can it be holistic if you choose what parts to apply or only to apply it to your diving one day but not the next?

I think it depends on whether you are applying the rule or the reason. The can light- great for signalling in most environments, but some would say it's not as effective in shallow, clear, bright water. Sure you could take it, but what does it add?

Adobo:
As a person who has taken quite a few classes from Joe T, Delia and indrectly from Andrew, I would be first to admit that there are quite a few people who are quite capable of teaching (and are arguably "authorities" on the subject) the diving style and philosophy of the WKPP and GUE. But to me, that is a different statement than saying that Naui Tec is now a source of DIR learning.

If we are not going to be very specific about who in NAUI tech and PDIC are qualified to teach DIR and if we are not going to insist that we are told when content being covered is a deviation from the tenets of DIR (diving solo by choice rather than by necessity), then I suspect we have lost the connection to "DIR" as I understood it when it was first described to me.

I could give you a partial list of "qaulified" DIR instructors in NAUI Tec. These are people who have been "DIR" since before the term was coined or GUE was a glimmer in JJ's eye.

I'm one of them. I "cut my teeth" as a WKPP gas diver 10 years ago. I thought about teaching for GUE, but their course schedules don't work for me, so I went with NAUI Tec instead. Fromt he beginning NAUI Tec has had very heavy "DIR" leanings, due to a close relationship between it's progenitor, Tim O'Leary, and George. As more of us have come into the fold, it has moved more and more in that direction. For years I have drawn students ~because~ I was a DIR instructor without the GUE label.

I realize that my avatar makes everything I have said here somewhat questionable, but we all must "grow" :wink:.

Heather

oops.. double post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom