What is scuba diving's orange shovel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ckjacques53198:
Why is wearing a dive shirt lame? I have dive flag on my truck tow hitch. I also have a couple of shirts that I thought were cool. I always enjoy seeing a dive flag because I feel like I'm part of the same club. Who cares how many dives somebody does a year?

Right on. I don't understand why a dive t-shirt is considered an "orange shovel." Like I said, during surface interval, what the hell else are you gonna wear? A tuxedo? (Maybe the DIR folks have an all-black tuxedo, now that I think about it...) :eyebrow:

I have a dive flag sticker on my Jeep's windshield, and a Nitrox sticker on the back. If someone thinks that's an "orange shovel," they are more than welcome to come up to me and tell me so. They are also welcome to :10: the fattest part of my :mooner:

Mo2vation:
Next time you're on the road - find a dealer license plate frame on the back of a car, and pull up next to it. Look at the driver. Oh yeah... you KNOW this goober is still in their OW Slap Strap, has NPR #1, and likely has an orange shovel in the glove box.

---
Ken
1- go a step further...how many ppl have a dealer sticker or badging on their car?
had mine delivered without either at express order.
2- npr is my first radio spot. there are few better stations, imho. love my sirius & 2 more npr stations as well
3- the orange shovel is actually very useful backpacking. I laugh when I see people use sticks that keep breaking. plenty of spots where you won't find sticks capable of the job anyway.

This thread shows signs of turning into a preferred equipment/configuration thread. My thoughts none the less regarding the original question:
In my locale a snorkel attached to the mask strap is USUALLY indicative of a new diver. An overly bulky (with purges and flaps) snorkel attached to the mask is surely an unitiated diver.
A pre packaged save a dive usually is indicitive a diver just loaded up rather than packing what he really needs. Similarly the multitools.
As to dive flag accessories..we have all had to grab a hat, sun glasses etc from a dive shop, but when an individual has the matching hat, glasses, shirt, shorts, shoes etc, (not saying it is a bad thing, but) it usually screams newbie.
Color coordinated BC, wraps, skirts, hose protectors, fins usually means newbie, or at least everything was purchased at the same time. When I bought my first set of gear, I bought all the same color. Back then however we essentially had a choice of black or black.
An over abundance of retractors is indicative of a new diver. (I don't use them, but I have seen very experienced divers who use them in very limited applications where failure is not a deal breaker.)
An overly bulky, gimicky and overly large "gonna work in the tropics with a single AL 80 and work for doubles when I get into tech" BC usually is indicative of a newbie.
(editorial comment: People, people, by the time you progress to doubles the cost of a new BC or wing is minimal. Get the correct BC or wing today.)

Fish_Whisperer:
Right on. I don't understand why a dive t-shirt is considered an "orange shovel." Like I said, during surface interval, what the hell else are you gonna wear? A tuxedo? (Maybe the DIR folks have an all-black tuxedo, now that I think about it...) :eyebrow:

I have a dive flag sticker on my Jeep's windshield, and a Nitrox sticker on the back. If someone thinks that's an "orange shovel," they are more than welcome to come up to me and tell me so. They are also welcome to :10: the fattest part of my :mooner:

That IS good.

I have not read the entire thread, but surely people cannot be implying there is something wrong with displaying "colors".:shakehead

This at least is not like the surf apparel industry.

wow this is one long thread and i myself like everyone else is guilty of the orange shovel and id have to say my biggest one was the ramboo knife on the leg.

Hmmm..diving in these parts, I'd say the biggest "orange shovel" is a wetsuit. Generally speaking, most new divers will make about 20 wet dives before switching over to a drysuit. So someone diving wet up here is either on an "expedition" from somewhere else or recently certified and hasn't yet made their first "big" purchase.

The only other "orange shovel" I can think of (again, around here) is a snorkel still attached to the mask. Most of us dive w/o one, and those that do generally stow it in a BC pocket to get it out of the way. It's one less piece of confusion on your left side and one less piece of drag should you mistime a tide and have some current to deal with. And if someone IS wearing it, I still wouldn't automatically assume they're a new diver...just possibly one who dives very much "by the book".

Cheers,
Austin

I don't think any one or two "orange shovels" can identify a new diver. As said before, the ultimate orange shovel is giving a crap what others think and giving up a piece of gear that works for you simply because others think it is an orange shovel.

If you can't spot a new diver by their overall demeanor and behaviour then maybe you're the new diver. It's lke the saying goes, "if you're sitting round the poker table trying to spot the sucker and you can't find him, he's you".

That said, in the interest of fun I thought of one more "orange shovel" I've not seen mentioned yet - the pneumatic tank band. Bought by the n00b who is paranoid his tank will fall off and resorts to this only because it would be too inconvenient to tack weld the tank to the BC. Of course, then there is the guy who uses a regular cam band but looks like he will rip his back apart as he pulls on the strap with both hands until it locks into place with an ear-splitting snap.

littlewaywelt:
1- go a step further...how many ppl have a dealer sticker or badging on their car?
had mine delivered without either at express order.
2- npr is my first radio spot. there are few better stations, imho. love my sirius & 2 more npr stations as well
3- the orange shovel is actually very useful backpacking. I laugh when I see people use sticks that keep breaking. plenty of spots where you won't find sticks capable of the job anyway.

If you're a chick and you have NPR as your #1, you're way over 27 and therefore, out of the demo anyway. Unless you're driving daddy's car - then its OK.

If you're a guy with NPR as #1, you likely golf more holes in a year than legitimate dives in a year.

NPR... crimany. What next, Prarie Gnome Companion? :rolleyes:

Radio for the AARP set. Engine noise is preferred.

---
Ken

I am SO GLAD that my new Diva BCD has BIG pockets, so you all can't see what kinds of little orange shovels I have in them!!!!

And I love to see other people's travel logos on their stuff--It's a good conversation started, "I see your shirt has Palau on it, have you been there?" etc. Inquiring minds want to know......

I've been backpacking for years and I still carry that orange shovel. It doesn't weigh anything, and try finding a stick when you have to take a **** above the treeline.

Then again, I'm new to diving, and maybe I'll fall in love with my $40 snorkle that I got suckered into buying. At least I'll pretend to like it until I've paid off the credit card bill.

Anyone want to buy a really nice snorkle? Oh ya, and a well worn orange shovel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom