What is the best and lightest BC for traveling? Cressi Travelite??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not everyone just a very vocal minority on Scubaboard.

a simple review of any online dealer's website, your local store, what almost everyone on the boat is using makes that immediately apparent - unless you're in Cave Country where the opposite is true.

Ask how comfortable a steel/kydex plate is when you're diving in a swimsuit. Or unpadded 2" webbing.

Don't get me wrong, they definitely have their place.
Since your current BC is a Ladyhawk, I don't think you're the target market demographic though...lol
I absolutely am not a technical or cave diver. I'm a 100 dive "OMG, this is Beautiful, 4 tanks a day drift and Manta Ray loving vacation diver"

Zeagle Covert. Super light and easy to pack. I have an extra one for sale if interested. It's basically brand new(only used a couple times). Size L. Asking 400.
Thank you so much but I need a small

Not everyone just a very vocal minority on Scubaboard.

a simple review of any online dealer's website, your local store, what almost everyone on the boat is using makes that immediately apparent - unless you're in Cave Country where the opposite is true.

Ask how comfortable a steel/kydex plate is when you're diving in a swimsuit. Or unpadded 2" webbing.

Don't get me wrong, they definitely have their place.
Since your current BC is a Ladyhawk, I don't think you're the target market demographic though...lol
I think you are right!

I absolutely am not a technical or cave diver. I'm a 100 dive "OMG, this is Beautiful, 4 tanks a day drift and Manta Ray loving vacation diver"

A BP/W works very well for the type of recreational diving you're doing. Wife and I took our DSS kits to Australia last year since they're both light and pack very small. The fit can be dialed in perfectly with a one-piece harness. Very comfortable. Also a very good value. I started using one after about 20 dives, my wife was certified in hers and has never dived in anything else. I'm using the 26# wing, she's using the 17# wing.

14344863_10100968886560368_5374307517322501060_n-jpg.405071.jpg

14317347_10100968887912658_3187976648598166042_n-jpg.405072.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW, I am a "destination diver". I have a Cressi Air Travel. Like everything in life, it was a compromise. It is light (5.6lbs), easy to pack, back inflate, has weight integration with a positive lock (if you hear them "click" into place, then they will be held securely, but ya gotta hear the click), and met most/all of my needs.

I said it was a compromise. There are some things that I am not 100% thrilled with. The Low Pressure Inflator (LPI) was broken on mine when I bought it. (The button was installed wrong and it would constantly inflate.) I found it out on the first dive when I was on a live aboard. I have to take the hit for that. I know better than to take a new piece of gear on a trip without at least a pool session first. Since then, I have replaced my LPI, and I am planning a pool session before my next trip. It does not come with non-dumpable weight pouches on the tank strap which would allow me to trim my weight better. Not a problem, these are cheap and easy to add.

Do I recommend it? I would have to say a "qualified" yes. I do recommend it, but check it out in the pool before you travel with it. (A very good idea no matter which BCD you get.) This BCD will benefit a lot simply by adding a couple non-dumpable weight pockets to the tank strap, and finally, be very careful when you remove & replace the weight pockets. Make sure they click firmly into place.

I used the Cressi one day in HI when my Ladyhawk was acting up. My BC has the same "click necessary" weight pockets. I thought there were a couple of non dumpable weight pockets on the back on the BC on either side of the tank maybe?? My ladyhawk has the AIR2 system with the LHI. what do you have>

Whatever you decide on, make sure it's not only right for you but right for the type of diving you want to do.

If you start travelling off the more dived path you need to make sure whatever brand you buy can be serviced and understood in your destination.

The BPW fan club doesn't necessarily exist in some areas I've dived so that's another reason I'm not using one. My dive buddies BPW set up may have well as been alien bondage gear from the look on the faces of a couple of operators in Madagascar.

Brands matter too - another reason I use all aqualung gear, its serviceable pretty much worldwide and familiar - parts aren't on a ship in Singapore and will arrive next month, usually dive centres can find something to fix minor problems.

If you intend to do long trips, every gram/pound of weight matters...not just in excess baggage fees but on your arms and shoulders. Dive gear"s heavy no matter how we look at it so my travel set of gear is put together to save every bit of weight I can. I use the lightest possible hoses to fins...obviously making sure they do the job and I'm happy with them.

Buy whatever feels right for you and your diving pathway

I used the Cressi one day in HI when my Ladyhawk was acting up. My BC has the same "click necessary" weight pockets. I thought there were a couple of non dumpable weight pockets on the back on the BC on either side of the tank maybe?? My ladyhawk has the AIR2 system with the LHI. what do you have>
I switched out the Low Pressure Inflator that came with the BCD. Now I just have a generic one, but it is one that I have confidence in. I don't have an AIR2 system, I simply have a "regular" Octo and a "regular" Low Pressure Inflator.

Whatever you decide on, make sure it's not only right for you but right for the type of diving you want to do.

If you start travelling off the more dived path you need to make sure whatever brand you buy can be serviced and understood in your destination.

The BPW fan club doesn't necessarily exist in some areas I've dived so that's another reason I'm not using one. My dive buddies BPW set up may have well as been alien bondage gear from the look on the faces of a couple of operators in Madagascar.

Brands matter too - another reason I use all aqualung gear, its serviceable pretty much worldwide and familiar - parts aren't on a ship in Singapore and will arrive next month, usually dive centres can find something to fix minor problems.

If you intend to do long trips, every gram/pound of weight matters...not just in excess baggage fees but on your arms and shoulders. Dive gear"s heavy no matter how we look at it so my travel set of gear is put together to save every bit of weight I can. I use the lightest possible hoses to fins...obviously making sure they do the job and I'm happy with them.

Buy whatever feels right for you and your diving pathway

I wouldn't bother selecting a BC based on serviceability. Unlike a regulator, there's not much to go wrong. And if you're that far afield, you should take parts with you. A replacement dump valve for mine is $3.95, and a replacement power inflator is $16.95. Neither of those are just going to fail out of the blue, but if you're really worried about it it's a minor cost and small size to bring the parts. The service tech may not have seen a BP/W before, but the fact is the mechanics of it are exactly the same as any other BC. Just because the physical appearance is different doesn't mean it actually is a problem to service.

I suspect you've never actually tried this. Even with only a T-shirt it's perfectly comfortable. Put neoprene covers on the straps and it's comfortable naked if you prefer that.
you'd be wrong. I tried one once (full hogarthian setup) when considering twins. setup by the gm of my local shop - his personal gear he graciously re-rigged for me (I'm bigger). I liked the stability, did not like the way the plate bridged my shoulderblades in a t-shirt which is all I use. I also do a lot of shore diving - some with longer carries - so unpadded straps seemed like they could be an issue. I didn't even like getting into/out of it so I'd at least want a quick release.

has anyone actually measured the weight of a complete lightweight bpw system? i can find the weight of the plate and wing. how much more does the harness, d rings, cam band, weight pockets, etc add?

the cressi travelight is advertised as 5 to 6.2 lbs depending upon size. the previous flex bcd is even lighter since it did not have a quick release integrated weight system. it has a set of weight pockets inside the bcd pocket - not a smart idea as they become very difficult to ditch quickly.

This is based upon my memory so don't bank on it but I recently returned a Sherwood Ventura Travel BC that was advertised to weigh less than five pounds, be very compact, and actually weighed about seven pounds (with weight pockets) and was not really any more compact than a regular BC that had front pockets. The Ventura has no pockets other than weight pockets.

Based upon that experience I am now working on a backwing that weighs less than five pounds and is very compact and has a front pocket and two back pockets.

Back
Top Bottom