What is the best and lightest BC for traveling? Cressi Travelite??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok. Apparently I am an idiot. Say what??

I looked up the manufacturer and the back plate and the type. It seems they build you a BC. I only have 100 dives so this may be way to advanced for me.

It's important that it be smaller, lighter as well as well as collapsible

My wife used a setup from DSS on her first dives after certification. It is not advanced though advanced divers use them.

I packed both my and my wife's bp/w in a single duffle along with my wetsuit.

All the DMs on my last trip and all the instructors at local shop are diving them.

I can say with full confidence that picking a bpw for us is one few decisions Ive made with zero regrets. In fact, I will likely buy one for my 13 year old daughter for her training this summer.

A lot of why there's such strong affinity for them here is that they're really that good. But since most shops don't stock them, people don't necessarily get a chance to consider them. So those who know just how good they are want to make sure they're at least on the table. Combine that with a strong contingent of anti-BP/Wers, many of whom just saw a picture of one once and are now experts, and you get ongoing emotional discussions.

The emotion is pretty much always on one side of these issues. I don't get emotionally involved in buoyancy control devices. I know it is part of the mantra that if one doesn't prefer the BPW, it is due to inexperience or ignorance rather than a legitimate and valid preference. That just isn't true. I am not trying to shake anyone's faith in their belief that the BPW is The Answer, but for those not committed to the belief system, it is true that there are other types of buoyancy devices than the BPW that work better for some people and some situations. If one feels happiest in a BPW, then by all means use it, and certainly it is valid for anyone looking for a BC to consider the BPW along with other systems.

I think what happens a lot is that some people get introduced to diving / trained to dive in the entry-level wrap around BCD with weight belt and they find those things uncomfortable and inefficient. They are then introduced to a BPW and really like the effects of back inflate without really appreciating that there are back inflate BCs that offer the same benefits plus a more user friendly harness/pocket/weight design and often better comfort due to padding and articulating straps, etc. Additionally, some folks really cannot appreciate that what works for them in their diving life, may not work as well for other types of diving.

Granted, if you can't find a good fit in a BC, a BPW with a crotch strap may be what you need, and if you need to be able to use one device for your wetsuit and your drysuit and/or with sidemount, doubles, etc., then a BPW may be best. Like many others, I find my back-inflate BC very comfortable and have no trouble with trim or getting neutral. I need weights to dive, so a platic plate would not work for me and weight is provided free where I dive, so I don't need to take lead or steel on the plane with me. I am reminded here of the diver in front of me in the security line at the Cozumel airport. She had packed her steel plate in her carry-on to keep her luggage weight down. The security people refused to let her take the plate on the plane and seized it. Not big deal I suppose, but illustrative that needing to carry a 6 lb steel plate around is not always ideal. I expect she bought weight pockets before going to Cozumel again.

So tell me, if my back inflate BCD fits me well, offers all the lift I need, is comfortable, works well, is reliable, meets my needs, is easy and light to pack for plane travel and easy to get on and get off in the water when needed and I can afford it, what am I missing by not having a BPW?

Last edited:
The emotion is pretty much always on one side of these issues. I don't get emotionally involved in buoyancy control devices. I know it is part of the mantra that if one doesn't prefer the BPW, it is due to inexperience or ignorance rather than a legitimate and valid preference. That just isn't true. I am not trying to shake anyone's faith in their belief that there is only one BC and the backplate is his messenger, but for those not committed to the belief system, it is true that there are other types of buoyancy devices than the BPW that work better for some people and some situations. If one feels happiest in a BPW, then by all means that is the best choice for that person, and certainly it is valid for anyone looking for a BC to consider the BPW along with other systems.

I think what really happens a lot is that some people get introduced to diving / trained to dive in the entry-level wrap around BCD with weight belt and they find those things uncomfortable and inefficient. They are then introduced to a BPW and really like the effects of back inflate without really appreciating that there are back inflate BCs that offer the same benefits plus a more user friendly harness/pocket/weight design and often better comfort due to padding and articulating straps, etc. Granted, if you can't find a good fit in a BC, a BPW with a crotch strap may be what you need, and if you need to be able to use one device for your wetsuit and your drysuit and/or with sidemount, doubles, etc., then a BPW may be what you need. Like many others, I find my back-inflate BC very comfortable and have no trouble with trim or getting neutral. I need weights to dive, and weight is provided free where I dive, so I don't need to take lead or steel on the plane with me. I could go on, but there is no point.

So tell me, if my back inflate BCD fits me well, offers all the lift I need, is comfortable, works well, is reliable, meets my needs, is easy and light to pack for plane travel and easy to get on and get off in the water when needed and I can afford it, what am I missing by not having a BPW?

