What is the lightest STA available?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JimLap:
Get a DSS single wing. Don't an STA

Somehow, I don't think that's the solution ole Jess is askin' for... even though it might work. 'Course he would have to have a DSS plate, too.

*Floater*:
Take a look:
oxy_STA.jpg

Positives:
- High quality stainless steel. It'll last forever.
- Low profile, places tank closer to back which is good for stability.
- Comes with wingnuts and bolts with square bases to fit the square holes on the STA so the wingnuts are easy to tighten (or the DSS thumbwheels I use instead).

Neutral:
- 0.9 lbs: perfect for some, too heavy or too light for others.

Negatives:
- only two sets of slots for cam straps, and the top slot was too high for my and my gf's preference, so we don't use it, we place the top cam strap just underneath the middle of the STA.

I sell and use these all the time with no issues. The profile is so low you really don't realize what you are diving it...It's amazing.

There is also a soft sta available but have not tried it.

Ron

Stephen Ash:
Just curious... but what are you guys doin' that requires an STA that is less than 2# negative. Steel tanks? Diving without exposure protection?

I guess I am just that dense :)

Fresh water, 3mm wetsuit, aluminum 80, aluminum BP (2#), 2 piece STA (2#) and ss cam buckles (1#) and I feel like I could stand to lose a little weight :) I know it can't be much, I am actually going to get some delrin cam buckles first and see if that does the trick. Of course I know that I am just being anal :)

Kracken- Can you get me a price and some pictures on your aluminum STA?

~Jess

JessH:
I know it can't be much, I am actually going to get some delrin cam buckles first

You are going to have a hard time finding delrin (acetal) cam buckles, glass filled nylon is what is most often used. Might save you a little time looking.

Tobin

mjwallink:
www.agir-brokk.com

They make the STA in two parts, so it's very light.
Anyone know of any US dealers of agir-brokk? They have a 2piece aluminum sta that looks interesting. I don't see how it can weigh much of anything. Looks like it can be had online for $20, but that is coming from another country and shipping is $28!

~Jess

JessH:
Anyone know of any US dealers of agir-brokk? They have a 2piece aluminum sta that looks interesting. I don't see how it can weigh much of anything. Looks like it can be had online for $20, but that is coming from another country.

~Jess

http://www.salvodiving.com/

We carry them, too, but I don't think we have the 2 piece in stock.

I should add... swapping out cylinders is not nearly as easy with the 2 piece as it is with the one piece.

All of my buds that have used the 2 piece have switched over to the standard STA for just that reason.

Slightly off-topic...

Stephen, do you mean changing tanks between dives, or moving from singles to doubles?

Kelsey

Changing out a used single for a full one between dives. A one piece standard STA makes this a snap. You have to futz with the 2 piece a little... sometimes. Not a big deal, but...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom