What is the best method for catching spiny lobsters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to take a net and tickle stick and bag with me, but THAT became cumbersome, hence switching to snare only.

Do you prefer a net and tickle stick? I've been mulling it over and I think I'm going to try the net on my next dive. I don't spearfish (next thing to learn on my list) but I've actually seen people net hogfish while lobstering. It's kind of tough but I don't think I can snare a hog. Sweet hog by the way!

Yes the ducks are out hunting the lobster too, that's why you need to keep your eyes peeled for them, too! If they get near the lobster use your integrated "diver-alert" to scare them away! (more jokes!) Anyway, let us know how the net works for you. I would watch a couple videos of netting to see the technique. Also there is an expensive net that you can get - I think its called a Harley, Its about two feet long, and about six inches wide. Its a very shallow net that you basically just flop on top of the bug. Also supposed to be safer for the bug than a standard net.

Do you prefer a net and tickle stick? I've been mulling it over and I think I'm going to try the net on my next dive. I don't spearfish (next thing to learn on my list) but I've actually seen people net hogfish while lobstering. It's kind of tough but I don't think I can snare a hog. Sweet hog by the way!

I prefer the snare. I went a season and a half using the net and was deadly with it. I have also netted hogfish , but you are only really going to be able to do that at night when they are sleeping. I have never been able to get close enough during the day.

If you net a hogfish, you need to be ready for a fight as things are going to get crazy real fast. You need to be able to pin it down in the net and use your fingers to rip out its gills. Obviously, you don't want to be using a knife on a fish while its in the net unless you are willing to buy a new net every time.

So there I am at night with a kicking hogfish in my net (sharks love the vibrations a kicking fish gives off). Followed by lots of blood when I ripped the gills out. (DO I need to say that sharks love the blood also). I have never had a shark encounter while netting hogfish, but my heartbeat is damn sure up while I am doing it.

My decision to switch to the snare came after a frustrating night at Dania Beach. The ledges there are awesome but can be deep. Deep enough in fact that the bugs can go to the back of them, stare right at you while your tickle stick is about 6 inches too short to do anything.

I even thought I heard them laughing at me. :)

Snare resolved that problem. Its longer than a tickle stick and once you have had a little practice, you can snare the lobster out of a deep hole from the front by grabbing the antennae. You have to get the snare all the way down to the base and that aint easy as they dont like stuff touching their antennae, but its possible and I do it all the time.

If you go that route, you need to cut some of the plastic off the looped end of the snare as the plastic prevents the snare from closing enough to securely grab the antennae.

IMO the snare is the best way to go. But there is always more than one way to skin the cat.

Thanks for the plastic trimming tip. That is one I haven't heard yet. I am surprised my dive buddy didn't mention that to me :)

Thanks for the plastic trimming tip. That is one I haven't heard yet. I am surprised my dive buddy didn't mention that to me :)
Because trimming the plastic converts the "looper" into a "snare". Loopers are legal, snares are not.

That said, it is often done. Usually during mini-season is when FWC will check gear and if they find a snare being used, they'll write a ticket and take the snare.

WOW ! Didn't know there was a difference between a looper and a snare.

Sorry to be a pain but when would you say is the best time to go lobstering? Day, night, early morning, evening ?

I'm going to go tomorrow morning. I'll post how I do with the net and tickle.

Thanks again for your replies.

Because trimming the plastic converts the "looper" into a "snare". Loopers are legal, snares are not.

That said, it is often done. Usually during mini-season is when FWC will check gear and if they find a snare being used, they'll write a ticket and take the snare.

John,

Thanks for the info. Could you point me to the page of the regs that states that? I coulnd't find it.

Thanks

Hey everyone,

Went diving Friday morning and caught 4 keepers and about 10 shorts, no egg bearing females. I really think the net is a lot easier to use than the snare. I caught 3 at in one swoop but two were shorts. The tickle stick is key. As long as you can coax them out of their hole you pretty much have them. I did have to chase one about 50 ft. I'm not giving up on the snare thing because the net is definitely a pain to carry because it gets tangled in my rig when I clip it on during descending and ascending . But I really like the net. Next dive I'm trying the snare.

Thanks for all of your replies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom