What is your warmest 7mm wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Xcel 8765 is my first hooded fullsuit, but I think I can say it's warmer than the 7mm O'Neill 7000 that I had previously, also a little thicker and floatier. And fairly cheap. Based on comparison with a merino-lined Pinnacle Polar 7/5 I have that's too big, I'd bet their thicker suits with the merino are pretty warm too. I'd say lower 50s is about the limit for a 7mm fullsuit, depending on personal tolerance and dive duration. If you have to go to a farmer john or extra layers, why not get a drysuit? That seems simpler to me, less restrictive, as well as warmer, and no more expensive (neoprene drysuit) than multiple layers of wetsuit.

IMHO a wetsuit is not for serious cold water unless it is "semi-dry" (i.e., real gaskets inside the sleeves, legs, and neck, and a drysuit style zipper). No amount of neoprene will keep you warm if you're flushing water. My AquaLung SolAfx 8/7 hooded jumpsuit is OK for me down to about 45 deg F.
Remember also that heavy neoprene that fits properly will require some effort to doff and don. The stretch material in the SolAfx works for me, and I suppose full-length sleeve and leg zippers on a non-stretch suit might also be OK. A small trigger-spray bottle with a very dilute baby-shampoo solution always helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom