What is your max depth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

100 feet while training with Pipin in 2003, did a 50 meter dynamic apnea with fins earlier this summer very comfortably. Now I mainly focus on recreational depths up to about 20 meters shooting video while freediving.

John C. Ratliff:
I'm a little concerned when people gauge their performance by how long they can stay down, or how deep they can go. By continuing to push the limits, at one point or another that limit may be reached, and SWB could be at that point.

I enjoy freediving not for the depth, or time I can stay down, but from what I can see that scuba divers cannot. .....clipped That's why I freedive, and not to set any record or do a "personal best."

SeaRat

yeah. that.. that's why I spend 95% of my freediving in less than 20' of water.. it's pretty rare I get to drop down the line with good support. here, most of the fish and stuff to see are in 6' of water anyway.. but that "personal best" is always calling me...just like the fish in 6' of water are always calling me.. what to do? what to do?

The ice is getting thick now :( have to start bringing the chain saw along or traveling to warmer climates.

I used to work on a NC dive boat and I was out of diving for two days one time with a severly bruised hand.... well, during the customer's surface interval I had nothing to do but snorkel around the boat and do some free diving/spearfishing. On the 2nd day I decided to pull myself down the anchor line (with one hand)... before I knew it I was standing on the deck of the U-352 (110 fsw). On my way back up, during the last 20 feet I thought I was going to pass out and drown! It scared me so much that I haven't been past 50 feet since.

Then you exceeded your limits - proper freedive training wold have instilled in you to monitor your physical processes during the dive - this is a huge reason for freedive instruction - too many people go out thinking that because they have an OW cert that they now can freedive.

You experienced the greatest pressure change literally sucking O2 from your blood stream - it's a miracle you are still alive. Don't think that diving to 50 feet is any safer - get some training and a Suunto D3 freedive computer - it will probably save your life.

I am not a big fan of dive computer for freediving...
Only if you are not checking on it too often...
You should not freedive like you dive... OK, I am used to do 3 minutes, it's only 1'30, my lungs burn but I will stay 1 more minute ..... THAT IS STUPID...
Safe freedive is done when listening to your body...
my 0.02

Many many trips past mfs netural belt 80+, a few 100+,1 to 120ish, 92ft mfs no weight,personal best 119 MFS netural weightbelt and brought up a 15 lb weight belt with me.
Lots of 60-80ft while spearfishing.

i went to 150 feet once, without fins

I went 14.5 m (speedo, diving fins and mask) during a surface interval. I had no trainning and no clue that i could do it... my gekko was really upset!
I realize now that it was not really safe and smart (my GF was at the surface looking at me).
When i decided that it was time to go up, I saw 4 eagles ray in circle 10m from me, it was magical!
I course is scheduled in my club in january, i'll do it.

A freedive computer like a D3 is very valuable in my opinion.

Most people that comment that they don't like them have not used one for a day of freediving. It's just a tool that provides accurate information, and then the diver makes decisions based on input from all sources.

Most divers feel fine to dive again after about a minute of SI, but with a D3 I know to wait at least 2 times my last BT, 3 times if it'll be a deep or taxing dive, so I usually spend 3 to 4 minutes on SI to properly oxygenate.

Once in a while I have forgotten to wear my D3 and hate having no accurate way to judge SI, depth and BT.

It's also nice to know the water temp, and the dive history for the day.

Chad

Back
Top Bottom