What log book to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I first started diving, I used to draw pictures in my log book of all of the critters to help with the ID, as if I was Darwin logging new species. The page might be filled with a dozen drawings

Don't do that anymore, unless its something Ive never seen before. Now its generally basic diving information, and a list of the fish.

I wish I was still that geeked up about diving. I may commit myself to drawing just one fish per dive, to at least make the effort.

When I first started diving, I used to draw pictures in my log book of all of the critters to help with the ID, as if I was Darwin logging new species. The page might be filled with a dozen drawings

Don't do that anymore, unless its something Ive never seen before. Now its generally basic diving information, and a list of the fish.

I think this makes for a very special logbook. Nice job @Chavodel8en

I started a thread yesterday (which now seems appropriate in this thread) just to share information about a newer feature in the Dive Log DT software, and accompanying mobile app, that allows the user to either drag in pictures they took or from elsewhere, with fields to fill in for the taxonomy. You can create a database of marine life and/or attach the pictures you want to a particular dive.

So now after I download dives from my dive computer onto my MacBook, I can add pictures I took of something special to me to the dive entry. Once I transfer the new dive info to my phone or iPad, I have an easy way to show pictures to others.

Logbooks are very personal and as such go from one end of the spectrum to the other. Logbooks are required for very little these days so the "requirement" of having a logbook is pretty much gone to the days of yore. There are a few specifics situations that make a logbook nice to have, memories or a specific requirement. Case in point, I have just started a new logbook independent of my electronic logbook that logs my full cave dives. This is not necessary in order to do the dives, but cave diving has specific awards for dive numbers. So my new book will be my "Abe Davis" book and will be easily handed over when the time comes. Logbooks are a lot like diving, you do you.

Logbook.JPG

Attachments

• Logbook.JPG
    Logbook.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 36

I wish I was still that geeked up about diving. I may commit myself to drawing just one fish per dive, to at least make the effort.
I still draw the occasional shell or fish that I find locally. You'd think I'd know all the names by now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom