What kind of weights used with BP/wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DazedAndConfuzed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

My back-inflate BC was getting little parts break here and there, so I got a harness BC as a replacement. I use it mainly for warm water trips.

Given it is adjustable, I got it sized so my wife could use it on our last trip since she complain about her back-inflate BC being hard to put on (and sometimes giving her the squeeze because the bladder is not a separate unit). On the trip, it was a pain to constantly thread on weights on the weight belt, especially fine tuning the position and putting the twists on the belt so the weights don't slide around, and it was an extra thing for her to put on.

Do BP/wing wearers just use weight belts or do they strap weight pockets onto the harness' belt. I was looking to put some weight pocket on the BC, first by disassembling my existing BC and moving the weight pockets over (it's modular, so the pockets comes off), but its an old system that holds back the weight via velcros, so accidental weight release could occur. So I looked around to get weight pockets, and most of them seems primitive compared to what's on today's BCs. Their dump system is held back either by velcro or clips that I have to unclip. Some don't have inner pouches. Most seem to be a big square'ish pocket in which I don't know how weights don't move around if it it is not fully loaded. And the squarish size implies they will ride high, reaching up to the ribcage (how will they go around the spare tire).

Anyway, what is the most common or practical weight pocket add-ons, when only 4-10 LB of weights need to go in them. I do see they have larger weight pockets where I can load up weights when diving in colder water, but I don't want to dive with giant weight pockets the whole time.

You can get weight pockets that thread onto waist belt and/or cam bands (tank straps), depending on how much weight one needs to carry.

Hi,
Anyway, what is the most common or practical weight pocket add-ons, when only 4-10 LB of weights need to go in them. I do see they have larger weight pockets where I can load up weights when diving in colder water, but I don't want to dive with giant weight pockets the whole time.

2 of these on the rear of the waist strap, one on each side against the BP hold up to 5 lbs. each or 10 lbs total:

You won't notice them wether they are full or empty.

XSSTW.JPG

XS Scuba Single Weight Pocket

$8.00

@ LeisurePro

Last edited:
I like these BP/W Weight Pockets
They attach to the backplate (if you have a hole there) and the harness just threads through. It does not get in the way of adjustment.
lg_1505592964.jpe

The other option is THIS It threads through the top and waistband. It holds the weight secure without interfering with the harness adjustment.

I hope that helps.

Disclosure: I own Scubatude, the shop I have linked to.

There are also quick release pockets that mount on the waist strap. I have a set of Halcyon pocket I bought used off this site. They take up quiet a bit of space though. My goto rig just has the Velcro pockets listed above but they let the weights flop around a bit. I have never lost a 2 pound weight though. I did pick up some cell phone holders on clearance with elastic sides that actually work perfect with a 2 pound weight. No movement of the weight in the pocket at all. The plastic clip on them makes them easy to put on anywhere and they stay secure.

Dive Rite Quick Buckle Weight System

Lots of options.

Jay

I got some weight pockets for the cam band on my existing BC, so I can move those over.

I saw the IST weight pockets, they still utilize buckles that you have to squeeze to release, which I don't know feasible it is if they are mounted toward the side and one is wearing 5mm gloves. Practically every BC out there utilizes pull to release weights that is foolproof to accidental release. It is almost impossible to find comparable ones to integrate into harness BCs (without spending quite a bit more, like the Dive Rite, and that doesn't even have the 3rd gen rear clip fancy systems I see on BCs).

Regarding the IST pockets, how does single or small weights sit in its place without them sliding around? Is the inside of the inner pouch lined with velcro?

Traditional BCs are different in many ways from BP/Ws. The squeeze release system is really the standard on the BP/W, and it is a more technical mindset and a much more positive release system. It can not get pulled out without unclipping.

No Velcro in the pockets. You buy the pockets that are the right size for your requirements so they don't slide around too much. :)

I don't even know if the squeeze release system is standard, since on some weight pockets, its a handle strap that seem to undo some velcro, which I thought the rest of the world moved away from that 20 yrs ago. I currently use a 2 step release process, since my weight pocket's worn out velcro closure is prone to self-release, I've added a buckle clip to the D-ring attached to the inner weight pocket.

I also thought about the IST 15LB weight pocket, where I can use it for both cold and warm water diving. But if weight slides around, then it it is not possible to use that as a all purpose pocket.

I wear the same ordinary type of weight belt I've worn for thirty years. For a very short time I had a "tech" BCD with weight pockets. After losing a pocket or two I switched to a backplate and went back to a weight belt.

Back
Top Bottom