What is the best method for catching spiny lobsters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John,

Thanks for the info. Could you point me to the page of the regs that states that? I coulnd't find it.

Thanks

Spiny Lobster - Panulirus argus

No person shall harvest or attempt to harvest spiny lobster using any device which will or could puncture, penetrate, or crush the exoskeleton (shell) or the flesh of the lobster

FWC has consistently ruled that any snare that closes fully could crush a lobster tail. That's the purpose of the 3 inch plastic tube around the wire on the loopers. It prevents the looper from being fully closed and prevents the flesh from being crushed. I've been on charter boats and have seen FWC write tickets and confiscate snares that fully close with no open loop. But lots of divers still use them, it's none of my business. Just finding bugs is the hard part, especially if this dang weather won't calm down the seas !!

Thanks for posting that. I found the same thing after I asked you the question. Guess I need to rethink the use of my snare in current condition.

I do find it interesting though that I could not find any specific mention of the "3 inch" plastic tube. Florida fishing rules, in my experience, have always been very objective. As that is not wtitten, that I can find, would one get in trouble if their plastic tube was 2.8 inches, 2.3 inches, etc...

Not trying to be a smart ass, just have not really seen too many fishing laws left open to interpertation as this one is written.

We took advantage of the weather yesterday and snuck out for a two tanker. Good thing, cause today really sucks out there.

From the weather forecast I thought it might be a small window of opportunity to go lobstering. I met a friend down off Datura last night for a beach dive. A solo diver joined us, being the newbie that I am, I ask him what type of equipment he was use to hunt. He pulls out a home made snare and something that looked like a small ping pong paddle and said it was a net. I said how do you catch lobsters with a net that small. He pulls on the handle and BAM !! a full size net unfolds out of nowhere. It turns out to be a holster for a net. The holster was no bigger than a cd ROM in diameter. With it folded away all you see is the handle, no netting exposed, nothing to get tangled. I asked him where he bought it. He said he developed it and has been using it for about a year. He is having it manufactured he hoped to have them by December.

This trip I decided I was going to use the green snare and a tickle stick. So the three of us take off. There was a little south current but not to bad. Close to shore the visibility was horrible but it clear up a little out on the reef. As soon as I drop I see one, set up my snare, loop it around his tail, pull it tight and NOTHING ! I missed him. On to the next one. Same thing except this time I catch him in the snare I go to grab him and he kicks out of the snare. On my 3th attempt, I finally catch one and he is short ! This time I see a spotted lobster, get the snare behind him and all I see is his dust trail down into the swiss cheese. I see two more spotted, same result, nothing . Those guys are a lot faster than the regular spiny . Time for us to head in, I see one more. I finally catch a keeper !

We get to shore and we are greeted by the MAN. He check everything, our license, our gear, and our catch. I caught the one, my friend caught 3 and the other guy had four and eight spotted. After our frisking, I spoke to Ed how he caught the spotted. He said a majority of the time he uses the net to catch lobsters in general . The spotted are near impossible to snare but you can catch them with a net in the open. If the get into a hole he takes his net and squeezes into the swiss cheese hole and tickles the spotted lobster into the net and yanks them out. He carries a snare but uses it as a tickle stick unless the lobster is way deep under a ledge. I told him I hope you get the nets soon because I want one ! He gave me and my friend each a spotted lobster to try, so I'll toss him on the grill tonight. Everyone tells me they are 10 times tastier than the regular spiny.

As a beginner, I find it a lot easier to use a net. Different situations require different methods and different tools. So I think I going to stick with the net but carry the snare just in case. Just got to figure out how to get more practice using the snare. Either way it's a great time.

Here are some pictures of his net and and dinner.
2011-11-18_16-56-54_656.jpg2011-11-18_16-57-45_779.jpg

Attachments

• 2011-11-18_17-19-48_68.jpg
    2011-11-18_17-19-48_68.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 582
I'm in California and our laws are pretty cut and dry...you have to catch them by hand. Period. I would love to be able to use any type of tickle stick or net. To be honest, it sounds more humane because here you learn to grab fast and tight, not always a good thing for bug that is just a hair too small.
And I won't even go into having to dive in 7mm suit and hood. I'd love to get out to Fl and try it your way.

I personally like the net and tickle stick, however I have ran into instances where the lobster get too far back and I can't tickle them out. One trick we actually use to help maximize dive time in shallow water are hunter killer teams with one person snorkeling to find the lobster and one in dive gear to catch the lobster. It works well for us in the 15-20ft depth since the snorkler can spot the lobster and the diver can catch them. We then rotate out the diving responsibilities so that we maximize bottom time for diving. We still dive in buddy teams and keep in sight of each other.

I personally like the net and tickle stick, however I have ran into instances where the lobster get too far back and I can't tickle them out. One trick we actually use to help maximize dive time in shallow water are hunter killer teams with one person snorkeling to find the lobster and one in dive gear to catch the lobster. It works well for us in the 15-20ft depth since the snorkler can spot the lobster and the diver can catch them. We then rotate out the diving responsibilities so that we maximize bottom time for diving. We still dive in buddy teams and keep in sight of each other.

I mostly dive a RB so I can't take any bugs, or anything for that matter. But I am a hell of a spotter. Brother and I do quite well. Now, every once in a while I go OC to try my hand at it........don't seem to spot as many, OH WELL

I just got back from Key West. I had over 30 in 2 days (a few buddys limits for them). I thought the spiny Lobster catching was EASY....EASY....EASY as compared to our Northern Lobster.

They are easier to find, easier to grab - and they are simple to tickle and with about 3 minutes of practice its possible to "convince" them which way to turn and swim when you tickle them out of the hole and then they actually swim right into your bag.

TONS of fun. By the second dive of day 1 - I was measuring and releasing keepers trying to find bigger keepers.

Only downside I saw to the tickle and net technique is that I felt bad when the lobster were undersized and potentially injured in the net. They seem to get their legs, antena, and even tail all mangled in the mesh. I tried to only attempt to tickle large ones - but sometimes the antenna are hige and by the time they are in your net - the actual lobster was small. I probably netted 60 or 70 - and that was with trying to swim past anything that remotely looked small.

Nice job there, neighbor! Way to bring home the bugs!!

California Spiny Lobster only come out at night, we have to use hands only and its cold with 7mm suits.
Florida spiny lobster come out in the day , you get to use tools to catch them and the water is warm.

Why such huge difference in laws... and as of Jan 1. most areas that we catch lobster are going to be illegal to fish at all.
MLPA!

I prefer the snare, and have used it for over 10 years. It isn't hard to carry. I usually make every dive with a snare, catch bag, Riffe Speargun and Flag. Although both hands are used, I'm ready for whatever I find. You can hook the snare on a speargun, so not to lose it and carry all in one hand and the flag handle in the catch bag in your other.
Happy Hunting

Btw, please note the speargun IS NOT for lobster! I know from experience, if I dive with only a gun, I will find lobster and if I dive with only the snare, fish dinner is everywhere!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom