What makes a 2nd stage better than an octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I use the same model 2nd stage as my octo (two G250's on my Mk10 that I dive as my main regulator). If I have to switch to the "octo" under some of the conditions I dive, I want to be certain it will function as well as the main 2nd stage. For shallow dives that one plans to abort if such a switch is made, this is not as critical.

I agree with many others who have already posted here. The best choice for an additional second stage is one equivalent to your primary.

I don't care what you call it...
Back-Up second stage
Octopus
Alternate Air Source
Safe Second

The purpose of this additional second stage is for either another diver to breathe from your cylinder without the need for buddy breathing, or for you to use if your primary second stage should fail.

Whatever you get you should test it on every dive for at least a few breaths during your dive. You should also consider that if you do need it during an emergency situation you or your buddy will want a high quality regulator that is capable of delivering as much air as you need. You may be stressed and breathing hard so getting a cheap one just does not make sense to me.

Mark Vlahos

Fish_Whisperer:
The question was confusing me... :confused:
For our next question, what makes an automobile better than a station wagon? :eyebrow:

(Just kidding Miguel... you already got pretty good advice on this one, and the terminology can definately be confusing.)

Thanks, fellows.
The question came from finding this second stage labeled "Octopus" (marketing trend name) with its air hose inlet on the right side. ¿?
Miguel :11doh:

I used to use my mares rebel octo as first stage, because it always free flows (long story and mares does not help). When I am angree with the free flow troubles I use it as regulator. I don't see any difference to a normal rebel beside the different color.

Oh as for me, i dive with both regulators.
I like switching my primary & octo, once in a while. So i am sure the octo is in good working condition when i really need it in an emergency........ :D

Be safe than SORRY...:blinking:

I have five matching second stages for two matching 1st stages. Just a little adjustment from Primary to second. Real easy to carry a spare.

don O

Miguel, with a regulator in your mouth the hose should exit from the right hand side. Some regulators are reversible (Apeks XTX) so that you can mount the hose on either side for better hose routing. I am not sure what you are looking at but I suspect the regulator you are questioning is meant to be mounted on a low pressure BC inflator hose so the hose routing is reversed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom