What is the best method for catching spiny lobsters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flg8r90

Reaction score
I'm here in Florida looking for opinions for lobster gear. Is the $20.00 lobster kit at the LDS good enough? I guess I caught the lobstering "bug". Do you hunt on every dive ? Or do you sometimes leave your hunting gear at home. It seems extremely cumbersome to carry all of the gear all of the time. Any pointers you care to share would be appreciated.

Thanks,

#1 Read the laws on Florida Spiny Lobster harvesting.
#2 Obtain a Florida Saltwater fishing license, along with a Crawfish stamp.
#2 purchase a lobster snare (I prefer the green one, Force-E among other places sells them)
#3 purchase a lobster bag - You need something to keep them in while you dive! Look for one with a round, plastic top, and a nylon PARTIAL mesh zipper bag attached.
#4 purchase a tickle stick, some gloves, and a measuring tool.
#5 dive dive dive!

There are plenty of videos on YouTube that demonstrate the technique. It is not difficult. Sometimes a fast lobster will surprise you but they are usually sitting ducks. As far as the kits with the bright orange gloves, and the nets - Its all about preference. Those will work, but its trickier. I believe the noose is much more effective. When done properly I also believe its much less harmful to the lobster should you need to release it.

...... Any pointers you care to share would be appreciated. ....

Anyone will tell you that 'catching' bugs is easy.....

Finding them is the hard part. A tip would be to dive with those boats that consistently post pictures of divers holding up bugs, then dive with them.

Attachments

• DSC00517.jpg
    DSC00517.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 2,706
Thanks for your replies !

NICE ! Johnoly, that is some haul that you've got there. What boat is that ? Save some for us novice. What method do you use ? Snare, net and tickle, or some trade secret you may not care to divulge.

I've read the regulations regarding the spiny lobster. With the little research that I've done, there seems to be 3 types of lobsters in Florida, Spiny, Spanish and Shovel. And the regulations only apply to the spiny. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I've tried my buddies snare. I think it takes quite a bit of practice. I seem to catch him and all of the sudden he kicks out . I guess I need some more practice. There must be 5 different types of snares and 20 different types of bags. From watching the videos, net and tickle "SEEMS" to be easier but I guess I won't know until I try it.

Now only if this weather would cooperate.....

Thanks again !

You most likely wont run into the Spanish or the Slipper, unless you are night diving and looking upside down under rocks. It sounds like to me you have a friend to collect with, so that in itself is a great start! In my opinion you are not getting the noose far enough around the lobster before tightening the noose. You have to bring the noose all the way up to the lobsters rear legs (patiently, all moves require patience #1 do not rush) then, and only then snap the noose shut. Try this next time and see. I bet you miss a lot less. Most misfires on the lobster are either a fast, lucky lobster, or you tightened the noose prematurely. They are quick, but you can be quicker. Keep working at it dont get discouraged you will get better quickly. As far as the net, you may find that its easier, but most dont. They go in one end of the net, and out the other in the blink of an eye, unless you quickly twist the net, which risks damaging the lobster. You really need to be careful doing this. Of course a misplaced snare can break legs too, and that's not good either. True there are many snares, and I have owned everything from one that could be described as a "lobster switchblade, or autosnare" all the way down to what I use now which is the green one. If you get that snare you cant go wrong. Johnoly is absolutely correct, you do have to know where to find them. That does require the real skill, and is probably more important than anything.

The most important aspect of lobstering is to stop, look and think. Lobsters generally won't bolt out of sight when you spot them, so the key is to not spook them Approach slowly, no rapid movements, and watch them for 'body language'. Consider their escape route and try to out-think them. If they have a great hole behind them, then the optimum thing to do is to tickle them from behind to get them to turn their tail away from the hole. If they have no hole to escape to, then it is easier, but what you want to do is direct their escape in such a way that it benefits you! Have your net ready but don't deploy it too early - lobsters have eyes and they can see the net! And remember, lobsters swim backwards, so position your net behind them and out of their sight while you occupy them from the front. Then, when you are positioned, give them a little scare and off they will fly into your waiting net!

A snare works well also, but you need to be in a position that allows you to slip that in behind them, and get them to lift their tail and step over the lower wire so that you can snare the body fully. You need to have the wire up at the top of the tail to really get them.

Finally, try to look for eggs first, and be gentle regardless. Hurting a lobster, ripping antenna off, or otherwise being abusive does no one well, especially if she is a female loaded with eggs for a future lobster season.

Have fun and good luck!

Palm Beach Inlet: Scuba, Oct. 2011 - YouTube

I prefer a net and a tickle stick, but you have to modify the net hoop to be narrow and you want a very shallow net so the bug is easy to remove. Oh yeah, it is good to patch the net before the dive.

fdarden, I'm going to give that a try. Definitely sounds like I need more practice with the snare.

Valaika, great point about looking for eggs first. Are they easy to spot? I've seen them in the videos and they look like a red / orange feather duster on the underside of the female after being caught. Is there a way to tell before you catch her ? Also someone told me that the females sometimes have a blotch of gray cement on their underside. It was explained to me that this blotch is sperm placed on the females belly to fertilize the eggs. Should I put those back as well?

dumpsterDiver, great video ! I grew up jumping off the pump house on the north side of the Palm Beach Inlet in the 80's. You must be the "lobster whisper" because the bugs just sat there barely moving until you got them in the net. Whenever I look at a lobster it just starts running away. You make it look so easy. Tell the truth you left the hole in the net to make it more challenging :wink:. That net you use looks like a lacrosse stick.

Thanks again can't wait to get back in the water.

Last edited:
Valaika, great point about looking for eggs first. Are they easy to spot? I've seen them in the videos and they look like a red / orange feather duster on the underside of the female after being caught. Is there a way to tell before you catch her ? Also someone told me that the females sometimes have a blotch of gray cement on their underside. It was explained to me that this blotch is sperm placed on the females belly to fertilize the eggs. Should I put those back as well?

On the eggs, not always but if you take a few moments to look they can often be spotted before you subject the lobster to any handling. Hence my strong suggestion to be careful and not abusive when catching, cause you sure don't want to hurt momma if she is caring for a brood.

Regarding the gray or black blotch, your information is correct. That is a sperm packet, and it contains a significant amount of sperm cells. As she releases eggs the sperm mixes with the eggs and fertilizes them, so there is no actual copulation involved. The pack is often placed on females who have just molted and is bonded to her new shell as it forms. No, no need to put these back, they taste just fine and dandy!

Have fun!!

I have a snare and a small bag. It goes wth me on every dive where I might see bugs. I generally dont take it on wreck dives. The snare is easy to handle and the bag is not cumbersome at all.

I used to take a net and tickle stick and bag with me, but THAT became cumbersome, hence switching to snare only.

Back
Top Bottom