What is scuba diving's orange shovel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merxlin:
1. Put on all your gear. Anything that can't be worn should be laid out in front of you so it is visible and identifiable.
2. Have someone take a photo of you in/with said gear.
3. Post on Scubaboard- Title "Did I make good choices in gear?"
4. Grab large amounts of food and beverages (just no Kool-aid :wink: ) so you can read the 200+ posts on everything wrong with what you chose. Slight breaks will be had when posters will argue among themselves about how bad the choice was. :popcorn:
5. Be prepared for someone to tell you several of the items you chose are so bad "You're Gonna Die!"
6. Go dive in your gear, and live to tell about it.

:lol:

that's about the truth. that's about the only downside to this forum, if you want an opinion, you get 100 long winded ones that all conflict.

someday everyone will realize that my opinion is the only right one. :D

Mo2vation:
If you're a chick and you have NPR as your #1, you're way over 27 and therefore, out of the demo anyway. Unless you're driving daddy's car - then its OK.

If you're a guy with NPR as #1, you likely golf more holes in a year than legitimate dives in a year.

NPR... crimany. What next, Prarie Gnome Companion? :rolleyes:

Radio for the AARP set. Engine noise is preferred.

---
Ken
I know plenty of "chicks" with NPR as their #1 radio station...and quite a few aren't over 27...only their IQ's are...

And as to point two...I can put in 36 holes on a good day...can you put in 36 "legitimate" dives in the same time? That being said...being the high handicap I am, I have more fun and put in more dives than holes played over the course of a year. And by legitimate dives, I certainly hope you don't count anything in water over 60 degrees...those aren't "legitimate" dives around here...:crafty:

:rofl3:

Cheers,
Austin

jefffalcone:
try finding a stick when you have to take a **** above the treeline.
If I'm above the treeline, I've got a hiking stick with me, since to get that far up the trails are steep and it serves a lot of other purposes(tarp center pole, walking stick, support for crossing washouts/moving water cat hole digging, etc)

I find the orange shovels tend to break sooner then a good air dried stick.
Also above the treeline the winter-summer cycle is often so quick that its better to use the spreading method instead of burying, buried round here above the treeline it can last for quite a few years.

The heel of my boot also works great for diggin, or moving harder dirt or larger rock bits then an orange shovel can handle.

LIVES4SHARKS:
Here is a link to explain gear and some different choices you have. http://www.gue.com/Equipment/Config/index.html

What you will find, is that there are a bunch of different opinions and basically gear should be set up for the type of diving you are doing. Some LDS's will sell you alot of stuff that sounds good but actually underwater are not necessary or become very cumbersome. The more crap attatched to your BC can become a tangle hazzard later on. Plus the more "danglies" the greater chance you can hurt coral etc. What I am finding is to keep things simple and out of my way. I just need the basics on my dive, which do include a whistle, mirror, light, safety sausage, and small knife. I hope that helps and "HAPPY DIVING"!

--Carolyn

That helps a ton!, the sounds good but not needed gear is what I'm trying to avoid.
thanks for the link.

merxlin:
1. Put on all your gear. Anything that can't be worn should be laid out in front of you so it is visible and identifiable.
2. Have someone take a photo of you in/with said gear.
3. Post on Scubaboard- Title "Did I make good choices in gear?"
4. Grab large amounts of food and beverages (just no Kool-aid :wink: ) so you can read the 200+ posts on everything wrong with what you chose. Slight breaks will be had when posters will argue among themselves about how bad the choice was. :popcorn:
5. Be prepared for someone to tell you several of the items you chose are so bad "You're Gonna Die!"
6. Go dive in your gear, and live to tell about it.
Truth told O wise one :laughing:

All of you high school mentality types that LOVE to single out "newbies" or anyone that doesn't fit in your mold of "COOL" can dive with each other and put little stars on your shirts and have weinie/marshmellow roast together. {this kinda reminds of a story written by DR Seuss that I used to read to my kids} GROW UP !! Why should any body care what some one else wants to dive with as far as color, style, brand etc.
If you see someone laughing at someone else that is having fun GUESS WHO THE REAL DORK IS ??

3-Ring Octopus:
I know plenty of "chicks" with NPR as their #1 radio station...and quite a few aren't over 27...only their IQ's are...

And as to point two...I can put in 36 holes on a good day...can you put in 36 "legitimate" dives in the same time? That being said...being the high handicap I am, I have more fun and put in more dives than holes played over the course of a year. And by legitimate dives, I certainly hope you don't count anything in water over 60 degrees...those aren't "legitimate" dives around here...:crafty:

:rofl3:

Cheers,
Austin

They're all yours. I'm confident the plenty of < 27 YO PNW chicks with NPR as #1 that you know (the ones with the raging IQ's) don't dive.

Their chess club meetings are on Saturday mornings.

---
Ken

Mauifish:
All of you high school mentality types that LOVE to single out "newbies" or anyone that doesn't fit in your mold of "COOL" can dive with each other and put little stars on your shirts and have weinie/marshmellow roast together. {this kinda reminds of a story written by DR Seuss that I used to read to my kids} GROW UP !! Why should any body care what some one else wants to dive with as far as color, style, brand etc.
If you see someone laughing at someone else that is having fun GUESS WHO THE REAL DORK IS ??

Amen to that! scuba is fun......as long as your not a huge GUY in a HOT PINK wet suit i wont make fun! :kicknut: that would just be to funny of an opertunity to not take advantage of

I finally had to fast forward to the end of this thread. Sheesh...

First of all, I like collecting Tshirts from places I've been. Too bad if that makes me look like a newb. I also played and coached rugby for over 25 years, and still wear the Tshirts of where I've been and played. And I have the body to prove I'm no newb. :D

And I happen to like the masks and straps in question.

What makes a newb look like a newb is not so much what they're wearing. It's how they conduct themselves.

Oh yeah. I have a diver down plate on my car. It's more for me than to let other people know I dive. Reminds me of what I 'd really like to be doing at any given time.

Back
Top Bottom