What is the oddest thing you've found on the bottom of the ocean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A dive buddy in NH tells the story of diving a local bay in a large freshwater lake. The remnants of an old sleigh were known to be in the bay (having fallen through the ice may years ago). Diver wanted found portions of the reins, and wondered if the sleigh bells were still under the silt, so he followed them, and was shocked to pull up the horse's skull, with the bit & reins still there.

Once, in the same lake, I happened upon what looked like a scuba tank lying in the silt. First thought: Oh no, what happened to the diver. Rolled it over and saw it was an old-school fire extinguisher canister with the embossed lettering.

This year, I found an old mask (minus the glass). Weirdest find this year: An old-school steel hair curler, and a Motorola "brick" phone.

Based on old newspaper clippings, a friend found a car that went through the ice in 1937. It was newsworthy back then because the driver perished. He'd been looking for it for years, and I'd always brushed it off as a waste of time, thinking there would be nothing left. So when he took me to it a few years ago, I was blown away by its remarkable condition. Since then, others have found it and trashed it.

CDNScubaMoose:
Down rigger ball attached to the rest of the down-rigger (had to follow the line to find the rest). I would love to hear the fishing story about the catch that pulled that off the boat.

Ha! I found the same thing last year -- in about 40' of water in Lake Winnipesaukee. A new set of downrigger balls with lots of line attached -- wedged in the rocks. I followed the line and eventually found a full (broken) downrigger.

That dude must've thought he had a monster on the line.

Some day, I'll look there again and see if I can retrieve the balls, anyway. It would be worthwhile salvaging the lead.

After the tsunami that hit on Boxer Day we did some clean up dives in the islands of Phuket and there was everything underwater including water heaters, mattresses, coffee pots, quilts, ply wood and tin shfeets, scuba gear, compressor, and more. One of the ladies found a wallet that we later found to contain around $400 USD in Thai Baht. We donated it to one of the island collections. That was a remarkable day of diving.

In Aruba I found some FUBU Ghetto Jeans and wore them the remainder of the dive! Looked like a white PDiddy, Sean Puffy Combs with a scuba tank...The fish were confused.

Found a catfish struggling to swim attached to a nice-sized lead weight on about 18" of line. It would take off for the deck of the wreck, almost get there, and plummet back down. I signaled my buddy that I was going to catch it, and I managed to drift close enough to grab the weight during a moment of fishy resting.

We walked my "pet catfish" around the wreck so the divers with cameras could all get their shots, and then we went up to the top where a group of beginner divers were with their instructor. The looks on their faces when they saw me fin by with a pet fish on a leash were priceless, and I can imagine what fun they must have had telling their dryland friends about "the guy walking the pet catfish on a leash"...

Of course, if you count plain old unadulterated sea life, I'd have to say that the oddest, freakiest, what-in-the-*WORLD*-was-that-est thing I've ever seen was a flying gurnard. It was mostly buried in the sand, but we apparently looked at it too much and spooked it. It took off, swam a few feet, landed, and started walking on little spindly "legs". I got a few strange looks when I asked people what it was. (Looks like a fish, but it's got foldable "wings" like a bird, and it has these little legs and walks like a crab.)

Mantaman that is a great story. You should write up an article for one of the dive mags and send it in. I would love to read the whole story.

And Curly.........in general its always a good idea to retrieve your balls.

Happy Diving

ClayJar:
Found a catfish struggling to swim attached to a nice-sized lead weight on about 18" of line. It would take off for the deck of the wreck, almost get there, and plummet back down. I signaled my buddy that I was going to catch it, and I managed to drift close enough to grab the weight during a moment of fishy resting.

We walked my "pet catfish" around the wreck so the divers with cameras could all get their shots, and then we went up to the top where a group of beginner divers were with their instructor. The looks on their faces when they saw me fin by with a pet fish on a leash were priceless, and I can imagine what fun they must have had telling their dryland friends about "the guy walking the pet catfish on a leash"...

Did you remove the weight/line, so it could go free?

erparamedic:
Did you remove the weight/line, so it could go free?
Yes, indeed. The poor fish had gone through enough. The fact that I got to come up with a souvenir was lagniappe. :D

..............sand

Back
Top Bottom