What is it with divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natasha:
I was a Tennis player before I was a diver. I played Tennis in other states. I wore a T shirt that said, "Life is Tennis"..I LOVED tennis.

Now that I'm a diver, I dive in other states, and countries. I wear a Scubaboard T shirt. I LOVE Diving.

What's next for me? Could be anything..but I still LOVE Tennis, and Diving, and always will.

Come with me, my dear and watch a gopher hockey game! After they destroy their opponent, I'll take you to the elevator they exit after the game and you will meet some of the players. Then you will go out and buy skates and sign up for a novice league. And every time you hit the ice, you'll think of the gophers and how great it must be to play in Mariucci Arena and how great it must be to score and have 10000 fans erupt all at once. You won't stop diving but you'll have a new obsession.

OK,well maybe I'm just wierd or something.

OOPS, I forgot, you'll also get a shirt that says "The puck has no lungs, it does not get tired"

Hockeynut:
OOPS, I forgot, you'll also get a shirt that says "The puck has no lungs, it does not get tired"

LOL Take me, I'm yours! :winky:

Natasha:
I was a Tennis player before I was a diver. I played Tennis in other states. I wore a T shirt that said, "Life is Tennis"..I LOVED tennis.

Now that I'm a diver, I dive in other states, and countries. I wear a Scubaboard T shirt. I LOVE Diving.

What's next for me? Could be anything..but I still LOVE Tennis, and Diving, and always will.

That reminds me of an advert I saw in World Tennis magazine about 20 years ago or so. It was talking about a resort in the Bahamas, and the picture that ran with it was of a girl in a tennis dress and scuba gear, about to serve a tennis ball underwater. That looked soooooo cool.... :biggrin2:

ScubaTexan:
That reminds me of an advert I saw in World Tennis magazine about 20 years ago or so. It was talking about a resort in the Bahamas, and the picture that ran with it was of a girl in a tennis dress and scuba gear, about to serve a tennis ball underwater. That looked soooooo cool.... :biggrin2:

Wow, Ken, Are you trying to seduce me? :winky:

Mrs. Robinson, I really think I should be going now. Mrs. Robinson?? Mrs. Robinson????

The SB TOS is fast disappearing into the distance now..........Oh my.....

I'm going to step on a few toes here, but I think the answer to the original question is a little different. Many of the divers I know are a little bit nonsocial and not very physically adept. Unlike many other sports, diving allows just about any human being to be proficient with little physical effort and socialization. Therefore diving becomes very important in their lives and allows them to feel as if they've accomplished something. The physical effort and embarrassing mistakes present in, say, whitewater kayaking, don't really exist, so as a sport it's pretty easy on the ego. I've seen people who *have* made those big diving mistakes more or less give it up.

Let the flaming begin :wink:

ScubaTexan:
Mrs. Robinson, I really think I should be going now. Mrs. Robinson?? Mrs. Robinson????

LOL You know I'm your " Rock and Roll Babe" Benjamin.

nkw5:
Why are divers so obsessed with diving? The divers I know, myself included, are always thinking about diving. If it's not when or where, it's what new gadget to make or buy or making a new connection with another diver. Is there something physiological? We gotta dive to get our high? We're hooked on something? I can't think of any other hobby that is so addicting (except maybe running?).

I love diving but I have to say I was more addicted to surfing and body surfing. Now I dive because there are no waves here in the Caribbean to speak of. And I do aquaculture for a living so I guess it's the water. Yep, I like it wet for sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom