What kind of weights used with BP/wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 small trim weight pockets on the lower tank camband and another 2 on the waist belt. The pockets have a 2" loop at the back for the webbing. I've cut two vertical slits in each of these and thread the webbing through a tri-glide to hold it in place.

I use a weightbelt and have the XS pockets on the cam bands, then limit the weight on the belt to around 10#, which is easy to manage.

Bob

None of the above.

Get a Mako rubber weight belt with pinch weights. My 2 cents.

Thanks for the recommendation. Our pinch weights combined with a rubber belt are extremely stable and automatically compensated for wetsuit compression. The rubber also tends to grip the body so it will not slide around or fall down.

Freedivers need to be very meticulous in their weighting because they have no BC, and being too light makes it hard to get down and being too heavy is even worse - because it makes it hard to ascend back to the safety of the surface. Freedivers will often adjust their ballast depending on depth. For very shallow diving 25 feet or so, there is only a moderate amount of suit and chest compression - so a little more lead can be worn. For dives over 60 or 90 feet, less lead is worn because the freediver will be quite heavy when coming off the bottom...

We have a ballast option that facilitates super fast and simple adjustment of the lead and it does NOT involve sliding weights on or off the belt.

Quick Weights | MAKO Spearguns

I have a question.... I’m assuming you are using aluminum tanks? You mentioned warm water dives. Do you wear any exposure protection?

A lot of people that use harness and wing are using steel tanks. A steel tank can drop about 6lbs vs an aluminum tank depending on tank. Also the backplate a stainless plate is heavier than an aluminum plate. By mixing and matching you can eliminate dumpable weights.

However since you are trying to have system both you or your wife can use, figure boyancy for her then add tank or trim weight for you.

This does eliminate dumpable weight and it is recommended to have redundant BC either dual bladder or BC and drysuit etc. in a tec configuration you are required to have a lift bag Incase you have a lift problem. Please consider your training level and redundancy before eliminating dumpable weight.

With the mako rubber weight belt & pinch weights, all I have to do is bring all the weights with me on the flights.

Due to having to have out gear checked in on flight and trying to limit out combined gear to 50 LB, I got a BP that is made out of aluminum. I use whatever tank they have (usually alum), and adjust my weight appropriately. I frequently don't use floats with my camera and it becomes quite negatively buoyant, thus I think I had dives when I used only 4# of weights. I usually wear 3mm, and my wife will alternate between 3mm, 3mm shortie and layering both, all on the same day.

I only shared this BC with her because I didn't have time to switch over and test my octo/inflator. Neither did I have time to switch over her quacker, but I just switch over my shaker to her BC. We are not going to bring 3 BCs on trips and take turn using this one, one of us will use this permanently and, depending if she liked it enough and/or if I want to keep my well worn BC going with elbow grease....or get another of the same, depending on the weight system situation.

With the mako rubber weight belt & pinch weights, all I have to do is bring all the weights with me on the flights.

Due to having to have out gear checked in on flight and trying to limit out combined gear to 50 LB, I got a BP that is made out of aluminum. I use whatever tank they have (usually alum), and adjust my weight appropriately. I frequently don't use floats with my camera and it becomes quite negatively buoyant, thus I think I had dives when I used only 4# of weights. I usually wear 3mm, and my wife will alternate between 3mm, 3mm shortie and layering both, all on the same day.

I only shared this BC with her because I didn't have time to switch over and test my octo/inflator. Neither did I have time to switch over her quacker, but I just switch over my shaker to her BC. We are not going to bring 3 BCs on trips and take turn using this one, one of us will use this permanently and, depending if she liked it enough and/or if I want to keep my well worn BC going with elbow grease....or get another of the same, depending on the weight system situation.

It's not practical to pack weights with you when flying. Look at weight pockets or a normal weight belt.

It's not practical to pack weights with you when flying. Look at weight pockets or a normal weight belt.

The MAKO Rubber belt is compatible with standard hard lead. Carrying one or two quick weights in the luggage may make sense if you want the quick change capacity.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

I don't trust you...
HAHA! I guess that is a little strong. Don't trust me, you have no reason to. However, the belt is well built and served the function described very well for me. Mako has a great belt and it is my primary at home. On travel I have seen some funky weights that are better off shoved in pockets than threaded (or not if slots are too small).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom