What makes a DIR buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
As far as I know nobody has ever asked this question. So let's get it in the open:

What makes someone a DIR buddy?

Which protocols?
Which behaviours or patterns of behaviour?
Which standing orders?
Which specific skills?
Hand signals?
Light signals?
Do's
Don'ts

etc. etc.

I asked a similar question on the Hogarthian forum too so if DIR divers would like to check in that that thread I'd appreciate that too.

R..

Hey great question.

Lets put specific practices and skills aside and get to the root.

For me it’s an attitude towards safety that puts safety foremost.

Beyond that team skills including communication and an awareness of what’s going on in the water… with the buddy, with the general environment and with our gear.

The question itself embodies a misunderstanding of DIR.

There is no such thing as a *DIR buddy*.

There is the Team and there are the Team Members.

A better question would be: What makes a DIR Team?

Yeah, and "team" is definitely more macho. Why not leave semantics to the librarians and rhetoritians and answer the question?

At the risk of opening a can of worms I'll mention that I noticed you didn't ask whom they were trained by. I'm not making a point; I'm stating an interesting observation given that there is now more that one organization teaching "DIR".

It's not semantics. It's not just about the team, it's all about the team. The team does the planning. How does an individuals equipment choice affect the team? How does attitude affect the team? How does health affect the team? What are the protocols for the team?

It's about the team.

Uncle Pug:
What makes a DIR Team?

sigh.... If that's what it takes to get the discussion going:

What makes someone a proper member of a DIR team (referred to colloquially in some circles as a buddy) ?

Which team protocols apply to all individuals in the team?
Which behaviors or patterns of behavior common to all members of a team?
Which standing orders among individuals in the team?
Which specific skills among DIR team members?
Hand signals shared by all members of a DIR team?
Light signals shared by all members of a DIR team?
Do's common to individuals diving in a DIR team
Don'ts commonly accepted among individuals diving in a DIR team

etc. etc.

The intention is draw out what people know to be specific responsibilities, actions, characteristics and skills required of individuals who participate as a member of a DIR team.

Please don't make me jump through the semantics hoop twice. If you still don't feel I've done a good enough job of posing the question, feel free to reword it for me. I think people are more interested in answers than arguments.

R..

onfloat:
It's not semantics. It's not just about the team, it's all about the team. The team does the planning. How does an individuals equipment choice affect the team? How does attitude affect the team? How health affect the team? What are the protocols for the team?

It's about the team.

A team is made up of individuals. It has no capabilities beyond what people bring to the table.

So within a team, what is expected of individuals.

Work with me here.

R..

SeanQ:
At the risk of opening a can of worms I'll mention that I noticed you didn't ask whom they were trained by. I'm not making a point; I'm stating an interesting observation given that there is now more that one organization teaching "DIR".

This is potentially a very interesting point in itself. If you don't mind I'd like to park this until a few people answer the original question first....

R..

From my GUE training, I have come to a simple conclusion that a DIR buddy is someone who is entirely on the same page with me… is aware at all times of my “status” underwater., knows how much gas I have, what equipment I have (working and failed), etc etc.. on the same topic, a DIR buddy is always aware and is able to deliver GAS in ‘out of gas’ situation as soon as I signal it. Is able to help and provide assistance in a timely and precise matter when needed., etc etc.. That actually may seem like an easy thing, you can probably say, oh yeah, anybody can do it, but it does take a lot of hours of training with your buddy to get to that level, and don’t let anybody fool you to tell you otherwise.

Being underwater is not a natural thing for any of us, and the skills we get are from training and repetitive drills., and being a good buddy, a DIR buddy, is no different.

While Fundamentals students get hammered on skills more than anything else, the TriOx and Tech students already show solid skills underwater, but they now get hammered more on team awareness. Trust me – I know!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom