What is DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started to learn more about DIR F and what it teaches. I used to think a long hose was only another entanglement hazard, but now I know better. There is text on the course. Read it and practice some of the techniques and you too may realize that it is the basic skills and equipment that is considered "standard" for all dives. Of course if you are diving in a certain circumstance then you would need to adapt the accessories. Not every pirate needs a hat with a plume, not every pirate has a pet parrot, and not every pirate uses the same sword; but, those who want to DIR will have the appropriate essentials and what it takes to do the pirate job properly. : ) R

PhotoTJ once bubbled...

...I don't see how you can use the exact same set up for all dives, all divers, in all conditions, and that is what my understanding of DIR is, from the articles I've been reading.

A cave dive, a wreck dive, a photo dive, a lobster dive, and a halibut dive all require different equipment.

Like most who encounter religious instruction -

There are those who follow it but know how to be real people and talk to the non-orthodox.

There are those who have read the texts and take what they needed for a better life but not joined a church

There are the manic evangelisers who believe all non-followers are sinners and deserve to die in the buning pits of hell

There are the deliberately contrarian atheists who will deliberately shun all aspects including the intelligent ones.

On this board it is mainly the last two groups that start most of the wars !!

Read up on it and pick the team you want to be in !!

Thanks for all the info Cave Diver! You should post your article for all to see it is very well written and very informative. After reading it and some of the links you provided I would have to say I think the problem causing the controversy is the name "Do it right" (it implies that most don't) and the way some of the teachers and inventers write. IMHO they have a we are the best and we are better than you attitude although some of there ideas make sense I think they need to tone it down a bit. :)

Actually DIR does not imply at all that most are not doing it right but rather that most of the worlds best divers have taken their experiences and what they have found to work best, and then communicated it. Also, the majority of the DIR principles and configurations seen are based upon fatalities, accidents and so forth. The analysis of these unfortunate accidents has shed light on what could have been done to prevent it.

There are many who hod DIR to be the holy grail, and many who attack it because they feel it is too rigid and too black and white. Personally, I trust and rely on the experts and those who have done things no one else has done. So far, it has worked wonderfully for me.

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...
There are many who hod DIR to be the holy grail, and many who attack it because they feel it is too rigid and too black and white. Personally, I trust and rely on the experts and those who have done things no one else has done. So far, it has worked wonderfully for me.

The old Reagan philosophy of "trust but verify" makes more sense than blind "trust and rely on the experts and those who have done things no one else has done" .

In addition to those who hold DIR to be the holy grail; and those that blindly reject all things DIR; there are many people who listen to DIR and even the DIR wannabes, evaluate what they hear, and choose what makes sense for their dives.

Charlie

I have watched this exchange debate go on for years. I personnaly suscribe to a lot of the DIR gear configs for some of my diving. Yet for other events it is not appropriate. I dive both sides of this debate. Depending on what we are doing I may be DIR BP, or a tropical trip BC, or when we are working boat or some other recovery, hooka.
I do wish some (and it is a minority) of the DIR responses were more tolerant. There are a few who alienate some of the newer divers, or the tropical divers that have never been exposed to the rigors of caving. Make no mistake, cave diving, and deep wreck penetration, is very serious, vs going over the side of the boat solo to check on the anchor set before sundown with a 13 cu ft pony in ones hand.
We should all strive to educate and promote safe diving. Jc.

Agreed with the last post. My instructor for my Advanced Nitrox is fond of saying that he is a rookie. The moment that he believes that his configuration or methods are the only right ones, he is in trouble. He is a cave diver with many cave dives and he is always learning something new. He is always looking to improve. So the implication that someone has THE only correct way of doing things tends to get under peoples' skins, even if they are trying to maintain an open mind.

I am relatively new to the world of decompression diving and have a great deal to learn. I don't want to limit it by listening to ONLY one school of thought. Let us all share the info that we need to stay alive when we do things outside the realm of recreational diving and not be afraid of what others will say to us. And let's all listen to each other without some of the "smart" comments that I have read in here. To me, there is no place for that in an environment where a closed mind can cause serious problems.

I think a big problem is rule number one that states you are not allowed to dive with strokes. Then it classifies a stroke as someone who does not adhear to dir philosaphy. Basically they alienate themselves from the rest of the world giving us the view that they are "holier than thou".

double125's once bubbled...
I think a big problem is rule number one that states you are not allowed to dive with strokes. Then it classifies a stroke as someone who does not adhear to dir philosaphy. Basically they alienate themselves from the rest of the world giving us the view that they are "holier than thou".
That may be the case, but the way I define a rule#1 situation is that I won't dive with unsafe divers. I could care less whether or not they are DIR or not. I also don't do anything deep/challenging unless I am diving with one of my regular buddies...and they might be DIR..

Back
Top Bottom