You're probably missing nothing. Perhaps a small disadvantage in volume when packing in a suitcase. I try to be careful to not speak in absolutes. They are a GOOD option, not the ONLY option.

Nothing emotional really - its a fit issue for me. Im actually excited to get a look at the new Backplate designed for teenagers that was exhibited at DEMA - if it works, then that may be something I will look into....its not easy being shaped like a 14 year old boy.

You're probably missing nothing. Perhaps a small disadvantage in volume when packing in a suitcase. I try to be careful to not speak in absolutes. They are a GOOD option, not the ONLY option.

I agree.

I think some of the "emotional" responses come from people that are tired of seeing new divers sold very expensive bcd's when a cheaper bp&w would have been better. One of the reasons many LDS don't sell bp&w is because they don't make as much profit as with the big brands jacket bcd's.

I believe the believe the best and lightest travel kit is a minimalist sidemount system. It's also the cheapest and most comfortable but involves some training with a good instructor (one day, 2 dives normally)for it's use/configuration.

Second best/lightest is a bp/w (again, imho). How light you want it will decide if you want a soft, alu or steel backplate. Easy to dive, no training required but some reading to learn how to setup and a couple hours of your time to adjust everything the first time. If you are obese, or are really not flexible you might have a hard time to remove the shoulders with the one piece harness. Some people add a quick release buckle to help, but not needed for most.

Third best would be a travel jacket bcd (i prefer back inflate) No training no adjustment/setup to do, but the less durable, flexible and compact of the 3 options.

To each their own :)

I think some of the "emotional" responses come from people that are tired of seeing new divers sold very expensive bcd's when a cheaper bp&w would have been better. ....

To each their own :)

That may be true of some of the responses, but I am also tired of recreational divers constantly being pushed towards gear that was designed for technical diving regardless if it applies to their current diving. Or they are told to sell their newly purchased traditional recreational gear because it is inferior. What percentage of recreational divers move on to technical ?

True, some gear is indeed better, but, better in what aspect, for what kind of diving ? Does that mean the gear that is inferior in comparison is inadequate ? Do the benefits and features of said gear make a big difference in recreational diving ? Definitely, sometimes, maybe, not really ?

I am a gear head, I want what is best. But, best for me and the type of diving I do. I dive a BP/W. My wife, sister and brother choose not to. We all happily dive together regardless of our choice of BCD, fins, dive computer, regulator setup.

To each their own indeed and I will say the "emotion" has definitely calmed down which is a welcome change. :thumb:

Congratulations, you must be the one-thousandth person to post on SB that you're looking for a lightweight BC for travel and (this time within 15 minutes) receive the reply of: "BP/W." Yes, for whatever reason, SB is heavily weighted with BP/W divers--out of proportion to the rest of the recreational diving world. However, the world seems to be slowly coming around.

I myself was bitten by the BP/W bug right here on SB. But before going out and buying one, I borrowed one to try it out. In fact my wife and I were both curious, so we both tried one out. Her first impression was along the lines of:

... may have well as been alien bondage gear ...

There is zero padding (though you can buy it as an option). It's not full of quick-release buckles and such stuff as you may be accustomed to. It features a solid metal or plastic (e.g., kydex) "plate." It feels strange at first if you're accustomed to a traditional padded BC. You'll either love it or hate it. It does indeed pack very compactly for travel. I highly suggest you borrow one and try it out first. My wife and I took a little while to warm up to it--some people take to a BP/W immediately, but we did not. However, once we succumbed to its charms, we never looked back. Anyway, do not buy one without trying it first, preferably with someone who can show you the ropes on how to adjust it, etc.

Calm down everyone, you're just talking about simple air bladders. It's not rocket science: :cheers:

Attachments

• homemade-sidemount-bcd-tyre.jpg
    homemade-sidemount-bcd-tyre.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 52
The negative reaction to virtually any recommendation of a Back Plate and Wing has long struck me as odd.

I see very few "pushing" BP&W's. I see quite a few recommending them. People recommend all sorts of gear they have had success with, from exposure protection to instruments to regulators to fins and BC's of all types.

Given that few dive shops stock or sell BP&W's it quite common that newer divers may well be unaware of them.

Public forums are exactly the place where new entrants to any activity should hope to discover things *other* than what they have been presented by the main stream.

Having said that I would never suggest that BP&W's are the only BC worth using, or that one cannot be a "good diver" unless they have a BP&W.

They remain one of many reasonable choices, but one that is under represented in most local dive shops.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom