What is DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lal7176 once bubbled...

Were those responses given on this board or some other board. The only flames i see in this thread are by the DIR haters. I have not seen pug or anyone else start flaming in this thread, so what gives? :confused:

On this board, and not by pug or anyone else that is truely trying to be helpful. DIR wannbe's most likely and, yes, I agree the DIR haters are not helping either.

jray once bubbled...
I see this acronym quite often on this board an I'm clueless about it's meaning. What does it stand for? I apologize in advance for for my cluelessness.:confused:

If you would like a concise, straightforward and non-confrontational overview of a little bit about what DIR is and isnt, PM me with your email address and I will send you a copy of an article that I wrote on the subject.

the articals that I've just been reading sound elitest-quasi-religous. Doing It Right? Who is to say what's right for another diver?

Maybe the non-DIR people are a little touchy about the name. It seems to indicate if your not DIR than your Doing It Wrong. And that could certainly rub someone the wrong way.

Has anyone tried DIR and found that they didn't like it? I would be very interested to hear from someone who tried DIR and found it was not right for them.

Kat once bubbled...
Maybe the non-DIR people are a little touchy about the name. It seems to indicate if your not DIR than your Doing It Wrong. And that could certainly rub someone the wrong way.

Excellent point, I think that may be the crux of the matter. Having said that...

I claim to be an expert at very few things, (scuba included), but I don't see how you can use the exact same set up for all dives, all divers, in all conditions, and that is what my understanding of DIR is, from the articles I've been reading.

A cave dive, a wreck dive, a photo dive, a lobster dive, and a halibut dive all require different equipment.

we don't mind "Dive Rite" now do we?

I don't think it's the equipment...
hey, I dive the modified Hogarthian system too.

I don't think it is MOST of the DIR divers...
while they may be vocal and passionate about the way they dive, they are usually well reasoned and intentioned.

It's not even the philosophy...
it's possibly the best way to go for extreme diving!

It might be a few of the "DIR wannabes"...
who feel that in order to appear as a devotee, they must tell everyone else that they are about to die. Unfortunately, these few seem to cause a lot of others to become critics.

It might be our own attitudes and prejudices...
we are an independent group... no one tells US what to do!

As for me... the verdict is still out.

NetDoc once bubbled...
It might be a few of the "DIR wannabes"...
who feel that in order to appear as a devotee, they must tell everyone else that they are about to die. Unfortunately, these few seem to cause a lot of others to become critics.

Well said!

IMHO, this is the major factor in the rift between the DIR and Non DIR divers. People who only have a small part of the picture often paint it wrong when trying to show it to someone else, and this doesnt just apply to diving.

PhotoTJ once bubbled...

Excellent point, I think that may be the crux of the matter. Having said that...

I claim to be an expert at very few things, (scuba included), but I don't see how you can use the exact same set up for all dives, all divers, in all conditions, and that is what my understanding of DIR is, from the articles I've been reading.

A cave dive, a wreck dive, a photo dive, a lobster dive, and a halibut dive all require different equipment.

In short, you don't.

You take what you need, and don't take what you don't need. The basics stay the same throughout. And DIR is a whole lot more than equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom