What is the Proper Location for BP Waist Strap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rocketmahn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking at moving to a BP&W this season.

I dive dry with single 130's with a 19 cuft Pony back mounted. I also have additional weights in my BC.

Needless to say the worst part of the dive is the trudge to/from the water carrying all of that load!

The BC straps really put pressure on my shoulder/neck muscles such that sometimes I have a dull headache before I ever get into the water.

The BC waist strap/cumber-bum wraps around my midsection about at my navel.
I just had a DiveRite Factory Rep size me and he had the XL Tall waist strap located in the same place.

In my younger days I did a fair amount of backpacking.
We usually had the waist straps such that they wrapped around our abdomens slightly lower than our navel and actually tighten up around the pelvic/hip bones.

Most of the pack weight was then borne by the pelvic/hip skeletal structure and the shoulder straps were to provide stability to the pack. You could walk for hours in comfort.

Where my BC waist strap is now, when I tighten it, it's harder to breath!

So my questions are:
Where is the BP waist strap suppose to be located - around your belly or around your pelvic bones?

Can it be load bearing on the hips when out of the water? (Like a backpacK?)

My guess is that most everyone carries the load on their shoulder straps and toughs it out.

Thanks!

Great question. I just got into a BP/W setup and have always felt that the waist strap rides to high on me. My strap goes across my navel similar to your but I thought it was because I was a taller person than most (6'-4").

The waist strap is around the belly button area. Maybe a hair lower, maybe a hair higher, but definitely around the belly button area.

If you want to have a BC that carries the weight similarly to a backpack then go with the Dive Rite Transpac. I'm surprised that your Dive Rite rep didn't tell you this. Dive Rite invented the Transpac after they got tired of lugging heavy rigs up & down hills and through caves' footpaths.

I did try on the Dive Rite XL "Tall" Transpac.
But it still buckled around my midsection (but lower than the XL).
I'm 6'2", but have a long torso.

I know that DeepSeaSupply makes a couple of really long plates.

But what I want to know is where the waist belt is "suppose" to fit.
Ideally I think that it should fit on the hips.

When I used to dive a harness in the 70's the waist belt fit around my midsection. When I reached the bottom I would tighten the belt because the wetsuit (and my belly) had compressed and it was loose. The only problem was when you "ascended" you were automatically reminded to loosen it by the resulting "gut" squeeze!

My thought is that if the waist belt fit around the pelvic/hip bone the effects of the squeeze would be much less AND the tank load would not be on your shoulders.

Waist strap should be pulled lower by the crotch strap.

Link

Except, he doesn't have his waist strap pulled down much. I have mine pulled slightly further down.

Key: dive what works best for you. Don't copy other people unless it makes sense. :D

JahJah - Thanks for the link.
I forgot about the crotch strap.

His harness looks painful on the shoulders as most of the weight will be borne by his shoulder straps.
For boat diving it's fine but if you have to carry your stuff very far it could be a "pain"!

Key: dive what works best for you. Don't copy other people unless it makes sense. :D

My instructor gave me very similar advise during our conversation on the day I signed up for OW.I've found it very helpful in the many decisions since.

At your waist.
Where it doesn't constrict your breathing.

the K

It depends on the shape of your torso. Around the waist is ideal for most.

close to my naval, I guess, you tell me where.......btw, some people can't find their pelvic area due to their belly
bp-w.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom