what kind of diver are you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My diving career started in Scotland but after 33 years in the Middle East I'm acclimatised to warmer water these days.

Like @Diving Dubai says cold water i.e. 23C and we don our drysuits. As you get older it's no fun being cold, especially when wearing wet neoprene on a fast boat heading back to the marina after a 60+min dive.

My buddy and I prefer the warmth of a drysuit

full.jpg

18/20C is not nice you're being silly
I'm rather often quite silly, but I was not being silly in the post you're referring to.

10’ visibility in LI sound is a good day, can be 1 or 2’ or great at 15’

I know what you mean Oly, September thru March the visibility of Long Island Sound is about 10 to 15 feet, it's as clear as it gets. When summer comes around the vis is about 2 to 4 feet, it sucks!

Atlantic coast from rhode island up to Maine is mostly 10 - 15 ft. in January February it clears up a little as there's less plankton. might get 30 foot viz

I've found the dives in March and April to have better vis if you don't mind the possibility of 2C / 36F temperatures lol. Even with a dry suit the lips get a bit numb. I don't dive here in Jan or Feb as shore access can be tricky. I hope to dive in Maine and further south once the boarders open up again.

W.W.P.F.
<*}}))))><
.... .. .....__[:]@

I guess I'm I just a vacation diver since there are no great places to dive in Atlanta other than the Chattahoochee River or some stagnant quarry. Only certified a couple years now, I was an avid snorkeler before and after turning sixty decided snow skiing was to high impact a sport to continue at my age.
I had big plans of diving weekends in Florida after getting my AOW, but the Covid dilemma has put a serious damper on those plans........
We do travel to Puerto Rico every year (sometimes twice a year) and Santa Barbara, California and both have excellent diving! Was diving in October in PR and will return in June.

I guess I'm I just a vacation diver since there are no great places to dive in Atlanta other than the Chattahoochee River or some stagnant quarry.
Ehhhh...there are a handful of places within two or two-and-a-half hours of tha ATL. There's Kraken Springs, Dive Land, Blue Water, Loch Low-Minn...and I know a guy who loves diving the Etowah River. I've never bothered with Lake Lanier, though; it's reputed to be a mudhole.

I used to have a dive shop and compressor in my garage. I dove 3 to 4 days a week in the local reservoirs.

Maintaining all that stuff got to be too much work. I sold off all the equipment, and now I am just a vacation diver. Once or twice a year.

This year we went to Cozumel in March and August.

Crusty old diver ... coming up on 20 years and 4200 dives. Spent most of those in Puget Sound, where I taught scuba for 12 years. Retired a couple years ago and moved to Loreto, BCS, on the shores of the Sea of Cortez. I thought I'd be a warm water diver, but that only applies to the summer months. Water temps are down into the mid to low 70's right now, and by March will be in the mid to low 60's. But the diving here's pretty good. I don't get out as much as I used to ... only about 70 dives this year. But I'm pushing 70 myself, and hope to be diving for a few more years yet. Just returned from my third trip to the Socorros since moving here. That's some pretty phenomenal diving ... and I don't have to get on an airplane to get to Cabo to head out there. So there is that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom