What is the best way to carry all the gear??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EFB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Last night at our first OW class, I realised exactly how much stuff there is. They gave us a bag with the BCD, octopus, wet suit, fins, mask and snorkel and that went on my back. I put the weight belt over my arm (and I am sure that wasn't so smart) and I struggled as to how to carry the tank.

What's the best and safest way to carry the weight belt and tank?
I guess I should have been watching what the pros were doing...I saw trainees almost push the tank along (which I thought was a horrible idea), some carry it from the bottom and some holding on to the top.

TIA
TIA

Most people carry tanks by the valve. Sometimes throwing it onto your shoulder helps with the weight.

There are bags on the market designed just for weights. These tend to keep the weights together even during the off season.

I use a mesh roller bag for my fins, BC, and regulator.

I have a shoulder mesh bag with a LARGE mouth for my booties, wetsuit, mask, etc

You will work out what is best for you. I highly suggest you go with some sort of mesh for drying purposes. If you use mesh and do not LEAVE your gear in the bag for long periods, you will practically eliminate odor.

The easiest way to carry the tank is to attach it to the BC and wear your BC (and the tank) on your back.

Easiest way to carry the weight belt is around your hips.

The bag with the rest of the gear hangs off one shoulder.

If you carry the tank by the valve, be sure that the valve orifice point away from your palm. Otherwise, you could end up with a high-pressure injection injury to your palm if you accidentally bump the valve into the "on" position.

Last edited:
Just a note. Never wear your weight belt around on a boat without a functioning bcd. Otherwise you might find yourself on a very quick trip to the bottom of the ocean or lake.

For transportation locally, I put all of my stuff except the weights in a big tote. My weights I carry on a weight belt.

If you have a backpack style mesh bag it may be easier to carry the tank in your arms. Keep the center mass in your elbows, hands pointed up and free.
The backpack mesh bag then goes on your back and the weights go on your hips. If the weights dig in to much you can sling it like a bandolier.

If you have a tote/duffel style mesh bag then Doc Harry's method would be perfect. The only issue would be throwing a tank and BC in the trunk of your car when they're connected. There's a chance that the tank can cause unnecessary wear on the BC when you're driving.

If you have to carry 2 tanks then make multiple trips.
- One tank with gear on the first trip.
OR
- 2 tanks first trip; hold the valves with the orifice facing away from the palms.
(reason for this is it's really easy to slip and turn the valve on when it's pointing into your palm. Doing this can give you can air embolism.)
- gear second trip

I put the BC on the tank and the tank, secured with a bungee cord, on a dolly . Everything else goes in a mesh backpack (Stahlsac Panama).

A big dive Toter like the Stanley job box, and then throw a sta on top to hold tanks, works well for local diving not so much for air travel

Just a note. Never wear your weight belt around on a boat without a functioning bcd. Otherwise you might find yourself on a very quick trip to the bottom of the ocean or lake.
That depends on whether or not you also have your exposure suit on, and whether or not you're overweighted.

My methods:
For boat dives: Everything but weights/tank in it (if you use your own)--exposure suit if it fits. Hold tank by valve & aim the opening away from you. Weights all together in a big mesh bag.

Gearing up from car: leave all stuff loose, secure tank for travel. Take a big plastic bin to put wet stuff in after dives. Plastic to cover car (trunk) area to keep dry.

Walking to shore site: As mentioned-use a dolly with lock & chain for it. If not too far a walk, as mentioned, wear the unit--keeps all sand out of reg. If long walk, get younger.

or easier still..get someone else to carry it all for you....JUST KIDDING!!!

Make more than one trip simple :)

Back
Top Bottom