What is DIR Misinformation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got enough excess baggage anyway...:eyebrow:

NWGratefulDiver:
I don't get why "being DIR" is so important to some people.
Groupies. Gotta have the same gear as the macho divers. It's not that much different than newly minted OW students copying what the instructor uses.

Obviously, this isn't the only reason for wanting to "be DIR", but the coolness factor and "elevation by association (the flip side of "guilt by association") are surely a factor for some divers.

NWGratefulDiver:
I don't get why "being DIR" is so important to some people. I'd prefer to avoid the label ... and all the excess baggage that goes with it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I like 'being DIR' because I feel like there is a lot I don't know about diving, and I like using a system that has been tried and tested. Some people might even call me a lemming.

pengwe:
I like 'being DIR' because I feel like there is a lot I don't know about diving, and I like using a system that has been tried and tested. Some people might even call me a lemming.
People have been trying and testing diving systems for decades ... some much more so than DIR. In fact, DIR itself is constantly evolving as things get tried and tested.

It's a good system ... I just think a lot of people get so wrapped up in "being DIR" that they stop thinking about why they're doing some of the things they do ... or accepting the notion that the system represents an "ideal" that may or may not be the best solution to a given situation.

It's important to understand "why" ... not just "how" ... it might even help to understand "why not" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

SparticleBrane:
I've got enough excess baggage anyway...:eyebrow:
Me too ... but I've been working hard to lose some of it ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Me too ... but I've been working hard to lose some of it ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Me three. I guess I'm just going to have to get used to being snickered at, teased and jeered by the blue gloves if I want to go have lots of fun again. Who wants to come kneel down on the bottom with me? Let's be bad! FREEDOM!

New tank sticker: Still in trim? Newbie!

TSandM:
It's this idea that one step out of line and you're excommunicated that really bothers me.

I spent 15 minutes alone in the water under a boat in the Virgin Islands. Is that enough solo diving to make me "not DIR"? I went crabbing a couple of weeks ago, and flung myself gleefully around underwater with minimal awareness of team, no attention to positioning, no light discipline . . . am I not DIR now?

Wow! that sounds like the kind of diving I like to do..catching and killing things (and mostly solo). Trim and sac and perfect bouyancy control mean very little to me, they are just minor considerations, when the goal is to be productive and to be safe and to be able to do it again on the following day. The shallower the water, the more fun it is (all other things being equal).

From what I read of many of the DIR proponents, this type of diving would be unimaginable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom